Sick, Just Old, or Both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick, Just Old, or Both?

Here are 3 years worth of pics we have of an 8pt that has something wrong with him. As you can see, he was a strapping specimen in 2014. As bucks do, he looked younger in September 2014, but I think he was easily 4yo judging by December 2014 when he was filled out. However, when he showed back up in 2015, his antlers seem to have plateaued and possibly even gotten smaller and his body (specifically the back end) started wasting away with his pelvis and spine noticeably protruding. His core travel area seems to have dwindled significantly, too. We thought he was sick or injured his back, and wasn't long for this world. I don't believe he was ever seen in person to observe how he looks. Much to our surprise, he survived and looks even worse. How the coyotes haven't taken him down is beyond me. So, if he's sick it seems like he would have died long ago. Maybe he just survived some kind of illness or injury, and it's just left him depleted for the rest of his days. I'm also entertaining the idea that he may be one of those bucks that just looks young well into maturity, and then just goes downhill fast at some point. With that in mind, maybe he was older than 4yo in 2014, and just didn't show it. Thoughts?

September 2014
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0057_zpsa53d3d50_Sept2014_TBH.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	25095515

Name:	PICT0081_zps56355c0a_Sept2014_TBH.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	25095516
    December 2014

Name:	IMG_0168_crop_Dec2014_TBH.jpg
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	25095517

November 2015

Name:	HUNT0414_crop_Nov2015_TBH.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	25095519

Name:	HUNT0826_crop_Nov2015_TBH.jpg
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	25095520
    December 2015

Name:	Hippy 8pt_Dec2015_TBH.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	25095518

August 2016

Name:	IMG_07441_crop_Aug2016_TBH.jpg
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	25095521

Man, thats a tough one. He may be sick, but if thats the case I dont see how he would have made it this long. I really think he is older than you think, maybe 7 or even 8, rather than 6. No doubt he is having a rough go....

Comment

Tough one. I'm thinking he's just old, 7.5+.

Comment

Man that dude is skinny. He was pretty poor looking in 15 too. Looks to me like he might have a busted hip.

Comment

can't tell...STUMPED!!!

I say both

Comment

Looks like he could have a parasite infestation, worms can do some crazy stuff to animals. Try slipping some medicated feed into his feeding area to see what happens.
            Last edited by tex4k; 09-09-2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I think its a combonation of him being a little older in 2014 than you thought he was and possibly an injury to his left hip.

Could be that he was somewhere around 7.5 in Dec of 2014 and just looked like a 4.5 cause his body was already going down.

But then again, I'm just guessing

Comment

He looks 5.5 to me in 2014 but it's hard to tell from pictures I prefer videos or seeing in person for an accurate age. He does appear to have injured his hip like others say, have you seen him in person walking? You may want to set your camera on video to see how he's walking.

Comment

You can boil those bones and make soup! I believe that he has something wrong with him (sick.) He needs to go.

Comment

His headgear still looks pretty good for a deer that seems so malnourished -look how well you can see his backbone!

Comment

Seems to me like he messed his hip up sometime in 2015. It sticks up higher than his back bone which obviously isn't normal. I would say that has something to do with how drawn up he is, but on top of that he's old.

Comment

He looks old and wormy to me.

Comment

He gonna die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He definitely has a rear leg/hip problem. Look how that back leg looks stiff in most of the pictures.

Comment

he's old, ease his pain

Comment

Working...
                              X