Best mud bugs near Ft Worth???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
    We should have bugs in Feb, we are going to try and do them a little differently this year, thinking about just having them on Fridays and Saturdays, maybe going to steam them then soak in seasoned water, saw it on a you tube channel, looks really good, may just cook so many and when we are out we are out. With the way our concept is it is tough to have them daily. I have been researching different ways of doing them, any advice is greatly appreciated.
    There is a place in Lampasas, Toupsies, that sells them on Fri, Sat, Sun and when they are out they are out. Seems to work well

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
      I boil alot every year. They stay alive for several days on ice or in cool temps. Im guessing restaurants get several orders per week?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wondered how long they would live. I’ve never done it before. I do have a distributor a few miles from my restaurant so they are readily accessible.

Comment

When you order them from HEB they come in Friday night on ice. You typically pick them up Saturday. I have done Sunday boils this way. That's 2-3 days alive out of water. The question is how long are they out of their living place prior to hitting the truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Mortality rate is fairly high especially with the early bugs, to be honest they are a pain in the arse to deal with, especially the way our restaurants are set up, we had mixed results last year, I hope to really improve our product this year.

Comment

Had the first bugs of the season last night at Fish City Grill in Mansfield they were pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're ever in the Lake Fork area, we've got a couple of really good places out here. They are way too crowded for me so I pick them up and bring them to the house.

Comment

Rockfish in Arlington was pretty good last year at the TBH get together. I don’t remember what spice level I got but they were spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I was talking with my manager this morning, he said our supplier brought us a couple of pounds to sample last week, he said they were small, I think we will wait until they are large and hopefully cheaper before we start offering them.

Comment

Thanks Guys, we always go to Bo-Rays and they are good.
                    (kind of pricey $9.50 a pound)

Just looking for different options!

Comment

Working...
                    X