Score at Sam Houston National Forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Score at Sam Houston National Forest

I took this week off from work to camp and hunt at Sam Houston National Forest. I arrived there around 10 am on Saturday and set up camp. Stayed at Stubblefield recreation area.
    Then had lunch and skipped the afternoon hunt to ride around to see where others were hunting. I kinda go out of my way not to interrupt others in the woods.
    I picked me an area that no one seemed to be interested in and headed back to camp. I stopped to gather some fire wood.
    That evening I cooked dinner, pan fried potatoes with onion, bell pepper and brussel sprouts and pan seared Mahi Mahi. Great meal sitting at the camp fire.
    I met the guy camping next to me, Lonnie. Very nice fellow. Meeting other hunters and hearing their stories has always been one of my favorite things about public land hunts.
    The next morning I woke up at day break, made breakfast and took my time about heading out to the woods. I prefer hunting the middle of the day. This also helps me to avoid disturbing other hunters.
    I walked into the woods at 8:45. I went in about 100 yards and stopped. I was still hunting from the ground. I stood still looking around for about 5 minutes then took 10 steps and stood there for 5 minutes and so on. At 9:15 I saw movement at around 100 yards. It was a buck! I just got a glimpse of horns above the brush but knew right away that it was well beyond 13 inches.
    He was slowly moving from my right to left and after a minute of trying to get a better look through the binoculars I saw the doe he was chasing. I got my rifle up against a tree and located her passing through an opening and put my crosshairs right in that opening and waited, it seemed like it was forever before he walked into the opening but when he did, he stopped for an instant. I put the crosshairs on his left shoulder and squeezed. He disappeared and I immediately started looking left and right to see which way he went. After a minute the Doe came back to the spot I shot at and stood there for a moment then left.
    I walked to the spot the doe had stood and there he was!
    I was 150 yards from the road! After field dressing and filling out my tag I started dragging this big guy. Only went about 50 yards when a fellow drove by and stopped when he saw what I was doing. He came down the hill and helped me drag it the rest of the way and load up in my truck. His name is David, another real nice fellow.
    I made it back to camp by 10 am. Met a few other hunters, took pictures, did congratulatory high 5's and shook hands.
    Lonnie gave me all his ice because he was leaving and I was going to need to drive somewhere to buy some to put the meat on.
    My only regret is that it all happened so fast but I'm sure I'll get over it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Awesome buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats! That's a Heck of a public land deer!

Comment

Nice job! Hard place to get a good one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats! Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll get ya another!

Comment

Great hunt! Congrats!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on a great deer.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

It doesn't get much better than that. Congrats sir!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice buck.

Comment

Awesome public land buck!

Comment

That's great! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a nice one!

Comment

Nice Buck....Congrats!!

Comment