Clear All

Velvet Pictures_5-20-2016

[ATTACH]857692[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]857693[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]857694[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]857695[/ATTACH]

Comment

6-25-2017 Update

We went out to fill the protein feeders as well as put out 1,000lbs of cottonseed. Previously, we set the protein feeders to feed from 6:30am to 7am and 7pm to 7:30pm, which has lowered the consumption to around 1,300lbs in 45 days. Before, they were draining 1,000lbs in 3 to 4 weeks. We have cottonseed and corn out there for the deer to eat at anytime. I changed the times on the protein feeders so they now open at 6am and close at 6:30am and open at 8:15pm and close at 8:45pm.

It's still very dry out there. Fortunately, we did get a little over 3/4in on Saturday, which puts us 10.80in. for the year. The last time we got over an inch of rain was in February. Everything since February has mostly been around 1/2in or less, which won't even touch the ground in areas with a lot of cedars.

I set up all of our trail cameras this weekend so I'm hoping to have some good pictures to post in a couple of weeks.

I gathered soil samples from three of our fall food plot locations. I'm going to send them to Texas A&M and have them tell me what type of fertilizer we need for each field.

Here are some pictures from this weekend:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3175 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	24501040
      Runoff from the rain.

Name:	DSCN3240 (Medium).jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	24501041
      Growth after cedar mulching lanes 4 months ago.

Name:	DSCN3265 (Medium).jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	24501042
      1,300lb Timed Krivoman feeder.

Name:	DSCN3285 (Medium).jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	24501043
      Possible elbon rye fall food plot location?

Name:	IMG_4288 (Medium).jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	24501044
      My 4-yr old son had a lot of fun fishing this weekend

Name:	IMG_4341 (Medium).jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	24501045
      Bow Blind we've been working on. It's going to be a big one. I finished framing the windows - 17" tall by 10" wide. Need to frame a door then start attaching the SmartSide panels. This thing should be really nice and roomy once we are finished!

Name:	IMG_4227 (Medium).jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	24501046

Name:	DSCN3233 (Medium).jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	24501048

Name:	DSCN3245 (Medium).jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	24501049

Name:	IMG_4316 (Medium).jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	24501050
      I'm going to put this in the back of the polaris ranger and start spraying any and all yucca's and mesquites that are growing in our fall food plots. I'm also going to find an attachment that will help spray our fields around the end of August so our disk can do a little better job cutting the areas with thick grass.

Comment

We got 1.2in last night, which gives us around 2" for the past 3 days. Just to the north and east of us received over 3in yesterday.

Comment

How far you from the Historical Marker in Calf Creek?

Comment

Probably about 1 mile.

Comment

Looking good. I'm about to start building a blind just like that one.

Comment

Originally posted by tx10pt View Post
                How far you from the Historical Marker in Calf Creek?

Are you near the historical marker?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike M View Post
                  Looking good. I'm about to start building a blind just like that one.
                  Thanks! I'll post some more progress pictures as we go along. I was hoping to have more done this last weekend but there's always other things to work on out there. By no means is it in any way anything like some of the blinds that some guys on TBH have made, but it should be roomy and last a long time with the SmartSide panels.

Comment

Man I like the look of the river in your area. We hut a small property about 11 miles out of Menard. Love to play in the river.... My boys are making some good memories fishing an playing in that good clean water!

what is Calf Creek like? Flow all year or just seasonal?

Love what your doing. I am in for the trail camera pix on the quail station. We have almost no quail on our place. Lots of wild cats running around and I figure there taking there toll on the quail population.

Comment

Calf creek is a seasonal creek, but it's had water for pretty much the past couple of years or so, at least the part that I see when going to our property.

I'll set up another trail camera on the quail feeding station and see what we get. We have to install some 4"x2" fencing to help keep out the raccoons. We'll keep the small holes at the bottom (4"x4").

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                        Are you near the historical marker?
                        a friend of mine has a place at the historical marker. My place is across 190 on CR 112

Comment

Looking great

Comment

When they hydromulched does it take the stumps down below the surface? I'm thinking of hydro mulching some areas on my land but may want to plow some of it later and don't want stumps in it tearing up equipment

Comment

When they hydromulched, they only mulched the cedars down to the top of the soil. We have blueberry cedars so they will die and the roots will eventually rot. We did this to just open up more native habitat. If I was going to disk for food plots, I would probably get a grubber or bulldozer to pull the roots up.

Comment

7/3/2017 Update

My brother was out there this weekend doing some work. They are absolutely hammering the cottonseed. Here is what's left after 1 weeks use:

Name:	IMG_4698.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	24501668

Name:	IMG_4699.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	24501669

Name:	IMG_4700.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	24501670

We are pumping the water out of our small pond. Once it's completely dry, we are going to have a guy come out in August and dig it a lot deeper and bigger:

Name:	IMG_4692.jpg
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	24501671

He was able to add the SmartSide panels to one side and the front:

Name:	IMG_4689.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	24501672

Name:	IMG_4691.jpg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	24501673

He sprayed all of the mesquites and yucca's with a remedy/diesel mixture in the food plot fields. They already started turning yellow:

Name:	IMG_4693.jpg
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	24501674

Comment

Working...
                                X