Employee "Stole" From Me: What to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
    Exactly but 99% of people who would do this aren't real smart to begin with. I have become very skeptical of most people nowadays. I know there are some people that have actually fallen on hard times for reasons they can't control. But i look at it like this...you can go through a rough patch...but a rough patch shouldn't last 20 yrs. If you have been having "bad luck" for 20 years it is probably a "you problem"

People either aren't smart enough or too **** lazy to get out of these rough patches.
    This^^

Comment

Don't worry about what will happen to him and how karma will catch up to him. You did good to help him out. In the end we all get judged and all have to answer for our doings.

Comment

Helped pay for a guy's mom's funeral....TWICE. He forgot that he'd already used that one. I still chipped in.
        Man that brings back a memory. I had a hand who needed off to fly to Ohio because his mom was dying so I paid for his round trip airfare. He called and told me she had passed and could I loan him $1500 bucks to help with the funeral costs so I wired him the money.

Few days later one of his running buddies came by the office and asked me if I had seen him and I filled him in. He laughed and told me that my "loyal" employee's mother was alive and well and living in Houston but he had a girlfriend who lived in Ohio who he was trying to get to move down here.

When he got back I asked him how the funeral went and he was all sad when he told me that the money I had sent had really helped and that he had bought some flowers for the service with it as well. So I said well were you able to get your girlfriend moved down here with what money was left over? He didn't know what to say so I just told him to pay me back and for him to get back to work.

He finally told me the truth and promised to pay me but he never came back to work after that day.

OP just let Karma catch up with the guy. It finally caught up with the guy I helped.

Comment

let it go and move on.
          you'll be better off for it.

Comment

Walk away more informed

Comment

You don't need that guy anyhow! Forward me a couple months pay and a couple thousand for moving allowance and I will come down there and get to work eventually!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

IMO there are only two real choices:

Beat his azz because he's a POS thief...
                or
                Let it go & know you're the better MAN...

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  do they arrest you for it?.....bunch of thieves on this site then
                  may not be an arrestable offense but it is still stealing.

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    I believe it’s the thing to do within reason. I care about my people. If I can make a difference in their lives, I try to do so. If they can’t pay it back, or won’t...that’s on them and I can sleep at night.

I’m glad you two chimed in.

I do it when I probably shouldn’t, never been bit to bad. I think it has built more good will, than the dollar amount it’s cost me over the years. I insist they not discus agreements with other employees, and we sign an agreement. I probably wouldn’t go after them for it if they didn’t pay up, and we pay kind of like Curt does. I’ve given some their last checks anyway.

My dad told me a long time ago “never loan money you can’t afford not to get back”.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    My rule of thumb is "never loan more than you would give away" You helped a person when asked, you did the right thing. Let it go and move on. Trust in the Lord and try to stay on course.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      If you loaned him $200, and never see him again, it was worth it.
                      This right here.

Good friend of mine has had a rough go for a while, but I bought his four wheeler, got him a job, only for him to quit 2 weeks in and disappear, then bash all his "buddies" on Fakebook cause no one would help him.

Comment

AS a person that owns a shop I had to stop caring its not my issue . Its really not I pay for an employee not there issues . Call that cold hearted well maybe . But over the years the money thing etc just not my issue .

It funny as you see a person that tells you they are broke but you look at how they deal with spending . From fast food eating out every day to a few monsters buy a pack of smokes at a time from gas station etc.

No work no pay , some one is not managing their money well .. thats there issue I refuse to let them put that on me .

Sorry you got burned been there and that is why I have the stand I take currently .

Comment

Let your competition know what he did and maybe word will get out an he won't be able to find work.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                            If you loaned him $200, and never see him again, it was worth it.
                            Wise words.

Comment

Just keep being a good human being and count it as a lesson learned. Some people are POS and thats the way they always will be.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                                AS a person that owns a shop I had to stop caring its not my issue . Its really not I pay for an employee not there issues . Call that cold hearted well maybe . But over the years the money thing etc just not my issue .

It funny as you see a person that tells you they are broke but you look at how they deal with spending . From fast food eating out every day to a few monsters buy a pack of smokes at a time from gas station etc.

No work no pay , some one is not managing their money well .. thats there issue I refuse to let them put that on me .

Sorry you got burned been there and that is why I have the stand I take currently .

This is exactly what i mean about being too stupid to get through their "rough patch"

Comment

Working...
                                X