Need some statistics/math help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    If a group is 88% successful in completing all assigned tasks with 24 employees, is there a way to guesstimate the success rate percentage if you add 6 additional employees (assuming all other factors such as production/skill/etc are equal)? Thanks.
    Assuming the workload has a direct proportion of finishing tasks, it should go from 88% to 91%.

Look at it from the perspective of the unfinished work. If the group is 88% successful, that means they are 12% unsuccessful.

Adding six more workers is a 25% increase over the 24 original. Your unfinished tasks should improve by 25%. She 25% more workers should clear 25% of the unfinished work.

12 x 25% = 3

88% + 3% = 91%

Instead of 117 finished tasks, you would finish 121.

I am assuming that you might talking about clearing cases. The unfinished tasks are the issue because putting together a criminal case it’s not like picking up a certain number of items and you know where they are located. In those cases you are looking for an unknown. The unknown is the problem in clearing a task, not merely how many tasks a person can complete.

If 24 investigators can complete 117 out of 133 tasks/cases, that comes out to about five cases per investigator. If it was that simplistic, six more investigators 10 five cases would be 30 more cases saw. That means your unit could clear up to 147 cases a year. The problem is not how many cases can be cleared by each investigator but how much time till they have to find the unknown that they are digging for. So I think the key is a 12% unsolved rather than the cases per investigator.

Now if you are not talking about murder investigations…… I have no clue as to the answer.

Now if you were building boats and each person could complete five boats a year, it should be obvious that six more people could complete 30 more boats. That is not realistic in criminal investigations When you were building something, you know where the pieces are located. You just simply walk over and get them and put them together. That is where you could increase to 110% or 147 new boats as some of the other mathematical equations indicate.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
      Pretty sure the answer you're looking for is brown.
      I was going say khaki. Pretty close….

Comment

42. The answer is always 42.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          Assuming the workload has a direct proportion of finishing tasks, it should go from 88% to 91%.

Look at it from the perspective of the unfinished work. If the group is 88% successful, that means they are 12% unsuccessful.

Adding six more workers is a 25% increase over the 24 original. Your unfinished tasks should improve by 25%. She 25% more workers should clear 25% of the unfinished work.

12 x 25% = 3

88% + 3% = 91%

Instead of 117 finished tasks, you would finish 121.

I am assuming that you might talking about clearing cases. The unfinished tasks are the issue because putting together a criminal case it’s not like picking up a certain number of items and you know where they are located. In those cases you are looking for an unknown. The unknown is the problem in clearing a task, not merely how many tasks a person can complete.

If 24 investigators can complete 117 out of 133 tasks/cases, that comes out to about five cases per investigator. If it was that simplistic, six more investigators 10 five cases would be 30 more cases saw. That means your unit could clear up to 147 cases a year. The problem is not how many cases can be cleared by each investigator but how much time till they have to find the unknown that they are digging for. So I think the key is a 12% unsolved rather than the cases per investigator.

Now if you are not talking about murder investigations…… I have no clue as to the answer.

Now if you were building boats and each person could complete five boats a year, it should be obvious that six more people could complete 30 more boats. That is not realistic in criminal investigations When you were building something, you know where the pieces are located. You just simply walk over and get them and put them together. That is where you could increase to 110% or 147 new boats as some of the other mathematical equations indicate.

Yes!

Comment

Let me try again.

There were 133 projects last year with 24 employees working on them. The group was able to achieve an 88% completion rate.

How can I compute the completion rate if there had been 30 employees (all other factors being equal) with the same 133 projects.
            I took a class on this. There is a formula for it. I’ll see if I can find it.

Comment

Never have so many,
              Worked so hard,
              To produce a variety of disparate answers,
              That were agreed upon by so few.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                Make that **** up, and say it with 110% confidence when you make your pitch.

“Now just imagine how great you guys will look when you get credit for giving me these 6 extra guys and **whoever** is on TV talking about our department and our *slam your hand down on the conference table* 98.65% clearance rate!!!”

Walk out. Slam door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                And slam an entire cup of hot coffee. Don’t let them see the pain though.

Comment

The answer is 3.5, 120”...regardless of anything else, it’s always 3.5, 120”

Comment

Sorry, but most of you guys are using "linear" type of math; simple division, algebra, etc.

Statistics is a whole nother world. It's not a simple divide output by workers.

Wished I could help but I'm not a Statistician.

Do you divide the 24 into teams?
                    Do they interact between teams?
                    Is it 1 person 1 case?
                    Occasional crossover?

Rhetorical questions. I'm not qualified to do anything with that info. It's just food for thought.

Comment

Do like my employer does - shout “Just get it done! We’ve been committed to achieve X amount!”

Anything less is not acceptable. We roll our eyes when we hear it monthly.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                        Do like my employer does - shout “Just get it done! We’ve been committed to achieve X amount!”

Anything less is not acceptable. We roll our eyes when we hear it monthly.
                        Or reduce the workforce and do more with less?

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                          Or reduce the workforce and do more with less?
                          This is where we've been for a decade or so.

Comment

Our guy just walked into the meeting and asked for 4 people and they said....done.

Not sure where youre going to get them from since everyone else is short but you can have 4.

But while we're at it. From 10/1-10/27

One group has 5 employees.............12 tasks

Another has 7.................................13 tasks

and the last 8.................................7 tasks

Group 2 is reported to be the busiest and needs people so getting one guy from group 3. Now I failed the same college math class 3 times and quit the whole thing but that dont add up for me

Comment

This is where we've been for a decade or so.
                              I know oh so well. Been in that fray a couple of times.

That's why it's in purple....

Comment

I think the whole bunch of you should watch Back To School
                                You might learn something

Comment

Working...
                                X