Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so some more details.....I was thankful to receive a small shipment of Thermion XM38's last week and I've been able to use one for a few days and I'm really liking it. It's too soon for a full review but Hans and I will begin discussing them on The Late Night Vision Show this coming week. I managed to get on some hogs the first night out with the scope and I'll post the video below.

I was using the XM38, 320x240 12 micron, 4.2x that retails for $3,299. The hog I shot was 28 yards away and the hog that walked in between me and that hog was under 20 yards away.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLgCqbV85Y"]Pulsar Thermion 1st Thermal Hog Hunt Video - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Man, August is gonna be a longer wait now then from January lol. That was some good footage. Can't wait to get mine.

Comment

Can’t wait till Jason gets my XQ38 in. It was a pleasure discussing and deciding with you!

Comment

How ripe y’all think this hogbait is???[emoji3061][emoji1785][emoji2961][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	768D6769-ED56-4860-B00A-8351B7074A94.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	24581025Click image for larger version

Name:	35280142-21E7-4B52-89A8-9D7E57584ECC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	24581026

Got on the hogs a few times last night. The first time I dropped 2 with my XP50LRF. The first one I spotted about 60 yds out, and dropped him like a sack of potatoes. When I shot another one jumped up and stood there about 120 out. I put a couple in him, and he dropped a hundred yds away.

We went on down the road to a larger field we had access to, and came upon a group of 23. We were the wrong direction for wind, so made a long trek around on FM roads to come up from the backside. We hiked into the field about 300-400 yds walking alongside the hogs, trying to cut them off. Finally got in position at 60 yds away. We sat up and waited a bit, then let em have it. Buddies rifle jammed on the first round, and it was only me shooting til the end. Dropped 7-8 in that field. Would’ve done considerably more damage had the second rifle been up.

About that time we decided to call it, and that field is a few thousand acres. When at the opposite end we ran across a lone boar that thought he wasn’t spotted at roughly 25-30 yds. I put one in his neck, and he took off running. Made it 100 yds or so, and was pretty wobbly. I tried to put another in him but my rifle was jammed. (Guess we need to do some cleaning. First name in that rifle in over 5 years, and it gets used and abused constantly.) By the time I cleared the rifle the hog was out of sight. I’m assuming he dropped. He was standing in some pretty tall wheat. We didnt take the time to go find him. I’m betting my bud will find him this AM if he hasn’t already.

All in all we dropped 10-11 hogs last night. Shouldve done better, but man it sure is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              [ATTACH]959758[/ATTACH][ATTACH]959759[/ATTACH]

Got on the hogs a few times last night. The first time I dropped 2 with my XP50LRF. The first one I spotted about 60 yds out, and dropped him like a sack of potatoes. When I shot another one jumped up and stood there about 120 out. I put a couple in him, and he dropped a hundred yds away.

We went on down the road to a larger field we had access to, and came upon a group of 23. We were the wrong direction for wind, so made a long trek around on FM roads to come up from the backside. We hiked into the field about 300-400 yds walking alongside the hogs, trying to cut them off. Finally got in position at 60 yds away. We sat up and waited a bit, then let em have it. Buddies rifle jammed on the first round, and it was only me shooting til the end. Dropped 7-8 in that field. Would’ve done considerably more damage had the second rifle been up.

About that time we decided to call it, and that field is a few thousand acres. When at the opposite end we ran across a lone boar that thought he wasn’t spotted at roughly 25-30 yds. I put one in his neck, and he took off running. Made it 100 yds or so, and was pretty wobbly. I tried to put another in him but my rifle was jammed. (Guess we need to do some cleaning. First name in that rifle in over 5 years, and it gets used and abused constantly.) By the time I cleared the rifle the hog was out of sight. I’m assuming he dropped. He was standing in some pretty tall wheat. We didnt take the time to go find him. I’m betting my bud will find him this AM if he hasn’t already.

All in all we dropped 10-11 hogs last night. Shouldve done better, but man it sure is fun.

That’s awesome!!
              That’s also more than I’ve shot in 3 years

Comment

Am on vacation and headed home tomorrow---I'll be out and about as soon as I get caught up on chores.

Re-reading thru this thread has been hard a a guy from Texas who is in New York City!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                  That’s awesome!!
                  That’s also more than I’ve shot in 3 years
                  Last time we went out we got got two solo boars. One went approx 210-220, and the other we didn’t worry about going to take a look. The time before that we got 8-9. It’s hard keeping track of them all when they’re dropping in tall wheat. My buddy waits till the next morning, then drags em out of the field with the 4 wheeler when the buzzards are there to point them out. Lol

I’ve got some pretty good footage from this past hunt, but I haven’t ever tried uploading it from my Trail yet. I may give it a try this evening.

Comment

Got on the hogs a few times last night. The first time I dropped 2 with my XP50LRF.
                    Great work. How are you liking the LRF feature?

Comment

Hogs better get to steppin’ Glenda is even packin’ N’ Stackin’ [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                        Great work. How are you liking the LRF feature?
                        I like it a lot. I’ve used the XP50 a bit, but still new to the 50LRF. The first night out with it I made a rookie mistake that would’ve been easily overcome by a quick range verification. A coyote stopped 138 yds out and only poked his head up. He had made us on the stand. I had already ranged everything prior to him coming to the call, and I thought I remembered it as 238 out. I put it right over the top of his head since I was compensating. I’m pretty decent with head shots, and that was a give me.

Friday night was my first time to range while using PIP. Luckily my buddy has his Radius on his rifle. So the range finding box is slightly lower than the reticle in the non PIP mode. The same box pulls up in the large window while in PIP, BUT the range finder is hitting off the reticle in the PIP window. If that makes sense. So I was looking at hogs through the RF box, and hitting distance well above them where the reticle in the PIP window was aiming. Essentially we were stalking up, and I was getting 410 yd readings when we were 195 yds out. I had my buddy verify range, because I knew that wasn’t right. After a few minutes of playing with it I figured out what was going on, then we resumed the stalk.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                          I looked through it at the SHOT Show and I'll tell you what....it was the first and only thermal rifle scope I've ever looked through inside a building and immediately thought it was terrible. I'm sorry if that offends anyone who owns one, I'm honestly not trying to be mean but I've always said that I try not to judge thermal and NV image quality from what I see at the SHOT Show because every thermal looks good inside of a convention center. Well I've found an exception to the rule.lol It was seriously bad. I would highly suggest either not buying anything at all or spending $500 on something like a Sightmark Wraith HD or Photon RT. I can see no reason to spend $1,200+ on one.

Thermal has definitely gotten a whole lot cheaper in the last 3 years but good usable thermal for hunting is still going to cost you about $1,900+ as of right now.

Again, not trying to be rude about it, I just think a $500 NV optic would do you a whole lot better. Hope that helps.

Jason
                          See bold, which unit?

Comment

I like it a lot. I’ve used the XP50 a bit, but still new to the 50LRF. The first night out with it I made a rookie mistake that would’ve been easily overcome by a quick range verification. A coyote stopped 138 yds out and only poked his head up. He had made us on the stand. I had already ranged everything prior to him coming to the call, and I thought I remembered it as 238 out. I put it right over the top of his head since I was compensating. I’m pretty decent with head shots, and that was a give me.

Friday night was my first time to range while using PIP. Luckily my buddy has his Radius on his rifle. So the range finding box is slightly lower than the reticle in the non PIP mode. The same box pulls up in the large window while in PIP, BUT the range finder is hitting off the reticle in the PIP window. If that makes sense. So I was looking at hogs through the RF box, and hitting distance well above them where the reticle in the PIP window was aiming. Essentially we were stalking up, and I was getting 410 yd readings when we were 195 yds out. I had my buddy verify range, because I knew that wasn’t right. After a few minutes of playing with it I figured out what was going on, then we resumed the stalk.
                            Makes total sense. Thanks for responding!

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                            See bold, which unit?
                            Don't want to speak for Jason but I bet he means the Pulsar Core RXQ30V, which just got a nice new display and is punching way above its price point. I loved mine before I gave it to a buddy.

Comment

Thanks. I'll start reading up on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                                Thanks. I'll start reading up on them.
                                Here's Outdoor Legacy's website.
                                He has reviews on lots of scopes.

I copied the link to his page with Thermal scopes.

We take the confusion out of night vision and thermal optics. We've helped thousands of customers find the optic that is right for their specific situation. At Outdoor Legacy we pride ourselves on offering honest, unbiased pre-purchase advice and customer service after the sale. Have questions? Call us (877)350-1818
                                Last edited by Pushbutton2; 06-12-2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X