Tumbling primed brass?🤫

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tumbling primed brass?🤫

I talked to a fellow the other day who said he sometimes tumbles brass after hand priming. It got me wondering, is this OK? Crazy, or normal?

It seems like a bad idea all the way around.
    Your not getting the primer pockets cleaned and running the risk of damaging the primer.

Comment

I myself wouldn’t do it. I worry about the media sticking in the hole as it is. But I at least can hold it to a light and see it’s open.

Comment

I would probably try to be polite. And find someone else to talk to.

Comment

Bad idea. The internal side of the primer is exposed and tumbling media can eat away at the propellent. I have been reloading for 40+ years and have never even heard of anyone doing that or recommending it.

Comment

If it is clean enough to prime, why run it again?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
              If it is clean enough to prime, why run it again?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
              He was telling me about finding a bunch that he had primed and stored and forgotten about. When he found it, it was dingy looking. I told him I'd have loaded it as it was. Dull finish on the brass won't hurt anything. But he has already tumbled it when he told me about it.

Comment

De prime it first, then tumble and re prime, with new primers of course. How many cases we talking about ?

Comment

He said it was a couple of hundred. He "knows what he's doing", so I'm out of it. I wonder how it's going to shoot after he loads it. His big deal is he thought he had found a big prize but wanted it to look shiny. I told him I thought he was nuts but he acted like it was no big deal. That's why I posted to begin with.

Comment

Never

Comment

I tumble loaded pistol ammo in corn cob all the time. It removes the case lube in about 15 mins. No issues and factory ammo is tumbled before its boxed. It doesn't degrade the powder, that myth has been busted many times. I wouldn't tumbled primed cases for fear of getting media stuck in the flash hole.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck no! I wet tumble with stainless media.

Comment

Sounds like a an easy way to create hangfires and squib loads.

Comment

Yeah, a good way to get gunk in the flash hole. In my opinion.

Comment

I tumble loaded ammo or all calibers but never primed empty cases. Some small amounts of Media will get stuck in the primers guaranteed.

Comment

Working...
                              X