No announcement yet.

Hill Country Deer vs. South Texas Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the HC there isn't as good of browse available for the capacity of the land. goats and sheep prefer to eat the same things as WT as do a lot of exotics. In some places the axis are beginning to outnumber them. if you look around when driving through the HC and the oaks look like parkland, its due to overgrazing.

Comment

200 lb deer in Llano? [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        Yes absolutely with the same genetics.

There are 200” deer killed every year in the hill country.
        Maybe a couple high fence ones with genetics from other areas in the breeding programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          Maybe a couple high fence ones with genetics from other areas in the breeding programs.

Mason county. Menard county.

And you’d be awfully surprised what comes out of Llano lol

Comment

Mason county. Menard county.

And you’d be awfully surprised what comes out of Llano lol
            A bunch 70 lb does. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
              We are in llano, we feed a ton of protein and stay on top of our deer numbers

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Where at in Llano I was on a lease there for 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                Where at in Llano I was on a lease there for 5 years.

The area that produces 200" deer with bodies of Minnesota deer. Lol.

Comment

The area that produces 200" deer with bodies of Minnesota deer. Lol.

Just producing land whales over there

Comment

Yes absolutely with the same genetics.

There are 200” deer killed every year in the hill country.
                    There are multiple 200” deer killed all over south Texas. I’m not saying you can’t pop one every now and then in the hill country, but it ain’t nowhere close to south Texas. Show proof of one low fence 200” low fence buck.

Comment

It's not that the HC can't produce huge bucks comparable to south Texas deer, but it's the fact that you have to artificially supply the supplements on a continuous basis to KEEP producing quality deer in the HC as compared to south Texas.
                      Stop feeding the supplements on those HC deer and the body size and antlers will also decline back to what the land can naturally produce.
                      Take the same size ranch in south Texas that is natural without any supplements, and a HC ranch the same size, the deer on the south Texas ranch will be bigger period.
                      Growing large deer in the HC, you better be in it for the long haul and have deep pockets.

Personal experience here:
                      I hunted a ranch where the deer were typical HC deer, and after a few years a supplemental feeding program was started and the deer would rival anything that south Texas could produce.
                      New management took over and they reverted back to natural land management, no supplemental feeding and cedar removal and the deer reverted back to typical hill country size deer of a little better than average size and antlers, but still nothing like a south Texas deer.
                      All this was observed personally over 17 years of hunting the ranch.
                      I'm now hunting south Texas low fence with no supplemental feeding and yes, the deer are bigger in body, and larger racks than a natural hill country deer.
                      Location, location, location!
                      Last edited by Jimbo47; 12-26-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

This is just incorrect.

Really your sure of yourself? This deer is over 200+ pounds. I have been managing this place for only 4 years so yea it happens. We have shot a few over 200+ so yes age, water and food = big deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post

Really your sure of yourself? This deer is over 200+ pounds. I have been managing this place for only 4 years so yea it happens. We have shot a few over 200+ so yes age, water and food = big deer!

Great deer no doubt, but what did he score 160ish? There are guys on my lease that would pass that deer. Those deer are a dime a dozen on a good south Texas place, that’s the difference between hill country and south Texas. Not trying to diminish what you’ve done or anything, just pointing it out. The other thing, is all of our deer are 200+ pounds, not just a few.
                          Last edited by panhandlehunter; 12-26-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            Great deer no doubt, but what did he score 160ish? There are guys on my lease that would pass that deer. Those deer are a dime a dozen on a good south Texas place, that’s the difference between hill country and south Texas. Not trying to diminish what you’ve done or anything, just pointing it out.
                            So your guys pass on 7.5 and 8.5 year old deer?

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post

That is a toad. Keep doing what your doing it’s working.

Comment

Well post them big boys up.

Comment

Working...
                                X