A hypothetical for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
    I sold off some investment properties. I finally had enough to buy my dream place or to reinvest it in more real estate or stocks. Much like the situation you described.

I chose to buy the property because owning my own place has always been my dream.

Could I have retired earlier? Sure. But I don't hate working as much as I love having my own place.

Would the ROI be higher on investments? Depends on if you're looking at returns on paper or returns on how it feels pulling in your own gate!
    We did the same, bought a slightly smaller ranch with the idea of buying more later on, however I also know that my income will be fairly high for the foreseeable future with a likely buyout at the end of my career.

That money will then be used to buy our final ranch.

Originally posted by Merc View Post
    My caveat to the OP on the property purchase is, what'll the annual expenses be on that and can you continue to afford it in the long run?

Write out your pros and cons as well as you can on the expenses on each and see where you land. Part of this would be an emotional decision, but it needs to be logical at the same time. I.e. I could buy a big nice ranch now, but I couldn't afford the upkeep, equipment and taxes on it without working so much I couldnt enjoy it.

Sent from somewhere
    Excellent points.

Our ‘relaxation ranch’ sure is a lot of work, and that’s without considering the financial obligations they go along with ownership...

Not much porch-sitting goes on right now

Comment

Given the two options you presented, I’d go with buying a place. I’m not really interested in starting a business.

For 300k I could grab 200 acres or so and cut a little timber off of it after close, to recover a little. Would definitely go that route if something came up that joined me somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
        We did the same, bought a slightly smaller ranch with the idea of buying more later on, however I also know that my income will be fairly high for the foreseeable future with a likely buyout at the end of my career.

That money will then be used to buy our final ranch.

Excellent points.

Our ‘relaxation ranch’ sure is a lot of work, and that’s without considering the financial obligations they go along with ownership...

Not much porch-sitting goes on right now
        I know what you're saying. Its been two years and I don't think I've sat on the porch yet!

Comment

Well, I'll be 73 this month, have my SS and military retirement coming each month, and retirement fund as well, so you know I'd be shopping for land.

Comment

Finish up a couple of things I've been putting off around the place and refinance my mortgage with the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
              Thanks for following along! Everyone's situation is different; Im just curious about the these two options.

I tend to lean the same direction towards property.
              Early in my life I would have started the business. Now, I'd buy the land. If really good and you pass then send my way. I'm half way looking and the right deal I'd jump on it.

Comment

Pay off my house and pocket the rest.

Comment

What would it cost you to do both? Take out a small business loan and use a chunk of the money as the down payment on the land.

Comment

Anyone else reading this thread with their fingers crossed hoping their investment plan isn't posted

Comment

Id pay off all my debt since we already own a nice property. If we hadnt bought yet, we’d buy what we wanted within or slightly above that price range and build our dream house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
                        Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.
                        Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
                        Lawrence: **** straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.
                        Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
                        Lawrence: Well the kind of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.

Comment

Working...
                        X