James Daughtrey Bow Hunt Jan 1-4th! Liveeeee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was luck enough to get drawn for either bow either sex down at the James Daughtrey WMA which just so happens to be one of my favorite places to go!

Figured I would get a thread going as I have done in the past for these hunts and will do my best to keep you guys up to date.

Early forecast is showing highs in the mid 60’s and lows in the low 40’s which is fine with me! Planning on getting a portable tripod to set up over 2 spots with hand corn but spending most of my time still hunting with horns in hand. Of course this can all change depending on the unit I get and the advice I’ll be seeking from Chris and the gang down there.

Also will try to keep it live on Instagram as much as possible so feel free to follow there @brockoleeee

Here is a previous Daughtrey live thread that was a fun one:

Also, anyone else drawn for the hunt and will be down there?
    Last edited by 150class; 12-20-2018, 11:26 AM.

In my judgement that was one of the best threads of all time! Guess this means i’ll have To get Instagram. Do you put the write up on Instagram also or just the photos? ( I know, this is an old people question)

I’ve been wondering when you were going to live hunt again! You set the bar high.

Comment

Awesome! Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
        In my judgement that was one of the best threads of all time! Guess this means i’ll have To get Instagram. Do you put the write up on Instagram also or just the photos? ( I know, this is an old people question)

I’ve been wondering when you were going to live hunt again! You set the bar high.
        Just videos on Instagram to keep a continuous feed going.

I’ll make sure updates and photos are still abundant on here!

Been wanting to do more live threads but unfortunately they were bringing to much attention to the lease I’m on so I stopped doing those. A public land live hunt is no issue though

Comment

Just went back to re-read your 2015 hunt. Epic story. In for the updates on this one. Good luck!

Comment

I talked to biologist the other day about stand bys. He said maybe 1 only. That's a long drive for me for 1 standby.

Comment

I was down there last week for the gun management hunt. There were probably 7 standbys available with 8 who showed up. One guy went home. Everybody felt bad for the dude.

Sam and Murray are running the show and did a great job. Extremely helpful and friendly.

Check out all the antlered skulls laying around the headquarters. Lots of big bucks die of old age/natural causes down there.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                I was down there last week for the gun management hunt. There were probably 7 standbys available with 8 who showed up. One guy went home. Everybody felt bad for the dude.

Sam and Murray are running the show and did a great job. Extremely helpful and friendly.

Check out all the antlered skulls laying around the headquarters. Lots of big bucks die of old age/natural causes down there.

Good luck!

Great info and thanks! What unit did you hunt? Anyone see any good ones?

Weather for the week so far

Comment

I was actually hunting in South Shore State Park. The gun management hunt, which included South Shore, North Shore and Daughtery, was headquartered and run out of Daughtrey.

I spoke to some folks who hunted Daughtrey proper and they saw bucks that didn’t meet the management guidelines, i.e. too big. So yeah, they are there and hitting corn.

As for me, I took a doe and passed on a spike that I was hoping would have come out on the last day but he didn’t. I was holding out for a big 6 or 7.

Comment

Knocked out some much needed practice today with the stick and string.
                    20-50yards.

Weather is looking solid and just found out I never clicked book for my hotel so no there’s no vacancy anywhere in town lol
                    Tossing a mattress in the bed of the truck with a couple sleeping bags and roughing it

Last edited by 150class; 12-27-2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Also realized I don’t have a freaking quiver lol

Have to run to the shop sometime today or tomorrow

Comment

There should be lots of places to camp in the park this time of year. We'll be staying in the camper in the park.

Comment

The youth either sex gun is rocking and rolling and this guy knocked down a stud in the north shore units!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Less than 24hrs and I’ll be back in the south Texas brush!
                            Did some more practicing and this was my last grouping at 60. Made a small adjustment and drilled the dot on the next shot and called it good.

Last edited by 150class; 12-31-2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Also was in Uvalde helping out with some culling and the lady friend smoked this guy at 225 yards with the APR 257 wby

Couple more culls the 257 put to rest
                              Last edited by 150class; 12-31-2018, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X