Which Central TX river kayak fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Central TX river kayak fishing

We Had a trip planned tomorrow for Lower Mt . Fork in Broken Bow, but with both gates generating they have shut down most portions of the river we wanted to yak. Therefore, we are stuck going somewhere else and I’m trying to find the next best thing.

What is the best central Texas river for kayak fishing? Looking for pretty scenery and a good chance set the hook while we float. Small rapids/waterfalls would be fun too. We’re going to need a shuttle service as we only have one vehicle. Would prefer not to do a ton of dragging and walking because of low water. And can’t fish in a crowd of tubers either. With all that considered and anything else I’m not thinking of, which river would you go to? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about devils river around Amistad?

Any of the rivers around Christoval are nice.

Comment

We need to keep it under a 4-5 hour drive so we can make it back for Father’s Day around noon. We live in southeast Texas area so devils river is gonna be too far for us. Other than that I am open to just about anything at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

San Marcos... certain parts have shuttle services also...

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          San Marcos... certain parts have shuttle services also...
          San marcos River has a health warning on it right now ( google it up) , but is definitely a good place
          Guadalupe River above boerne area or below sequin
          Blanco river
          Llano River
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 06-14-2019, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I kayak and camp on the Colorado river east of Austin. Cooks Canoes has a shuttle service available. You can also camp on the Islands if you choose too.

Comment

[QUOTE=K-Train;14197980

What is the best central Texas river for kayak fishing? Looking for pretty scenery and a good chance set the hook while we float. Small rapids/waterfalls would be fun too. We’re going to need a shuttle service as we only have one vehicle.

Would prefer not to do a ton of dragging and walking because of low water. And can’t fish in a crowd of tubers either.

You pretty much eliminated any hill countries with those requirements Have you considered looking east? Village Creek used to be a pretty good float.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                San marcos River has a health warning on it right now ( google it up) , but is definitely a good place
                Blanco river
                Llano River
                Dang didn't know that... thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                  Blanco river
                  Llano River
                  I tried google, but i'm not finding anything... specifically what is wrong with the san marcos river currently? Fish consumption? Bacteria??

Comment

Parasite

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
                    I tried google, but i'm not finding anything... specifically what is wrong with the san marcos river currently? Fish consumption? Bacteria??
                    It has some sort of parasite that can be passed on to mammals if fish is not cooked properly
                    A parasite problem in the San Marcos and Comal rivers is coming to a head and is now threatening local endangered species.
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 06-14-2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Llano

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                        Llano
                        Yup, Llano would meet your requirements

Comment

Going to be kind of hard to find a place that meets all of your specifications. There are many places that are good to kayak and catch fish, see nice scenery and don't have tubers, but I don't know of any of those places having a shuttle. If you want a shuttle, you will be dealing with tubers.
                          My wife and kayak numerous different rivers and creeks, we don't have much problem with tubers where we kayak most of the time. There are two areas we have kayaked that have tubers, but we don't go to those places often. Wherever we do go, we only have one vehicle. So we wind up kayaking up stream then down stream or down stream, then back up. Many of the places we kayak there is very poor to no phone service, so we could not contact anyone to pick us up anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X