Real County and Surrounds Areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
    I always see advertisements for trapping axis in all the area feed stores and processors
    definitely lots of trapping done by high fence game ranches. seems like more and more are going up out our direction

Comment

I've hunted a buddies place for 25+ years around Campwood. The trapping is incredibly frustrating and has impacted axis numbers at times. He countered the trapping with increasing food and put 7 water stations out on 400 acres so the animals don't need to leave his place. Axis numbers are excellent and he has one on camera would pull $4000+ on a HF ranch, it's a freaking beast.

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
        I've hunted a buddies place for 25+ years around Campwood. The trapping is incredibly frustrating and has impacted axis numbers at times. He countered the trapping with increasing food and put 7 water stations out on 400 acres so the animals don't need to leave his place. Axis numbers are excellent and he has one on camera would pull $4000+ on a HF ranch, it's a freaking beast.
        Wow that is one way to get after it!!! We have 2 water spots on 50 acres, 3 feeders, 1 protein, 2 Chaffee feeders as well. It seems to be getting worse the past few years, and with axis roaming it makes them an easy target.

Comment

I’m 7.5 miles West of Leakey, Axis are around but I’m told not like they used to be, maybe trapping. I’ve been told in bad drought years they head to the rivers? I have 6-water stations out now and 4-protein feeders and we keep alfalfa out in feed pens. Have seen Cow Elk on game camera and Red Stag but they come and go.

Comment

Axis which belong to the state like whitetails are being trapped and sold to high fence ranches. Seems like the tpwd would stop this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
              Axis which belong to the state like whitetails are being trapped and sold to high fence ranches. Seems like the tpwd would stop this crap.
              this is no different than people trapping hogs.

Comment

Axis are not owned by the state of Texas. They are an exotic and not even listed as a game animal in Texas.

Comment

You might want to read into what the term "exotic" means and what that implies.

Comment

Originally posted by Reel cajun View Post
                    I’m 7.5 miles West of Leakey, Axis are around but I’m told not like they used to be, maybe trapping. I’ve been told in bad drought years they head to the rivers? I have 6-water stations out now and 4-protein feeders and we keep alfalfa out in feed pens. Have seen Cow Elk on game camera and Red Stag but they come and go.
                    Are you off 337?

Comment

Working...
                    X