Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

High Fence vs Lowering Property Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Fence vs Lowering Property Value

Just curious. Got bummed out today to hear our neighbor is going to be high fencing 2 sides of his property that border our property. I get it, it’s his place and he can do what he chooses. Just curious if anyone feels there would be a case to be made that by doing so he is potentially damaging our property value? I know I would be less inclined to purchase this property if it was high fenced on 2 sides.

As a side note. What does anyone think the impact will be on the critters around the area? Ours is the only property that will be impacted. My gut feeling tells me that we will stop seeing a lot of game during deer season as they learn there is a giant fence there and they can’t move through openly and just won’t move through our place. Maybe not. Maybe it’s no big deal.

You might be surprised by deer movement. We have a 100 acre farm that is now HF on three sides. I thought it would destroy hunting. Instead, deer don't just travel through (it is a narrow property) but come in and move around the property more. It has actually improved our hunting. I can't really speak to property values.

Comment

High fences are deer highways on our place in Fredericksburg. Our neighbor has two sides hf, at this corner on our place is the best stand. Just setup to make sure nobody mistakenly shoots across the property line if you will have guests. We actually dont have one side window and the back door has a window that will not open. Can only shoot into our place if that makes sense. I have seen big bucks walk up and down the HF during the rut.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

We had one go up on our south fence line. Killed one of our stands completely. We moved the other one about 250 yards and into a corner near a crossing and a few deer get killed there each year.

Comment

Won’t matter to them. Might increase your value, as that’s less fence a new owner would need to build

I had a lease in Brady. A perfect triangle. They fenced 2 sides. Went from 30+ deer per day to 4-6. Went back out there a few years after I got off to turkey guide and never saw a deer

Comment

Only in Texas [emoji849]

What was the neighbor's reasoning?

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
              Only in Texas [emoji849]

What was the neighbor's reasoning?
              He just purchased it. Planning on putting in some genetics and some sheep.

Comment

That fence won’t hurt ya near as bad as those sheep would.

Comment

It could go either way. High fences are a flash point for sure but maybe you will get lucky and all the big bucks that used to visit your neighbors place will be diverted to your place during the rut.

Comment

On my previous place my neighbor high-fenced his place and I thought the world was gonna end. Boy was I wrong.

It actually helped the hunting because it limited where the deer could come from. I saw just as many deer and I could use the high fence to my advantage because it limited them busting me on a certain wind.

Good luck....every place is different and it may take more than a year for them to adjust to it but at least give it a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by 12thman View Post
                      You might be surprised by deer movement. We have a 100 acre farm that is now HF on three sides. I thought it would destroy hunting. Instead, deer don't just travel through (it is a narrow property) but come in and move around the property more. It has actually improved our hunting. I can't really speak to property values.
                      Interesting, I've seen in ruin deer movement on a place I would guess thats more often the case. Also never heard of those taking action against neighor because it thusly damages your property value but bet you'll see a lot more of in the future. Might ask if he would consider leaving low fence between your place and his if you high fence the rest of yours and be part of thier MLD, if he declines you might have a case.

Comment

Your place might sit on the market a little longer but the right buyer will come along. Someone will want to fence it and be glad two sides are already paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          Won’t matter to them. Might increase your value, as that’s less fence a new owner would need to build

I had a lease in Brady. A perfect triangle. They fenced 2 sides. Went from 30+ deer per day to 4-6. Went back out there a few years after I got off to turkey guide and never saw a deer

The neighboring ranch that borders us on our longest two sides leased to a bank who has about 50,000 acres leased in South Texas. The piece they have next to us is around 3k. This year they were talking about high fencing the place they lease and if they did we would probably high fence out the 2 neighbors on our small side. Small side is around 800 yards the other two sides are over a mile with the other side a 4 lane highway across the front that’s also over a mile.

I would be worried that the Nilgai would disappear but I can buy a few Nilgai hunts for what it would cost to fence the other 1.5 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                            Your place might sit on the market a little longer but the right buyer will come along. Someone will want to fence it and be glad two sides are already paid for.
                            This pretty much.

I haven't noticed a high fence causing lower values anywhere. I have clients that won't look at a place that even has one side high fenced, and others who could care less. And others who see it as a plus because they are wanting to high fence their new place anyway. My deer lease is high fenced for over 2 miles along our north border, and it actually HELPS us a lot. In my view that is one less neighbor to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                            X