Mary’s in Strawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EZ40 View Post
    I might try it again one day but I'd have a hard time convincing my brother and buddy. It gets brought up every time we pass the billboard on 20. It was really that bad of an experience. We sat there 15-20 minutes before anyone took our drink order. Food was extremely late and steak was badly burnt.
    I feel your pain buddy. I am not very forgiving myself when I have a bad experience like that. I had a similar experience at the Hard 8 in Stephenville(where I live)that everyone brags about. I ended up throwing a 20 dollar porkchop in the trash that I could not eat and swore that I would never go back......... and I haven`t. Good Luck.

Comment

Love Mary’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
        Mary's is good, but not quite the same since Mary don't cook no more.
        That is not correct. She cooks quite a bit on Sundays. I know a girl that works there every weekend and I ask who`s cooking when we go on Sunday. The "Mexican Dinner" is great... especially when Mary cooks.

Comment

I have never been to Mary's. My favorites were always George's in Waco and Hills Cafe in Austin. Hill Country Cupboard 8n Johnson City was right there too.

There's a place called Hays City Store near Wimberley. The CFS is like no other. It is fork tender, no knife needed. Pan fried ribeye. The gravy is pan style made from the grease like you make at home. The flavor is amazing. Much better than basic cream gravy from a restaurant.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 11-19-2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Try New York Hill on 20 in Thurber, it's goooood!

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
              I have never been to Mary's. My favorites were always George's in Waco and Hills Cafe in Austin. Hill Country Cupboard 8n Johnson City was right there too.

There's a place called Hays City Store near Wimberley. The CFS is like no other. It is fork tender, no knife needed. Pan fried ribeye. The gravy is pan style made from the grease like you make at home. The flavor is amazing. Much better than basic cream gravy from a restaurant.

You gotta go man. Large chicken fry. Fries. Bunch of cold shiner on tap. You’d love it

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                You gotta go man. Large chicken fry. Fries. Bunch of cold shiner on tap. You’d love it
                I'm sure I would. I'm not picky. I like beer and food. Lol. You basically just described George's too which is greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post

[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love Mary's. we have a tradition that we stop there to eat on the way home if one of my kids kills at the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                      I agree. Been there many time as well. Actually longer than Mary`s, just not as many times by far. You can also go to BJ`s in Mingus from the same exit (exit 370) at the Smokestack. It is about 1 mile off of the interstate on 108 North. The Pizza is "Awesome", the beer is cold and a few hot chicks work there .

Comment

Originally posted by EZ40 View Post
                        I had one of the worst dining experiences of my life there last year so I won't be meeting up. Horrible food and the service was even worse.

I don’t get the fascination either. While I wouldn’t have called the food terrible, I was highly disappointed in the CFS that everyone brags about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

There are better things to eat at George's IMO than chicken fried steak. I only had it once and was average.

Comment

I like me some Mary’s CFS!

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                              That is not correct. She cooks quite a bit on Sundays. I know a girl that works there every weekend and I ask who`s cooking when we go on Sunday. The "Mexican Dinner" is great... especially when Mary cooks.
                              Right, but the consistency lacks these days because shes not manning the post all of the time. Back in the day, you were always in for a treat regardless.

Disclaimer, it's always serviceable but ALWAYS better when Mary cooks. Its just the way things be
                              Last edited by eradicator; 11-19-2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                                I agree. Been there many time as well. Actually longer than Mary`s, just not as many times by far. You can also go to BJ`s in Mingus from the same exit (exit 370) at the Smokestack. It is about 1 mile off of the interstate on 108 North. The Pizza is "Awesome", the beer is cold and a few hot chicks work there .
                                BJ's does make some fantastic pizza!

Comment

Working...
                                X