X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hard to beat cornmeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
      Funny how our grandparents fried fish with no mustard.
      Does our mustard offend you? Done it with or without. The most important thing is the type of fish being fried. Some people will clean a mud cat and wonder why it taste like butt.

Comment

In Houston there is a boat restaurant called “captain toms” I think. I would give anything to know their exact batter recipe.

Comment

All this dang mustard.

I have been eating fried catfish and crappie for 48 years and never have I or my dad or grandpa put mustard on it....or a brisket/ribs.

Never had an issue with the cornmeal or seasonings not sticking.

I was like you.

Then G. J. got me to using a mustard base for my fish and I won’t go back.

With mustard base I do have to reduce the amount of salt in the cornmeal though.

Comment

What kind of fish are y'all cooking that needs mustard to cover it up. Gar, Buffalo or Drum. I guess I'm old fashioned. Louisiana blue bag or yellow bag or cornmeal and salt and pepper.

Comment

All this dang mustard.

I have been eating fried catfish and crappie for 48 years and never have I or my dad or grandpa put mustard on it....or a brisket/ribs.

Never had an issue with the cornmeal or seasonings not sticking.
              Glad I ain’t the only one. I just roll the fish around in some of the prepackaged mix and it comes out with plenty of breading.

Comment

Most of the time I use straight cornmeal, but if I’m feeling like pushing the envelope I will pulverize a bag of Cap’n Crunch cereal and mix it half-and-half with cornmeal.

Comment

Why are y’all peoples adding SALT to that Louisiana fish fry batter mix ?
                  According to the label it’s a whooping 25% salt already with 570mg of salt per serving
                  Heck you could tan a deer hide with that stuff!!!!
                  Add mustard to that and wow “ anyone know of any other less salty mixture as I do love some good fish “

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                    According to the label it’s a whooping 25% salt already with 570mg of salt per serving
                    Add mustard to that and wow “ anyone know of any other less salty mixture as I do love some good fish “

It's too salty for me. I will mix the Louisiana seasoned fish fry and corn meal 50/50.

Comment

Half cracker meal half Cajun fish fry. Little baking power and seasoning. Good fish doesn't need much

Comment

Old school here. Salt,pepper and cornmeal only. Wife and I love the taste of fish.

Comment

Louisiana seasoned fish fry with little added corn meal then some cayenne salted after pulled out of the fryer.

Keep it simple

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
                            What kind of fish are y'all cooking that needs mustard to cover it up. Gar, Buffalo or Drum. I guess I'm old fashioned. Louisiana blue bag or yellow bag or cornmeal and salt and pepper.

Mustard doesn’t cover any flavor nor add any flavor, it is just a binder for your seasoning and cornmeal that makes your fish more crispy.

We pretty much only fry trout and catfish, snapper and redfish get grilled. Fry some flounder but most get stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post

If I use a prepackaged seasoning I mix it almost 50/50 with straight cornmeal when using mustard base

Comment

I’m getting hungry!

Comment

Working...
                                X