Ideas for “rights of passage” for my son & gift suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for “rights of passage” for my son & gift suggestions

My son turns 13 at the end of the month and he is an exceptional kid and well on his way to being a better man than I am.

We are taking a weekend trip with him and 4-6 of his friends and a dad or so. Trip will be to our ranch in Coleman county. Boys will have the run of the place for fishing, shooting etc. but I’m looking for an idea or 2 to celebrate his passage into early manhood.

Some sort of a challenge and a campfire ceremony of some sort. any ideas or suggestions?

Also he’s requested a .22 pistol for his present. Suggestions on makes/models? I would think .22 semis are a bit finicky

One of the best things you can do for a young man that is entering into manhood is exactly what you're doing, acknowledge him for the exceptional young man he has been and encourage him to continue to grow and mature and become an exceptional adult. A nice commemoration of a handmade knife or a special rifle shotgun pistol whatever fits your requirements is a great memory for him. Something that he can cherish and look at and remember the time that you guys spent together as he was growing and becoming a man.

I think the main thing is that you and a couple of other men that are important in his life speak that to him and acknowledge that to him in front of his friends and that will be the thing that he can remember the most as he begins his true journey into manhood.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just be sure he and his friends know how to handle the pistol.

Comment

This if you want a semi IMHO

Comment

My Dad gave me a Remington pump .22 rifle when I turned 13. I remember that day well. I'm 60 now & still shoot it. For a .22 pistol, I highly recommend a Browning Bucksmark. It is an auto but no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
            I shot my first mark IV last weekend. I've shot tons of earlier iterations. It is sweet.

I would throw in another Ruger but a stainless single 6.

Every Texan boy needs a 6 shooter. Might be too small of a sample group but in my circle of folks stainless ones shot more accurately than blued.

Comment

The Ruger and the Browning semi are both good guns I would give the nod to the Ruger though. The Ruger single six would be my choice for a young man and a pistol. I am not a big fan of younger shooters and semi automatic’s to easy to make a mistake.

Comment

I would find a clean MkII...I think it's the best of the series.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                  Just be sure he and his friends know how to handle the pistol.
                  Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                  The Ruger and the Browning semi are both good guns I would give the nod to the Ruger though. The Ruger single six would be my choice for a young man and a pistol. I am not a big fan of younger shooters and semi automatic’s to easy to make a mistake.
                  There will be a serious conversation had with all the boys about how everything on our property will *****, sting or bite you, as well as a gun safety talk. And the boys won’t be shooting without adult supervision.

Not sure I can sell mama on a $500-700 pistol.

Comment

A clean MKII target will go for $400 & hold it's value...a new pistol will lose $100 taking it home.

Comment

Get him a wheel gun. Reliable. Go bang everytime. And look better than a semi auto.

Comment

The Crucible maybe?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tell all the boys to bring a knife. You bring a ferro rod. Let them figure out how to build a fire with no matches/lighter.

Shelter building exercise (maybe a contest out of sight of each other and then compare).

Bring some snare wire and teach them that.

Or maybe gift each one of them a small pouch with a ferro rod, paracord, compass, etc.

Afterwards, declare them all junior bushcrafters/woodsmen/survivalists whatever. It might spark a life long hobby. At the least they'll learn something that may be useful in the future.
                          Last edited by Chew; 06-09-2021, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                            X2! Single to start out with and then Semi after a few years

Comment

Browning buckmark. It is probably the gun I have shot the most not counting shotguns

Comment

Working...
                              X