A hypothetical for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A hypothetical for you

My uncle and I were having a conversation this weekend about finances. The ol what would you do with $X amount of money thing. A scenario discussed got me thinking really hard about what I would do given the situation we were discussing.

Say you had a few hundred thousand dropped in your lap. 200-300k. Would you use that to purchase or provide a big down payment on your dream property? A property that has certain characteristics that set it apart from most others. Or would you put that money towards starting a business? Say a business you felt pretty confident in.

Purely hypothetical for me, but the situation is real as I really want to start a business, but know of a property owner that would be a willing seller in what I consider to be the best possible area.

Buy a nice piece of property with a nice small house and put the rest up

Comment

I would buy rentals or invest in some type of income growth fund.

Mailbox money each month

Comment

If you're happy with what you're already doing for a career then buy the property. If you have an idea for a business that will make you much more money then go that route. In my situation, I'd spend it on property

Comment

Depends on your competency. What do you really know and master, and does that topic have value?

I know a lot about land but not enough to flip, but do know house construction. I’d have to really focus on a small area of a market and master it to really do something with that money.

Or buy fertile land with good hunting, homestead it. Earn enough somehow to pay for taxes and gas

So many public land hunting opportunities and leasing, I’d put it in rentals or residual income. If your competency is as an operator (you make things run really well) you could buy an insurance branch and make it run better.

I’ve asked myself this question a lot, and it comes down to are you worth that kind of money. Faithful in little, faithful in much.

Comment

Invest it and retire that much earlier

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
              Invest it and retire that much earlier
              What he said.

Make your money work for you so you don't have to work for your money. - Yogi Berra

Comment

200-300k?

Pay off the cars and then invest the rest and continue on chugging along. Might be a new gun or two also.

Comment

If my choice is buy property or start a business, I would pick buy a property. However, I personally have other things much higher on my list than those two things that I would pick over those.

Comment

Invest in smaller properties to flip and continue until I could buy the property I wanted

Comment

Get the money on Friday. I would buy myself a nice shotgun then make offers on a few rent houses over the weekend. Then when all that is done I will be at work on Monday because $300k won't last very long.

Comment

Out here in West Texas $300K can go a long ways with myself doing the work. I’d build a place on 10 acres while still living in my current house. Once finished turn around and sell the current house and reinvest it in a couple of cheaper rentals near campus.

Comment

Clean up all debts in my name, clean up all debts in current businesses name and then invest the remainder into continuing to grow the current business. The bigger I can get the business while still working an 8-5 the quicker we can get a massive place and the sooner I get to retire.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            If my choice is buy property or start a business, I would pick buy a property. However, I personally have other things much higher on my list than those two things that I would pick over those.
                            Thanks for following along! Everyone's situation is different; Im just curious about the these two options.

I tend to lean the same direction towards property.

Comment

For me it would be to invest in the company I'm already a partner in. It has a higher ROI than property.

Comment

Working...
                              X