No announcement yet.

Cooper WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. I am from Missouri and shot many deer on the public lands there. They are for the most part nice, clean, and very well kept/monitored for suspicious action. I really think the wardens here are stretched thin as there is usually only one GW per county from what I heard.

I think next year I will end up leasing a small property in northeast Missouri close to my family. It will be a nice excuse to go see them and I can also just wake up and drive an hour or so and be at my land. I've never leased before but I think it will be fun.

Comment

Yeah, our GW's are definitely stretched thin. I've been out only 3 times to hunt this year but I've taken many trips to either scout by foot or vehicle and I haven't seen one GW. The land up my way isnt terrible it's just the people. Little to no respect for other hunters it seems, but on the plus side there really isnt many of them. I think a lot of the people around here have leases somewhere or they know a guy that knows a guy kinda thing. I've never done a lease before either, but it does seem like it would be a fun thing to do/have. The problem is just finding one that isn't out of my price range lol

Comment

Originally posted by 11B View Post
        I'll be heading out there next weekend since the WMA at Pat Mayse is closed for the next 2 weekends. How are the roads getting into the place. I've attempted to do some scouting there in the past but a lot of the roads were too muddy for my wifes jeep to handle.

I’ll be camping out there next weekend starting Friday. Roads are decent. Shouldn’t t have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 11B View Post
          Good Lord...sounds about right. Sorry about your bad luck man. I enjoy hunting public land, but it's stories like these that make me think more and more about getting a lease.
          I love big public land more than anything. But Texas public land is rarely worth putting your boots on for. Sad really..... and we pay extra to hunt it!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            I love big public land more than anything. But Texas public land is rarely worth putting your boots on for. Sad really..... and we pay extra to hunt it!
            Yeah that extra 48 bucks just doesn’t seem worth it at times. I’m like you, I really do enjoy public land, but there are a lot of people that ruin it for others.

Comment

Originally posted by BPurvisJr View Post
              I’ll be camping out there next weekend starting Friday. Roads are decent. Shouldn’t t have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              That is definitely good news about the roads. Hope you have good luck this year man!

Comment

Do any of you run into other hunters or setups on the way in or out?
                Last edited by Jake83; 11-06-2017, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake83 View Post
                  Do any of you run into other hunter or setup on the way in or out?
                  this will be my 2nd year out, there and i only ran into two guys while doing summer scouting walking back to their trucks. I havent ran into anyone in the spot i've been hunting though.

Comment

Haven't ran into anyone on my way in or out of the woods. Of course, I've got at least a 1/4 mile walk to get to my stand so that helps. There are trucks and vehicles parked where I am but there's lots of areas to hunt from there. Plus, I hunt during the week with a few Saturdays depending on the conditions. There's hardly ever anyone out there during the week.

I found several setups during my scouting before season. When I find that, I back out and go elsewhere.

Comment

I have ran into quite a few people on Caddo Grasslands. I will never gun hunt Texas public again due to the amount of gun hunters on public. I've ran into people on Twok hunting and backed out slowly. They are everywhere but just be respectful. Don't sit right next to them and and try to stay quiet. Nothing worse than getting to your tree before daylight, setting your stand in the tree sticks and all and to have a guy set up his area right next to you an hour later.

Comment

Only seen another hunter in the woods twice. Some squirrel hunters that gave us deer hunters time to hunt and showed up around 10am and once had a guy following me in...LOL...that's in 10+ years hunting there

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

anyone ever hunt below the dam at Cooper?

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            no sir, been looking at it on the map the last few weeks, and it looks pretty darn interesting. I was thinking about checking it out either Saturday or Sunday afternoon while i'm out there. Maybe hang n hunt in the evening out there.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                              I dont hunt cooper but I tend to see quite a few trucks parked behind the dam during hunting season. Sometimes you can see a ground blind or two from the road.

Comment

About to head out for an evening hunt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X