2018 F150 3.3 vs ram 1500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrigging View Post
    Broken manifold bolt on my hemi making the tick sound.
    How did you come to this conclusion?

I have read about this being an issue.

I am not even sure it is the "tick".

I had a ticking noise show up on highway this weekend. a real quick ticking. Last a few seconds, maybe 10 or so. Stoped then came back a few times over an hours time. Stoped and has yet to come back. i have had some minor ticking while warming up. I am so confused if this is something that needs to be addressed. So much to weed through on the inner web.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post

I had a ticking noise show up on highway this weekend. a real quick ticking. Last a few seconds, maybe 10 or so. Stoped then came back a few times over an hours time. Stoped and has yet to come back. i have had some minor ticking while warming up. I am so confused if this is something that needs to be addressed. So much to weed through on the inner web.
      My truck would only tick for a few minutes when the engine is cold,
      once it warmed up it would quit.
      Happened at 80k miles so it was fixed under warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by chrigging View Post
        Broken manifold bolt on my hemi making the tick sound.
        ^^^this

Comment

If a true hemi tick, it should stop when engine is warm and the manifold and bolts expand with heat. If ticking and making sounds on hwy, probably the cam.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteZ28Bow View Post
            If a true hemi tick, it should stop when engine is warm and the manifold and bolts expand with heat. If ticking and making sounds on hwy, probably the cam.
            Agreed, I do not think it is the broken manifold bolts. If cam issue would it not be persistent and not come and go?

I was so ready to just trade the truck in last night. 78,000 miles currently.

Comment

There was a thread on here a couple weeks ago. Complete failure if i remember.

Comment

I have a 2016 ram 1500 with 78000 miles and am starting to get the "Hemi Tick".

Was think of trading it in for an 2018 F150 with the 3.3 v6.

Give me your thoughts...

Pm sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The broken manifold bolts will tick loud when first cranked but will die down once the engine is warm, has others have stated.

If you heard the tick while driving, then you have an interesting road ahead of you.

Depending on how early you caught it, you can reduce damage by adding a qt of Lucas (subbing it for a qt of regular oil).

The MDS system is the culprit. Bad springs and lifters get stuck on the upstroke. Your cams grinds against it throwing metal flakes and chunks in your oil.

I drove mine for two weeks before I acted on it. By then, I had metal all in my oil filter and oil pan.

If you get it fixed, they’ll have to replace the heads, oil pump, cams, and lifters.

If you go that route, I’ll just do the Hellcat cam and lifters upgrade with a Diablo tuner to disable the MDS. That will run around $5300.

One dealer quoted me $4600. No way I was dumping that much money for OEM parts that will fail again.

I opted to buy a new remanufactured engine with a 7 year/100,000 warranty for $3800. Cost $2000 for the shop to install. Came with the installation kit, too. My buddy he gave me a Diablo tuner so I can change modes. No sense in disabling the MDS since this engine has the MDS cams and lifters. However, this engine has upgraded, better than OME parts.

So I practically have a “new” truck with 1200 miles now on this engine.

I was gonna put down $20k on a new 70k truck, but my truck’s been paid off for 3 years. The thought of an $800 payment soured my stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Both of my last 2 Rams had broken manifold bolts easy fix. Hopefully they'll fix the issue on the 2019's

Comment

I’ve spent a little time with a base V6 in an f150 that was owned by my buddy and anything past concrete driving it wasn’t impressive. My buddy had one that he tried to keep up with V8s off road in 4x4 and it just couldn’t. Towing? Nah.

IMO that engine is for someone who wants to drive a truck for looks and nothing else. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but if you intend to use your truck as a truck I’d step up to at least a base v8.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                      X