No announcement yet.

Turkey Dekes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to try the Dakotas. The amazon deal seems pretty good.

Comment

Dave Smith Decoys are the way to go

Comment

I've had great luck with the Avian-X decoys and I think they look awesome! It made a huge difference when I switched from the other decoys I had previously (I can't remember the brand). I have a video review of the decoys and also some hunts up on my YT channel:

Review:

2017 Hunt:

2018 Hunt:

2019 Hunt..... coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I have used cheap dekes and I have used Dakotas and DSDs.....the birds reaction and how long they will stick around with them is no comparison. After the last few seasons hunting over good dekes, I will never go back to foam or crappy decoys if I want them to come in close. I'd rather carry a single quality 3/4 strut jake or a hen over my shoulder in their carrying case than fold up a crappy deke in my vest. To me they are another valuable tool in what we do and are worth a one time purchase that will last for years!.

If I am going to shoot them at 75 yards with a rifle or shotgun then hell it doesn't matter. If I want them in close then I think it can make a difference in success.

I would list them in order of quality and looks........... and would hunt over any of them. The Dakotas are a great mid price decoy on Amazon. I really like the jake's position like the DSDs.

DSDs
          Dakotas
          AvianX

Never had a Tom do this before for this length of time... until I was walking back after just killing one with my bow over them.

Texas Tom beats up Dakota jake decoy - YouTube
          Ready to pull the trigger on the Dakota or the Avian X. Which would you think is better for mobile hunting? Can one man carry the Dakota combo over his back easily?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
            Ready to pull the trigger on the Dakota or the Avian X. Which would you think is better for mobile hunting? Can one man carry the Dakota combo over his back easily?

If you are extremely mobile, I'm gonna think the AvianX would seem like they better choice since they are deflatable. But I'm not sure how much room the pair takes up once deflated because I have no hunting experience with them. My comment above was about their looks in person on the rack.

I don't have to be super mobile because I've been on my place for 11 years and know where the turkeys are going to be in general so I carry multiple dekes....and now that I am back to archery hunting them I carry multiple in with a popup and set up on them.

But..... but on the flipside I do know several guys that are mobile (Passthrough above is one) that prefer to carry the single jake, DSD or Dakota, and act like they have a hen in the area just with their calls. I'll see if I can find my jake decoy in the bag pic to show you how much room it takes up. You could easily sling them both over your back because they are light, but there would definitely be some mass back there.....mass meaning size not necessarily weight. Certainly there are some other guys that can answer that part better for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00Deke3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	24573095

Name:	00Deke.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	24573096

Back of ClayW's Tundra for a little better size comparison

Name:	000Deke.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	24573097
            Last edited by Smart; 03-12-2019, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I currently use a Avian X Jake and a DSD hen. The first time out I had a gobbler beat up on my Avian X Jake and put a hole in it. I was able to patch it up and it still works, but i'm saving some $$ for another DSD hen and DSD Jake.

Comment

Heck most of the time I tote around 2-3 decoys. Depending if I want the laying down hen with the jake. And they are DSD’s....so I know you can tote some of the other ones as well. Just depends on how bad you want to I will never,ever be caught without my jake decoy. It kills early or late season!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  If you are extremely mobile, I'm gonna think the AvianX would seem like they better choice since they are deflatable. But I'm not sure how much room the pair takes up once deflated because I have no hunting experience with them. My comment above was about their looks in person on the rack.

I don't have to be super mobile because I've been on my place for 11 years and know where the turkeys are going to be in general so I carry multiple dekes....and now that I am back to archery hunting them I carry multiple in with a popup and set up on them.

But..... but on the flipside I do know several guys that are mobile (Passthrough above is one) that prefer to carry the single jake, DSD or Dakota, and act like they have a hen in the area just with their calls. I'll see if I can find my jake decoy in the bag pic to show you how much room it takes up. You could easily sling them both over your back because they are light, but there would definitely be some mass back there.....mass meaning size not necessarily weight. Certainly there are some other guys that can answer that part better for you.

[ATTACH]949724[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]949725[/ATTACH]

Back of ClayW's Tundra for a little better size comparison
                  [ATTACH]949726[/ATTACH]
                  Thanks for sharing! I think I am going to get that combo deal from Dakota that you shared.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                    Heck most of the time I tote around 2-3 decoys. Depending if I want the laying down hen with the jake. And they are DSD’s....so I know you can tote some of the other ones as well. Just depends on how bad you want to I will never,ever be caught without my jake decoy. It kills early or late season!
                    Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                    Thanks for sharing! I think I am going to get that combo deal from Dakota that you shared.

This guy above does more of your run and gun style of hunting so I'd listen to him.

Comment

I prefer setting up in such a way that decoys aren’t necessary and make the Tom come searching, but when hunting more open areas, they sometimes become necessary. If budget minded, get a flextone hen and the Dakota jake.

Comment

DSD is the best out there. One time expense. My “Jezebel” got her head broken off when a bobcat attacked her. I called them and they sent me another one. “Jezzy2” is still making the boys fall in love. I’ve had her over 10 years. Dave’s goose decoys are second to none as well.

Comment

I like the Dakota decoys. You can get the jake direct from Dakota for $79 and hens for $69 with free shipping. I like that the metal stakes store inside the decoys.

Comment

Originally posted by WTN View Post
                            I like the Dakota decoys. You can get the jake direct from Dakota for $79 and hens for $69 with free shipping. I like that the metal stakes store inside the decoys.

http://www.dakotadecoy.com/store_turkey.htm

**** that's a solid price.

Comment

I'm about to spend 160$ on decoys to hunt birds I don't like to hunt...I hope you all are happy with yourselves..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                I'm about to spend 160$ on decoys to hunt birds I don't like to hunt...I hope you all are happy with yourselves..

Comment

Working...
                                X