Son's First Archery Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son's First Archery Deer

My son decided that he wanted to kill a deer with a bow this year so we got his bow hunting ready over the summer and some practice in between all of the other outdoor stuff we do. I've been a little nervous about the poundage he's pulling and if penetration would be an issue. Hopes were high last weekend as we headed to the lease. The goal was a hog first to calm some nerves and then maybe a doe or cull if the shot was right. We made 4 hunts and never had an animal come into bow range due to the heat and recent rains. Fast forward to this Saturday morning......

We settled in at our place in Columbus and had deer out immediately. We've been practicing out of the blind and had a small stick at 12 yards for our range finder as I didn't want him shooting any further. The does milled around for 30 minutes and never presented a shot and I could tell he was disappointed. A bit later a small 8 came by looking for does and then bolted back into the woods. Sure enough, he had spotted some does working their way in and was pushing them straight to us. From here it happened quick. I told him to grab his bow and get ready. He could not see the deer approaching at this point. The first doe trotted in with the help of the 8 and started feeding, offering the perfect shot. I gave him the nod to draw and hoped that all of our talks about taking your time and picking a spot would pay off. When he actually got drawn without being spotted, I was thinking this may happen. He let the arrow loose and it shot just over her back and stuck in the ground. For some reason, the deer were all super calm and the shot only bumped her 20 yards or so. The other deer never even acknowledged the shot. The wind was blowing a bit and his bow is crazy quiet. Before I know it, he's asking for another arrow and the others are filtering in. I whisper a few things in his ear as another target steps right into the shooting lane. Once again he draws undetected and lets it fly. This time he connects, height was good but appeared to be way back. The doe runs off with arrow stuck in it as expected and the others scatter. Penetration looked ok but the shot was back. We later eased out of the stand and returned in an hour or so to look for blood or the arrow finding nothing. I knew I was rushing but we had astros tickets for the 3 pm game and were limited on time. We made a large sweep of the area in the direction that she headed and still found no sign. I had little hope at this point. Upon giving up the search I noticed buzzards circling a patch of woods roughly 300 yards in the opposite direction that she ran. I could tell they were surely looking at something but none were on the ground. We eased into the area hoping they would show us what they were looking at. I sat in the brush and they circled treetop high cutting their wings as if they wanted to land. I knew they surely had something at this point. I bumped a small buck easing through the brush and decided to walk to where he was bedded. Sure enough, there was his doe, laying in the only open area of the thicket. We celebrated, high fived and then kicked it into gear as we were short on time. Upon skinning the deer, his initial shot penetrated completely and pierced the opposite side but then backed into the cavity. He hit liver and guts but the magnus broadhead absolutely wrecked the inside of her when she was running. The broadhead eventually unscrewed from the arrow and was in the body cavity. Luck went our way this time and it was a lot of fun. 18" draw 26lbs.
    Attached Files

Well done!

Comment

Heck yeah. Congratulations young man and dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to him! Im sure hes hooked now

Comment

Awesome! Kids getting it done this past weekend!

Comment

Way to go! Great job both father and son.

Comment

Awesome, congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Waydago! that's great

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats young man!

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Congratulations to the both of you!

Comment

Heck yeah congrats!

Comment

Congratulations to the young man! Dad too. He's getting started right.

Comment

Working...
                              X