No announcement yet.

Menard 2020-2021 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of Menard County is dry except for the western edge that received a good rain last week. Seeing lots of fawns and a few little turkeys. We have a chance for rain today and praying we get one as they are predicting 100-106 temperatures for the weekend and Monday. After this hot spell, there will not be any green if we don't get a good rain today.
    Deer are really moving, trying to rustle food while fawns are nursing. I am seeing body condition of the does decline rapidly. I would suggest that you feed protein free choice for this period, if you can afford it as it will greatly improve fawn survival rate and help finish out antler growth.
    Hogs and Axis populations continue to increase and expand across the county, primarily from south to north.
    Stay cool and Adios,
    Gary

Comment

Thanks for the report Gary, always appreciated.

Comment

We're raising king grass hoppers over here in Hext.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustled Again View Post
          We're raising king grass hoppers over here in Hext.
          They are thick just North of town too, Turkeys should be having a field day with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
            Most of Menard County is dry except for the western edge that received a good rain last week. Seeing lots of fawns and a few little turkeys. We have a chance for rain today and praying we get one as they are predicting 100-106 temperatures for the weekend and Monday. After this hot spell, there will not be any green if we don't get a good rain today.
            Deer are really moving, trying to rustle food while fawns are nursing. I am seeing body condition of the does decline rapidly. I would suggest that you feed protein free choice for this period, if you can afford it as it will greatly improve fawn survival rate and help finish out antler growth.
            Hogs and Axis populations continue to increase and expand across the county, primarily from south to north.
            Stay cool and Adios,
            Gary
            As usual, great report, Gary. Thanks for the information. I might be going this weekend, but 106 sounds a little cool to me. 😂😂

Comment

Headed down this weekend to top off feeders and chase axis

Comment

We did get a rain in the central and eastern part of the county yesterday. I had .9" in the edge of town. I think that it rained pretty hard east and SE of town. We didn't get a drop on the three ranches where we are running cattle south of town. Hopefully, it will build up again today and give us a break before this scorcher of a weekend. Calling for 110 in San Angelo. At 6:00 PM yesterday I was watching KLST out of San Angelo and they showed the map with various temperatures on it. 67 degrees in Menard and 97 in Junction...don't see that very often. 30 miles and 30 degrees apart.
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

Thanks for the report Gary. Looks like we may have picked up a 1/2'' just North of town yesterday according to Weather.gov

Comment

Got reports of 2"+ east of town along Hwy. 29 5-10 miles out. Rains were very spotty and now it looks like the heat is coming in tomorrow until next Thursday. After this spell, I am sure that we will be "extra crispy". These does nursing fawns sure need a boost...
                    Adios,
                    Gary

Comment

Got an 1” west of town. Deer are hammering cotton seed and anything else they can find

Comment

Cleo area is very dry. Deer are hitting feeders very hard. Seeing nice axis bucks and a lot of pigs around water. Grasshoppers are out in full force.

Comment

Record heat here for the last week. I moved here in 1985 and I have never seen temperature over 105 for five days in a row. The nice rain that we got last week is gone and grass is really drying quickly as you would imagine. I have friends that saw temperatures over 110 for two or three days. I visited with buddy at Sanderson and he had 111. Those of you that can afford it, I highly recommend that you feed protein free choice for the next two months so that we don't loose this fawn crop. Most does have two fawns and are really showing stress from this hot, dry weather. A fire north of Brady started yesterday and from what I am hearing, it is difficult to contain. Praying that more fires don't get started.
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

Thanks for the reports y’all. Hopefully we will get some rain out there soon but based on the forecast it won’t be in the next 7 days.

Comment

It’s hot and dry out there. It’s amazing how different the place looks from a month ago. We made a quick trip and setup a new MoultrieMobile camera. I knew my new spot didn’t have service so I added it to an existing setup.

I’m going out at the end of this week to setup a new box blind and hammer some pigs.

My new spot makes the cows happy!

Comment

What’s my best place to go jump in the river next Saturday?

Our place is between Junction and Menard off 2291. Not looking to get to far away from camp.

Comment

Working...
                                X