School me on the 6mm Creedmoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
    You obviously have very little understanding of how Ballistic Coefficients work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok. So show me how-in the 50-400 yd range that 99% of hogs and deer are killed at- how a 6mm 100 gr bullet @ 3,000 fps will out perform a 6.5mm 100 gr bullet @ 3,200 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      We aren’t talking about just shooting deer. Compare the BC on what you are saying. The 6.5 creed is too slow for what it’s pushing. The 6 creed does great. Keep in mind there’s several on this thread that have shot out past a mile. They might know a thing or two. It doesn’t take much to kill a deer at a couple hundred yards.
      If we want to compare hunting guns then let’s just slap a 300 win mag launching a 180 accubond and end that discussion lol. It goes on and on. The 6 creed does what it was intended to do very well. It wasn’t marketed as a hunting gun. But I’ve shot plenty with one and it does great.
      I’m sorry. Since there are a whole bunch of posts on this thread about using the 6mm Creed for hunting i assumed some did. Since shooting deer/pigs doesn’t normally happen at 1,500 yards how well a bullet performs at that range is moot.
      Not knocking the 6mm Creed at all just pointing out the fact that with the same weight bullet, in normal hunting range the 6.5 Creed out performs it.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
        I’ve stacked more bodies in a night with a 6 Creed than you will all season. Try again old bald guy.
        Maybe or maybe not. Been a bunch of deer and hogs killed around here in the last 10 years or so with 6.5 mm 100 gr Partitions.
        How many of those “bodies” that you’ve stacked were at 1,000-1,500 yards?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          The 6.5 creed is too slow for what it’s pushing.
          That is exactly what I’ve said from the day the 6.5 Creed came out. That case don’t have enough azz to push those 145+ gr bullets fast enough to shoot flat in normal hunting range. It will push a 100 gr just fine though. For hunters it matters not if the heavier bullets hold up better at 1,000 yards cause shooting deer at that range is a good way to feed the buzzards.

Comment

243 win simply because of ammo avability.... if ya roll your own then???

Comment

Ok then...

How about barrel length?

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                243 win simply because of ammo avability.... if ya roll your own then???
                I like 24” in those calibers.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                  Ok. So show me how-in the 50-400 yd range that 99% of hogs and deer are killed at- how a 6mm 100 gr bullet @ 3,000 fps will out perform a 6.5mm 100 gr bullet @ 3,200 fps.

Here you go. 100 grain ELD-M in the 6.5 going 3200 (using your number, which is probably a little generous), 108 grain ELD going 3050 (my load) in the 6. By 250 yards, the 8 grain heavier bullet in the 6 has already passed the 6.5 in velocity. Notice the wind correction as well.

6.5 Creed

6mm Creed

Comment

Here you go. 100 grain ELD-M in the 6.5 going 3200 (using your number, which is probably a little generous), 108 grain ELD going 3050 (my load) in the 6. By 250 yards, the 8 grain heavier bullet in the 6 has already passed the 6.5 in velocity. Notice the wind correction as well.
                    That’s impressive but:
                    You bumped the 6mm up 50fps
                    You used 2 different bullet types with about a .200 G1 difference advantage to the 6mm.
                    If you use a proven hunting bullet of the same type at max velocity shown in the load data from Nosler in both calibers the 6.5 has a slight advantage.
                    Not knocking the 6mm Creed since it’s a good cartridge and has some nice bullets out there now to choose from. My point was that despite people knocking the 6.5 Creed for hunting it’s actually very good when loaded with bullets that little case can push.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Old Bald Guy; 11-22-2022, 10:12 AM.

Comment

School me on the 6mm Creedmoor

That’s impressive but:
                      You bumped the 6mm up 50fps
                      You used 2 different bullet types with about a .200 G1 difference advantage to the 6mm.
                      If you use a proven hunting bullet of the same type at max velocity shown in the load data from Nosler in both calibers the 6.5 has a slight advantage.
                      Not knocking the 6mm Creed since it’s a good cartridge and has some nice bullets out there now to choose from. My point was that despite people knocking the 6.5 Creed for hunting it’s actually very good when loaded with bullets that little case can push.

They’re both ELD-M. I accidentally left the M off the 6mm. Same bullet, different caliber.

Yes, I bumped up the 6mm. Like I said, pretty easy to push it to 3050. 3200 is pretty dang hot for a 6.5. Hornady has 3150 listed as the max for 6.5 Creed 100 grain. 3050 for 6 Creed slinging 105-108s.

Last edited by Raider4044; 11-22-2022, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Maybe or maybe not. Been a bunch of deer and hogs killed around here in the last 10 years or so with 6.5 mm 100 gr Partitions.
                        How many of those “bodies” that you’ve stacked were at 1,000-1,500 yards?
                        Stay on the same page. You asked a question and I answered. Now your moving the goalpost because someone refuted your idiotic claims. Nowhere have I mentioned killing at distance. I do however use the same rifle for shooting long range that I use for killing. However more than a large handful of those kills have been at 400+. Which is a chip shot with the rifle caliber and projectile. You’re the one who got upset because I pointed out a valid reason for the 6 over the 6.5.

Comment

They’re both ELD-M. I accidentally left the M off the 6mm. Same bullet, different caliber.

Yes, I bumped up the 6mm. Like I said, pretty easy to push it to 3050. 3200 is pretty dang hot for a 6.5. Hornady has 3150 listed as the max for 6.5 Creed 100 grain. 3050 for 6 Creed slinging 105-108s.

Factory 108s out of my 6 are running 3060, and that’s all I kill with besides 80 ELDM in the 22 CM.

Comment

I’ve stacked more bodies in a night with a 6 Creed than you will all season. Try again old bald guy.
                            Stay on the same page. You asked a question and I answered. Now your moving the goalpost because someone refuted your idiotic claims. Nowhere have I mentioned killing at distance. I do however use the same rifle for shooting long range that I use for killing. However more than a large handful of those kills have been at 400+. Which is a chip shot with the rifle caliber and projectile. You’re the one who got upset because I pointed out a valid reason for the 6 over the 6.5.
                            I don't see anything in your post that points out a valid reason for the 6 over the 6.5. All I see is you bragging about something that is highly unlikely to be true.

Comment

I don't see anything in your post that points out a valid reason for the 6 over the 6.5. All I see is you bragging about something that is highly unlikely to be true.
                              You insinuated that I don’t hunt just because I shoot long range. You started the purse swinging because your old fragile ego got a boo boo. In no point of my first comment did I attack you, but your geriatric self had to attack me because I made a valid point. The valid point being that a 100 gr 6.5 falls on its *** at distance, when the 6 doesn’t.

As far as unlikely claims my best night with the 6 was 21 hogs. That didn’t include my buddies that he got that night. Sure 21 hogs isn’t much, but I doubt you’re of any acct either way

Comment

Not only will I confirm his claims, I’ll put a $500 wager on it.

I’ve shot both. As has both other guys debating it with you. The 6 creed is a superior round. Good luck finding factory ammo in the 6.5 to contend with the 6. Hand loading and it’s even further apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X