Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Groundbreaking at Coal Creek Ranch! It could be yours!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
    Fixing to head to Coal Creek Ranch! I have several projects on the list for today. Going to try and get one food plot planted before the rain this weekend.
    Timing should be spot on for the plot.

Following along.

Rwc

Comment

It was 2 minutes and 27 seconds of pure greatness. A 33 year old Kevin Costner wondering through a shoulder high field of summer corn. A voice from an unrecognizable source kept whispering to him, "If you build it, he will come." It was just as the sun was hitting the horizon, a breeze in the air, "If you build it, he will come."
      I had left the work detail over an hour ago, looking for spots to fly the Phantom 4 Pro drone for aerial video when I became lost in thought of how the walk had went thus far. I had been walking the west fence line, falling even deeper in love with a place that I knew would be short lived for me. I popped out into a sage grass field with scattered cedars that makes up the Southwest corner of Coal Creek Ranch. The deer trails that littered the fence row were numerous and I remember laughing because I had started to count them but lost track. I continued East down the South fence row as it dropped down into the bottom that snaked its way through this property and then onto the neighbor's. Coal Creek was running but I easily hopped across it using various rocks that were protruding above its current. It was then that I began to notice the abundance of deer tracks all along the creek. 40 yards away, I saw the remnants of a mangled cedar tree the size of my calf and wondered how big the buck was that made the rub there. I came up out of the bottom and found myself perched upon a rock the size of my truck, and it was there that the breeze hit my face, and it was there, that I fully realized the magic of this place. "If ya'll build it, they will come." This summed up the feeling that I had as I stood on this high point just outside of Stuart Oklahoma, above Coal Creek. I could see it all from here, all 164 acres. I could see the smoke rising high into the sky from the brush being burned, I could see the Cat 5 dozer climbing up the fence row in the NorthEast 40, and I could hear the sound of the Massey Ferguson tractor somewhere up by the corral in the middle of the place. It was high on this perch that the breeze picked up suddenly, just as the sun was hitting the horizon to my left. Dispersed clouds shattered the rays into strands of fire, showering the countryside in tones of orange and red. It was a supernatural feeling standing there. I thought back on how just 30 minutes prior, I watched a small band of turkeys working their way through the open woods just west of this property; the deadhead 8 point that I was clutching in my left hand; the tracks, trails, and the beds that I had discovered in the waist high sage grass. "If you build it, they will come." That saying never meant more than it did right in that moment. Seeing the work that was being done, knowing the work that laid ahead, this endeavor that Jay is on in creating a turn-key hunting property, was surreal. I wondered if a dad and his child or children would stand in that same spot in the near future, if they would feel the supernatural breeze kiss their cheeks, just before heading back to the camp on the far north hill. I wondered what deer would be seen, turkeys that would fall, and miles of hiking and trail riding that would happen, and memories made on this slice of heaven. I still had some walking left to do to get back and Taco Bob's in McAlester was calling my name, so off I went. I am glad that I get to be a part of the preparation of this property, turning it into a turn-key, where a hunter will have a legitimate chance to kill a 150-160" or better deer every year. Not many 164 acre places can boast that, and at $1,750/acre! Somebody is going to walk right in to great hunting, both deer and turkey, a brand new 30X50 shop with a lean-to on one side, rural water and electricity at the shop, county road frontage, established food plots and roads throughout. Look around, do your research, but this package is being offered at an insane price. I'll go ahead say it. I'm jealous that I can't buy it, but happy for those that can. And buying from Jay, you will have a connection for life.

Comment

I thought I would share a few pics while I stopped for a quick bite to eat. I got the first feeder up where we plan to plant a 4 acre food plot. Feeder is slinging corn and the camera is waiting for the first pic! Next picture is the shop site. I wanted to show what it looks like before I got started clearing it. I'll show some more pics of it this evening when I get done pushing the timber.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
          Timing should be spot on for the plot.

Following along.

Rwc
          We are thinking the same thing! I will have pics of the food plot this afternoon when I get done it. The Stuart feed store is getting the peas in today so I should have them in the ground tomorrow.

Comment

After along day at Coal Creek Ranch, I got a lot of work done! The food plot is ready to plant in the morning. The shop site is almost complete. I got all the timber cleared and piled. Should have it all burnt in the morning. Tomorrow's project list consist of planting the food plot, hauling the last two loads of scrap metal off and clearing an easement for the electricity into the shop site. Here is a few pics of the food plot and shop site. Earlier today I posted a picture of the shop site, it was total timber checkout what it looks like now!
            Attached Files

Comment

One more pic of the shop site. It's a big area, I couldn't get all the area in one picture.
              Attached Files

Comment

That pad site is going to fit the new shop like a glove

Comment

Back at Coal Creek Ranch today! Trying to get a few projects wrapped up before this weekends rain. First thing on the list is getting a right away cleared so the power company can get electricity to the shop. Everything is cleared just need to trim a few trees. Here are a few before and after pictures.
                  Attached Files

Comment

You sure are not messing around, whipping and a spurring I tell you....
                    Looking great, you get those peas in the ground?

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                      You sure are not messing around, whipping and a spurring I tell you....
                      Looking great, you get those peas in the ground?

Rwc
                      Ive got one gear and that's getting it done! I'm going to have to slow down on getting all of these projects done....Darton will start adding more The peas are all in the ground waiting for a rain tomorrow.

Comment

Beautiful place!

Comment

The good Lord above saw you Gents working your tails off and brought all day rains yesterday just to force a break! [emoji6]

Things are really shaping up. Thanks for taking us along.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                            The good Lord above saw you Gents working your tails off and brought all day rains yesterday just to force a break! [emoji6]

Things are really shaping up. Thanks for taking us along.
                            Hey Booner Sooner! I was glad to see the rain as well! Hoping the peas will be up pretty soon. Looks like we got quite of bit of rain up there yesterday. Projects will have to wait a couple of days now.

Comment

Rain is an understatement Booner! I will be headed that way in the morning with wingnut to see if we can’t get the last of the scrap removed and look into anything else we can get accomplished after the monsoon!

Comment

Went out to Coal Creek today to keep making forward progress! With help from wingnut and Split Brow, we were able to install H-braces on the gate access to the 'main part" of the property from the camp. This addition will allow you to go from camp to stand very quickly!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Darton; 04-20-2019, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X