No announcement yet.

Modern day deer camps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’d do it, but I’d invest in a canvas pole tent. Stove heater for winter and I’d bring a generator and window unit for summer. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Modern day deer camps

The wife just can’t see how a deer lease is a need, so I bounce from one piece of public land to another all season. The last few years, I have either been sleeping in the truck (tacoma, so cramped quarters) or I have been in my Teepee tent.

I recently got a rooftop tent for the truck and am excited to spend a deer season on an actual mattress as opposed to a backpacking pad and sleeping bag.

Last edited by IkemanTX; 04-15-2022, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
        The wife just can’t see how a deer lease is a need, so I bounce from one piece of public land to another all season. The last few years, I have either been sleeping in the truck (tacoma, so cramped quarters) or I have been in my Teepee tent.

I recently got a rooftop tent for the truck and am excited to spend a deer season on an actual mattress as opposed to a backpacking pad and sleeping bag.

Sounds like your wife needs a talking to.

No more tent camping for me. I hate having to pack and unpack all that crap every weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          Sounds like your wife needs a talking to.

No more tent camping for me. I hate having to pack and unpack all that crap every weekend.

Honestly, I have come to enjoy the public land more than I ever did a lease. There is always new scenery, and I have an excuse to spend hundreds of hours late winter each year searching for sign and figuring them out. The puzzle of beating them at their own game is what I’m after anyways.

This is the new setup, so it will make trips super comfortable comparatively.

Comment

Honestly, I have come to enjoy the public land more than I ever did a lease. There is always new scenery, and I have an excuse to spend hundreds of hours late winter each year searching for sign and figuring them out. The puzzle of beating them at their own game is what I’m after anyways.

That’s awesome! Do you typically hunt mostly Texas public land or bounce around to other states? That scenery with the teepee tent is beautiful. (Not trying to hijack thread, just looks like that truck tent would open up lots of possibilities for out of state hunting)

Comment

I tent camp when I hunt public land. I agree with Ikeman. More fun than a lease.

Comment

I’ll stay in a small 2 person 4 pole tent when I go out west. It not bad as long as I have an air mattress. But I’m just as fine sleeping in the back seat of my truck or on said air mattress in the bed.

We sold our suburban but you could fit a twin size air mattress in the back of that thing too with all the seats folded down that was great in a fall or winter climate. Didn’t recommend it for coast camping though.

If I was really dedicated to public land hunting I would probably get a 4 wheel drive f-250 panel van that would be self contained. If I needed to back pack from there I have a small 1 man tent that allows me to be highly mobile
                Last edited by txtrophy85; 04-15-2022, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShedHunter19 View Post
                  That’s awesome! Do you typically hunt mostly Texas public land or bounce around to other states? That scenery with the teepee tent is beautiful. (Not trying to hijack thread, just looks like that truck tent would open up lots of possibilities for out of state hunting)

80% Oklahoma, 20% Texas.
                  The season structure, age structure, average top end bucks, and public land availability in Oklahoma is good enough that I will drive the extra 1-1.5 hours to hunt there primarily.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                    We half way rough it. 40x30 metal barn, running water, no electricity. Cooking is done on a propane two burner stove, the wood stove we use to keep warm, or the fire ring outside. Everything at night is by lantern. We enjoy the getaway from everyday life.
                    Says the guy who builds bear fence around a tent in the freaking YUKON!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tent for 1 time elk hunt, camper for deer lease.

We use tents in UT for a 8 day elk hunt. But for all WT season we "glamp" (if u call a 1971 remodeled KenKraft "glamping").

Elec but no water. I use the solar bags for showers. And bring the 2.5 gal water jugs for the kitchen sink, along w cases of water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220415-223806_Photos.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	24682017

Name:	Screenshot_20220415-223916_Photos.jpg
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	24682018

Name:	Screenshot_20220415-223906_Photos.jpg
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	24682019

Name:	Screenshot_20220415-223014_Photos.jpg
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	24682020

Comment

Not only No, but H3LL no on tents! Too old for that nowadays!! LOL!!

Comment

Totally understandable. I was just teasing anyway

I do like your new set-up too. Thats actually pretty sweet.

Comment

I grew up tent camping and to this day I still enjoy it…as long as the purpose of the trip is to camp. If the purpose of the trip is for any other reason (i.e. hunting, fishing) I prefer a few creature comforts; at the very least, a hot shower and cool A/C.

Comment

This thread makes me smile, we did our share of tents, mostly chasing elk or antelope, but a few whitetail or Baker Ranch exotics.

Comment

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220415/1e6ef6555218278c2fafd910f3d40786.jpg[/IMG

With views like that who needs a lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X