New Mexico - buying land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mexico - buying land

Anyone on the GS schooled on purchasing land in New Mexico?

I finally have my wife ready to buy some property in NM to escape the Texas heat.

On Zillow she's looking at what's for sale in Cloudcroft and Ruidoso

I might be of some assistance (get you to the right people). Whatcha lookin for? Post or pm if you would like.

Comment

I have a small place in cloudcroft. What are you needing to know?

I’m no expert on New Mexico property but can help where I can

Comment

If you want to be off the grid, buy a lot in Timberon. If there's a cell service that works there, I'm not aware of it.

Comment

Thanks

We are in tire kicking mod, and it will be a few more years before we could do it. Still need one kiddo to get out of college.

Just curious about the draw backs of owning property in another state. And how are the property taxes?

Would be looking for land (small in size) outside of town, I'm thinking we would need to find a small cabin already built with basics, such as water, septic, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
            If you want to be off the grid, buy a lot in Timberon. If there's a cell service that works there, I'm not aware of it.

This guy is steering you wrong, its a terrible place to live.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
              This guy is steering you wrong, its a terrible place to live.
              OP, are you looking to make it your permanent residence? If so, don't go to NM. The liberals in that state have totally screwed up all of the laws for residents. If you're just looking for a place to get away, NM is fine. What do you want in terms of amenities? Timberon doesn't have almost any stores. It's extremely small. So like I said, if you want to get away from people, there's not many there. If you're looking to live, I would personally steer you away from NM. If you want things to do, go Ruidoso or Cloudcroft or anywhere other than Timberon. If it were me, I could spend a few months out of the year in Timberon 'cause I don't need anything but my wife and a view to keep me happy. And as for taxes, all I know about is small pieces of raw land. My taxes are dirt cheap on the itty bitty pieces I own in Timberon and Roswell. Other than that, IDK. Good luck with your search.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                Thanks

We are in tire kicking mod, and it will be a few more years before we could do it. Still need one kiddo to get out of college.

Just curious about the draw backs of owning property in another state. And how are the property taxes?

Would be looking for land (small in size) outside of town, I'm thinking we would need to find a small cabin already built with basics, such as water, septic, etc.
                Gotcha. Drawbacks have been minimal in my circumstance. The obvious drawback is not being able to immediately be there when the inevitable happens. Good neighbors and friends in the area are a plus. We adopted an out-of-town church “home” and have all the help we need. The fact that you have some time to do some serious shopping is HUGE! In your listed area of search, there are always low flying pigeons. Realtors are a dime a dozen in that area. Only ones I know and who I’d recommend are residential/2nd home. They would probably know where to swing ya. I’d be happy to share a pm with ya if interested. Best of luck!

Oh…. Property taxes…. Owning property in a state with state sales tax, we found it reasonable.

Comment

OP, are you looking to make it your permanent residence? If so, don't go to NM. The liberals in that state have totally screwed up all of the laws for residents. If you're just looking for a place to get away, NM is fine. What do you want in terms of amenities? Timberon doesn't have almost any stores. It's extremely small. So like I said, if you want to get away from people, there's not many there. If you're looking to live, I would personally steer you away from NM. If you want things to do, go Ruidoso or Cloudcroft or anywhere other than Timberon. If it were me, I could spend a few months out of the year in Timberon 'cause I don't need anything but my wife and a view to keep me happy. And as for taxes, all I know about is small pieces of raw land. My taxes are dirt cheap on the itty bitty pieces I own in Timberon and Roswell. Other than that, IDK. Good luck with your search.
                  Thanks, but heck no. So long as Texas stays Red I'm here.

Just looking for a place to get out of the summer heat when we retire.

Comment

Originally posted by rbsears View Post
                    Gotcha. Drawbacks have been minimal in my circumstance. The obvious drawback is not being able to immediately be there when the inevitable happens. Good neighbors and friends in the area are a plus. We adopted an out-of-town church “home” and have all the help we need. The fact that you have some time to do some serious shopping is HUGE! In your listed area of search, there are always low flying pigeons. Realtors are a dime a dozen in that area. Only ones I know and who I’d recommend are residential/2nd home. They would probably know where to swing ya. I’d be happy to share a pm with ya if interested. Best of luck!

Oh…. Property taxes…. Owning property in a state with state sales tax, we found it reasonable.
                    Thanks. Real good info.

Comment

That is a neat area, hunted there in 2016 for elk. Going back for Mule deer in September. Good luck!

Comment

I will say that I own a property in Wisconsin where I am from. I probably would not buy another place in a different state ever again. Just too far away and I haven't been to visit it in 2.5 years. I have some friends that take care of it, but whether or not they are doing so is always a concern. In fact, this thread just prompted me to reach out to them to see what's going on. Hopefully one day my schedule might allow me to spend more time there. There are some great deer in that area. But recently I have been questioning more why I even have it.

Comment

Most of the state is having a "fire sale".

The place I elk hunt is on fire as I type this.

Comment

I agree. I was driving through Santa Fe for Christmas to Phoenix and it's nothing ce for sight seeing; but every single person was wearing a mask and a few told me to put a mask on my dog. Albuquerque is a dump as well. Cops everywhere and doing check stops for drunk driving, like in the middle of nowhere. Super democratic state.

Also a quick Google search will show you that it's a very poor state and lots of crime.

Comment

Tagged....

Comment

Working...
                              X