No announcement yet.

feeding protein on a small place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the place is near nacogdoches , I would plant about 12 acres of wheat ,oats , and rye. Then top it with clover. Put about 50,000lb of chicken litter on it and disc it In every late spring. The nutritional value of those plots will be through the roof as well as the browse all around it. Its amazing how much that improved our antlers and body size it two years. That would be cheaper than protein and have more impact on holding deer. If you can afford to feed as well that's just bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      If the place is near nacogdoches , I would plant about 12 acres of wheat ,oats , and rye. Then top it with clover. Put about 50,000lb of chicken litter on it and disc it In every late spring. The nutritional value of those plots will be through the roof as well as the browse all around it. Its amazing how much that improved our antlers and body size it two years. That would be cheaper than protein and have more impact on holding deer. If you can afford to feed as well that's just bonus.
      Yes sir its in Nacogdoches just south of town on 1275. I have heard of folks using chicken litter as fertilizer. But I am not sure how to get it out there. The food plots that I have are hard to get access to. I can get a tractor to them but how is the chicken litter delivered?

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
        Yes sir its in Nacogdoches just south of town on 1275. I have heard of folks using chicken litter as fertilizer. But I am not sure how to get it out there. The food plots that I have are hard to get access to. I can get a tractor to them but how is the chicken litter delivered?
        Check with your feed store. There is crazy amount available around Nac. Most have spreader trucks that will put it out for you. You might consider larger plots available to trucks. You can also rent a lime spreader . Just don't tell them what its for and wash it out before returning.

This should be considerably cheaper than feeding protein and much more effective for holding deer. That said..do both if you can.

Comment

Check with your feed store. There is crazy amount available around Nac. Most have spreader trucks that will put it out for you. You might consider larger plots available to trucks. You can also rent a lime spreader . Just don't tell them what its for and wash it out before returning.

This should be considerably cheaper than feeding protein and much more effective for holding deer. That said..do both if you can.
          Are you recommending fresh litter or some that has been piled for 6 months +? I have heard various responses to this.

Comment

Piled works quickly.

Comment

saw someone else ask but I'm curious as well. I'm hunting on a new place this next year and recently gain access to start feeding. Was considering protein but I've heard you don't hunt the protein, it's a safe zone. Is this information correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                Never use more than 5 tons/acre, and better to use 3tn/ac yearly.

Comment

All it takes is that one stupid protein hog that hits it every day... just fill it and don't interrupt the area
                  We had one on my old place that was like this and he blew up that year

Comment

Piled works quickly.
                    Thanks. Based on the science I had read about, this was my plan.

I am over in Grapeland, and I haven't found anybody that will come this far west with it. If yall have any recommendations, please share.

Comment

We have a smaller place with three sides that let deer get older. Once fence line they hunt to eat. We have been doing protein for years and our Boone and Crockett scores and body weights have increased. We also do fall food plots. The spring food plots were hit or miss with rain amounts, so we stopped doing them. You lose some bucks to neighbors, but we also see traveling bucks we have never seen during the rut. We feed our protein in areas we do not hunt and have water 24/7 very close to the protein feeders.
                      Last edited by HYDRO_69; 01-22-2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

We have crazy amounts of success stories on small acreage.
                        Free choice protein and cottonseed 24-7-365 with as much food plot as you can afford to plant is only way to go IMO. If you feed them they will come.
                        Proper timber management is crucial in them piney woods as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                          We have crazy amounts of success stories on small acreage.
                          Free choice protein and cottonseed 24-7-365 with as much food plot as you can afford to plant is only way to go IMO. If you feed them they will come.
                          Proper timber management is crucial in them piney woods as well.
                          All of this plus chicken manure.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            Never use more than 5 tons/acre, and better to use 3tn/ac yearly.
                            Yep I think 3 tons is about right. I have a guy that piles mine a year ahead. Not sure you could get most to do that but he has been hauling for us a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                              Thanks. Based on the science I had read about, this was my plan.

I am over in Grapeland, and I haven't found anybody that will come this far west with it. If yall have any recommendations, please share.
                              Foster farms out Palestine has houses all around grapeland

Comment

Working...
                              X