Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
    Are teachers not required to student teach anymore? Honest question, IDK. But if so they should have an idea of what is going on.

Also, anyone who takes a job without knowing all the details of pay, benefits, etc., kinda deserves what they get.

If the school system is broke, and i believe it is, why should the tax payer ever consider paying more? Seems foolish, to pay more into a broken system. Fix the brokenness and then ask for more money if it is needed.

That is a reply to 2 people :-)
    No, they do a few hours of "observation"...maybe teachers who have degrees for education do, but the 3rd party certificate holders don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
      No to raising property taxes. Yes to giving the lunch ladies a raise.
      What's the deal with you and lunch ladies? Maybe I don't want to ask

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        What's the deal with you and lunch ladies? Maybe I don't want to ask
        My wife was a lunch lady for over 20 years. Them gals that feed the kids need some love too. (thumb up smilie)

Comment

One of the money pitfalls in Texas is the illegal and low income student rates have skyrocketed. So there is a bigger burden on schools financially. Some teachers work there butts off and some suck. It is the nature of the beast. If teachers were given bonuses on how the kids in their classes progressed then there would be more incentive to teach. It is not an easy fix but a very important one that effects everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So each year you think the schools can hold teachers/kids hostage by saying no way to give teachers a raise without raising property taxes? But school budgets can explode with waste year/year at the same time?

Come on. That's not even close to a fair question.

But screw it. I'll say yes. Raise taxes then. Maybe if taxes get high enough and then we ever hit a real economic slow down the people will wake up and demand the schools stop wasting money. Because no one apparently give a crap how much money is blown until teachers want a raise.
            How can school tax be the largest % and go up every year yet there be no waste?

In a perfect world taxes in general would stay the exact same %. You may pay more in taxes each year as inflation rises and you make more but the % should never rise.

Do you agree with that Randy?
            Did you see my comments about Pflugerville ISD? They have not raised the tax rate in 5 years and actually lowered it this year. Assuming they have ~1200 teachers based on the number of students (increasing substantially every year) they would need roughly $6 million dollars to fund the $5,000 raises, and that $6 million plus increases would be needed every year after that. If they can cut $6 million from their budget...great! But that is not likely feasible without cutting programs.

I cannot speak to every district in Texas, but I can say that the ones I have been part of, there was NOT enough waste to cut and fund $5000 raises. There very well may be large amounts of waste in larger districts, but most people that complain of it have never actually been a part of the budget process and really have no real knowledge of whether those budget contain enough waste to fund raises...just an assumption.

I am not arguing in favor of huge athletic complexes. I also believe they are way overdone.

My point is that in order to fund $5000 raises which would not be a one time expense, but annually, they will HAVE to be paid with property taxes. That is what funds school budgets! It is disingenuous to want teacher raises and not realize that property taxes will HAVE to increase.

EVERYBODY complains of property taxes, and I am certainly empathetic. I am just saying if people think there is waste in their district, do something about it. Get involved. Get elected to the school board. Go to the meetings. Review the budget.

Graysonhogs posted about a man cuddle group. PM him if you want to join.
            I would be honored to be invited. I am a great hugger. It's all in having the discernment to know when to release the hug. Too long, and one can get accused of assault. Too soon, and one is not fulfilled!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              Did you see my comments about Pflugerville ISD? They have not raised the tax rate in 5 years and actually lowered it this year. Assuming they have ~1200 teachers based on the number of students (increasing substantially every year) they would need roughly $6 million dollars to fund the $5,000 raises, and that $6 million plus increases would be needed every year after that. If they can cut $6 million from their budget...great! But that is not likely feasible without cutting programs.

I cannot speak to every district in Texas, but I can say that the ones I have been part of, there was NOT enough waste to cut and fund $5000 raises. There very well may be large amounts of waste in larger districts, but most people that complain of it have never actually been a part of the budget process and really have no real knowledge of whether those budget contain enough waste to fund raises...just an assumption.

I am not arguing in favor of huge athletic complexes. I also believe they are way overdone.

My point is that in order to fund $5000 raises which would not be a one time expense, but annually, they will HAVE to be paid with property taxes. That is what funds school budgets! It is disingenuous to want teacher raises and not realize that property taxes will HAVE to increase.

EVERYBODY complains of property taxes, and I am certainly empathetic. I am just saying if people think there is waste in their district, do something about it. Get involved. Get elected to the school board. Go to the meetings. Review the budget.

I would be honored to be invited. I am a great hugger. It's all in having the discernment to know when to release the hug. Too long, and one can get accused of assault. Too soon, and one is not fulfilled!

It's not a hug group. It's grown men that cuddle all together for 20-40 minutes.

Comment

Scrap the whole system and move to vouchers for charter schools. Let me decide how my money is spent.

Comment

Teacher pay raises

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                  Scrap the whole system and move to vouchers for charter schools. Let me decide how my money is spent.

And where are all these charter schools? That would be quite the undertaking to “scrap the whole system”
                  Last edited by kyle1974; 04-08-2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                    And where are all these charter schools? That would be quite the undertaking to “scrap the whole system”

It’s an opportunity and in america there are lots of people that see opportunity to fill a gap. Wouldn’t happen over night but it wouldn’t take long if people could choose how and where to spend their money on education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

So, how do you do that, and is it practical? Do you realize that a lot of charter schools are for kids that can't function in a structured environment... basically for the laggards?

Comment

Teacher pay raises

Wife’s monthly stub bumped $2300 per year. It’s something.

Last edited by Chad C; 06-12-2019, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                          Wife’s monthly stub bumped $2300. It’s something.

An additional $2300?

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                            An additional $2300?

For the year, not monthly. It’s minuscule.

Comment

Dang. $191 per month.

Comment

less than insurance increase more than likely

Comment

Working...
                                X