No announcement yet.

Land clearing question for yall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can tell you don't hire bumpers construction or the guy who works for the county and has a hydroaxe on the side

That said I'd use a hydroaxe

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
      It’s in Robertson county, sandy loam, yaupon, large and small oaks, cedars. Looking to clear maybe an acre for cabin and possible food plot. A small place. Wife wants a nice place with fire pit, lights etc. A place to invite people. Its almost 12 acres.
      I’ve only got one stretch of fence to run so I’d like some cleared land but still have a privacy barrier around that. The parcel is divided by a small right of way and surrounded by a large ranch on three sides. I realize I can’t manage 12 acres but would like to do something that is beneficial to the wildlife, as far as clearing is concerned.
      Easy then have someone with a trackhoe clear cabin sight and surrounding area.

Have fence rows and trails mulched later.

Comment

For that, if it were me. A dozer and a root rake would be my first choice.

Comment

Behind my property they put in a pipeline in which was cleared with mulcher on a skidder. This was approximately 5 years ago. I have kept it mowed with one of my shredders on a regular basis. It’s still rough but the grass was decent after about 3 years. Given this I would opt for a dozer with rake and root plow if you want it as a pasture or yard/home place. Underbrushing I would opt for a mulcher. This is in deep east tx.

Comment

Dozers leave big holes and mulchers leave lots of mulch. Mulch will deteriorate on there own, but those holes need to be filled.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
              For that, if it were me. A dozer and a root rake would be my first choice.
              This is the right answer. Mulching g looks great and is cleaner at first. But you’ll pay hell I. The long run.

Comment

When there is multiple inches of mulch on the ground, grass does not grow well at all in those area for a good while. I rented a skid steer with grapple for our place. I took a week off and put 70 working hours on it. It came out to around $45 an hour that I paid to rent it.

Comment

A week of labor and effort alone would cost me $3-4k. Plus the rental. Hit a good dozer operator and be done with it.

Comment

Seems like about half and half!

Comment

Clearing a little bit of 12 acres….I’d rent a big tracked skid steer and do all you can do. If there’s things you find that you can’t do, it will be a short and specific list to hire done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by deano70 View Post
                        give Stolle on here a ring. he does great work and he's a TBH dude.
                        What I suggest as well. I betting his work for you would mirror the same work he would do for himself.
                        Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Clearing a little bit of 12 acres….I’d rent a big tracked skid steer and do all you can do. If there’s things you find that you can’t do, it will be a short and specific list to hire done.

I agree. This is the right move.

Comment

I’ve had dozer clear road and fields, did a good job fast. Downside is the 12 brush piles to burn and the ones in the woods still still there I can’t burn. Next two times I hired a guy with mulched on skid steer. Both were clearing yaupons, widening roads, clearing fields, etc. I liked the mulched better, where he cleared I can mow and keep it cleared. As far as debri, after it rots, disc it up, its like adding fertilizer. The mulched went into some small clearings and kept running back and forth, all I had on ground was like that mulch you buy at Home Depot. Already planning another job for the spring.

Comment

The $125 an hour guys are the ones knocking all the hide as you call it off the trees LOL Those weekend warrior types give the whole mulching industry a bad rap. I’ve got dozers up to a D9 and mulchers from 110 to 380 hp and deal with this stuff daily. With what your looking for find a reputable company and get away from the cheap guys and you will get what your looking for. We often rake up the mulch and haul it off for those that want it gone ASAP and then we grind what stumps are left sticking up and it’s a turn key ready to use site.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me, your to far away for me to help you but I can answer any questions you might have.

Comment

Working...
                              X