I think I'm done with turnips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm done with turnips

I just can't get the deer to eat them. Even on cold years like last year. Not worth the hassle.

Don’t give up on them, the deer will eventually eat them. The benefits they provide to your soil are worth it regardless of wether or not deer eat them

Comment

Sooner or later the big bucks will turnip!

Comment

I never had any luck with them either. I had my best success in food plots with clover and wheat.

Comment

I wont eat turnips either.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeJ View Post
            I just can't get the deer to eat them. Even on cold years like last year. Not worth the hassle.
            Use a different type. Some Brassicas are bitter. Try radishes, sugar beets or some type of tuberless brassica such as Rape. They are sweet and very tasty, ask me how I know.

Comment

Have you ever eaten turnips? Do you blame them? I am just messing. I too had trouble getting them to eat them, then one really cold day, I looked out my window of the house down to the foodplot that only had turnips left and a beautiful buck was solo down there mowing them down. He was the only deer I ever saw in them. I mostly have tried mixes and if turnips are in them, I will plant, if the mix doesnt have them, then I dont. Good luck.

Comment

To turnip, or not to turnip, that is the question !

I ain't ever had a deer, or even a hog, eat the tops or the tubers. Daikon radish for the win !

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  Use a different type. Some Brassicas are bitter. Try radishes, sugar beets or some type of tuberless brassica such as Rape. They are sweet and very tasty, ask me how I know.
                  Not in the lease bit a farmer myself...but...is there really a type of turnip called...rape?

Edit: would Google to find out but on a work computer.

Comment

It's not always about food value. Turnips and other tuber plants are irreplaceable to SOIL nutrition, which in turn produces other preferred plants for deer. See Elgato and his thread, a year in the life of a farm.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                      Not in the lease bit a farmer myself...but...is there really a type of turnip called...rape?

Edit: would Google to find out but on a work computer.
                      No there isn't, but there is a Brassica that is called Rape. It has no turnip or tuber and it isn't bitter and deer love it.

Check out QDMA and its article on "Forage Rape for deer", it is also called Brassica Napus
                      Last edited by lovemylegacy; 02-07-2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Regular7 View Post
                        Don’t give up on them, the deer will eventually eat them. The benefits they provide to your soil are worth it regardless of wether or not deer eat them
                        What are the benefits?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                          What are the benefits?
                          In deep Winter sometimes that's the only thing that will grow and they are healthy food for the deer. A better benefit from greens/turnips is when you plow them under they are an excellent natural fertilizer. I plant a blend that has a Brassica in it and it is sweet to the taste, deer will eat it as soon as it comes out of the ground. Its scientific name is Brassica napus, aka Rape or Rapeseed. It is awesome choice for a plot.

This past Fall, the deer wiped it out of my plots, first time I had seen that.

Comment

In deep Winter sometimes that's the only thing that will grow and they are healthy food for the deer. A better benefit from greens/turnips is when you plow them under they are an excellent natural fertilizer. I plant a blend that has a Brassica in it and it is sweet to the taste, deer will eat it as soon as it comes out of the ground. Its scientific name is Brassica napus, aka Rape or Rapeseed. It is awesome choice for a plot.

Where do you get this Calvin and how much it is?

Comment

exactly

Comment

Working...
                              X