No announcement yet.

Kicking the habit - any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did Chantex but it took 2 times didn’t finish to the very last pill 1st time but
    2nd time I did, just DO NOT take pill on empty stomach, take with A food . Every-time, tried everything else to stop to no avail

Been about 10 yrs now

Comment

Read the book The Easy Way To Quit Smoking by Alan Carr

Comment

When you decide to quit you’ll quit! It’s all on you. We can only give our perspective as to our motivations to quit but when you decide your done only then will you have the will power to do it!
        I quit drinking cold turkey after a dwi. I just knew it was time.
        I quit smoking when I got to the point I couldn’t do anything without gasping for air. I was always in good shape till then. Again I knew it was time.
        I quit dipping cold turkey. Just made up my mind I was done. That was the absolute hardest. I wanted a dip of snuff every single **** day for a solid year! But again, I knew it was time!

Now if I could only get my eating under control!!!! Havnt quite made up my mind yet but I know it’s time and it’s all on me!

Good luck! Stay strong!!

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
          I did Chantex but it took 2 times didn’t finish to the very last pill 1st time but

2nd time I did, just DO NOT take pill on empty stomach, take with A food . Every-time, tried everything else to stop to no avail

Been about 10 yrs now
          Chantix here too. Cut my cravings at least 60%. 30 year habit. This time for good. Been at least 4 years now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Sitting in an ER bed with your blood pressure at 218/106 and your wife and daughter in a chair looking at you helpless. (which smoking wasn't the only cause but it wasn't helping)

Threw them out 2 days later and never looked again and haven't had the urge either.
            Feel great, more energy and can breathe again.

Been 3.5 months and wish I had done it sooner.

Gum, seeds, toothpicks. Its not a need for nicotine with me, it was more of habit of doing something.

Comment

Come spend a day with me. I smoked from 13 to 45. Did 3 paks a day.
              I now have to rest so I can breath every 50 feet or so.
              I cannot play with my great grand children.
              then they say 5 years.
              Im 64.
              But until you decide to quit its an uphill run.
              When you quit set goals like Im good for 2 days then go for 3 and so on.
              I quit 20 years ago and I still get the urge at the dangest times like 3 am.
              Luck and prayers to you brother.

Comment

I am 5 months free from smoking. I quit several times in the past only to start again. I got a prescription for welbutrin for two months that helped. I still want a smoke from time to time, mainly if I am having a beer. I haven't cheated though. I think that you really have to want to quit and have the right mindset to break the habit. I wish you the best of luck. I already feel better since quitting.

Comment

I’ve tried Chantix and Wellbutrin but they haven’t worked for me yet. Think it’s just because in my head I “wasn’t ready”. It’s fixing to be time for me to put them down. At work it’s just so easy since I work outside. And for the people saying it kills you, yea and so does driving, cell phone,”s, and old age. My uncle was smoke free his entire 42 years and never lived with smokers and still passed away due to lung cancer. And I’ve also known people who smoked their entire life and never got cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I struggled with tobacco for over 30 years. I would substitute one form for another, repeat.

In 2008 I quit it all, cold turkey, and haven't looked back. That is the only thing that worked for me.
                    Last edited by grizzman; 01-05-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Tradman1971 View Post
                        Vape!!
                        Good advice, by the way. My uncle and I successfuly gave up smoking due to e-cigs. Vape pens still contain nicotine, but the dose is very little meanwhile the price is rather loyal comparing to cigarettes. If you want to vape 100% safe and nicotine-free, you can always switch to vaporizers (I currently use airis vaporizer ), happily the assortment is really huge, for different budgets. The money saving is very significant, and damage to health is close to zero.

Comment

Don't vape, E-cig, dip, chew, or chew nicotine gum. I quit smoking (Cold Turkey) after 12 years of Marlboro Reds and Lights. I was going through 1-2 packs a day at the end. That was almost 30 years ago. Just quit and don't do it again...ever. Remember, if you're thinking about it, you've already seen its a problem. Don't wuss out and say "maybe just when I drink" either.

Comment

Just seeing this so hopefully you are still trying or have quit. I quit April 2018 after smoking for 45+ years (I'm 63...). Did the patch starting with the strongest patch for a couple of weeks, then the next patch for a couple then started the lower one and said screw it. Quit them too

Had some level of urge most days to smoke. Just kept saying NO!! Now I don't even think about it and hate the smell. Wife quit a month and a half later but she has smoked again but says she isn't going to any more. Well see...

Last February my oldest sister (life long smoker) was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell carcinoma and given 6-8 months to live. Treatments are working well and she hasn't died yet. YET!! With small cell it's only a matter of time...

All I can say is quit. Patch, gum, vape, cold turkey, murderous rampage, whatever, just quit!!

God bless brother

Comment

Good luck. I stopped chewing cold turkey 5+ weeks ago. You can do it. First few days were the roughest. I chose to stop on a work trip. Made it easier for those first few days - as I was with co-workers and customers, I *had* to be nice while going through the first stages of withdrawals. Chew gum, drink lots of water. You can do it! KJ

Comment

I smoked for 8 years and also dipped for half that time. My mother told me she wished I would quit for her as a mother's day gift. I tried to quit that first year cold turkey and couldnt make it, I went crazy.

The second mothers day she had the same idea. I wore the step 1 patch (like 24mg of nicotine) for 3 days. During that time i sucked on a golf tee and chewed lots of gum and was also going to the gym twice a day. I was also underweight so i ate more as well to try and fill the void. When I took the patch off after day 3 it was still a struggle, i did as many activites i could to sweat and drink as much water. I was succesful on that attempt which was my second serious attempt to quit. 5 years tobacco free!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X