No announcement yet.

2019 Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both boys went 2-0 today, playing some pretty good baseball, back at it again at 8am with the 11s...

Comment

Great job! Finish em tomorrow!
      8am seeds are a mixed blessing... cooler temps..but still early..and makes for a long Sunday if all goes well

Comment

Yes sir, the 11s are in a weird tournament though, 4 game guarantee, so we had 4 set pool games and then the 2 and 3 seed play at 530 and then championship at 715 against the 1 seed that got a bye.

The 8s ended up with the 2 seed and an 1130 game across town from the 11s.

Comment

Quick question. My son is 10 and needs a new 1st base glove. Big difference between a2000 and youth heart of the hide? Smaller opening for hand needed on hoh or no?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tall0 View Post
            Quick question. My son is 10 and needs a new 1st base glove. Big difference between a2000 and youth heart of the hide? Smaller opening for hand needed on hoh or no?

Thanks

No experience with 1st base mitts here, sorry

Comment

Ditto.. two of our kids use the a2000 but i have no idea why

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                Ditto.. two of our kids use the a2000 but i have no idea why
                My son gonna be paying for part of his and they do last a long time. One full year with his glove now and it’s pretty floppy. I’m just worried about his hand size with the adult gloves. The Rawlings hoh actually has a youth glove that they say is good for 10-14 year olds. I just want a glove that will last a while for him.

Or I’m just a crazy dad even thinking bout him having a 250 dollar glove haha.

Comment

Gotcha!
                  I cane to the conclusion when my son decided he wanted to catch that we would buy good gloves..but theyd be treated and stored like the gold they cost.
                  Bought a 'tank' which is basicaly a zippered box for storing his glove in...and taught him that when its not on his hand its in the box..
                  Fits in his catchers equipment bag.

Comment

My son-in-law sent me this. He may have got it off facebook. Just a reminder.

So you think throwing 120 pitches in a game as a 12 year old is ok? Of course it doesn't hurt the kid that day. But it might when he's 17. After I stopped being Matts coach at age 14, I allowed coaches to over use him. I take the blame. I knew his pitch counts like my own SSN. And because I didn't want to embarrass him or have his coaches think I'm a crazy dad, I let him throw until the coach decided to pull him. And often times that was after the game ended. Here is what can happen. "Tommy John" surgery at age 17. If your kid is a pitcher, never let him throw more than the recommended pitch count. I'd say 80 until 14. Then 90 until 16.
                    Don't throw all summer, then Fall Ball, then winter workouts, then HS ball, then start all over again. Take 4 month breaks.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Doghouse I learned from a Dad in your same situation. My heart goes out to the young man. I express early I expect my kid to be 75-85 a week. I didn’t even let them put him on the bump until he was in HS. I’d like to keep him under 85 through this Summer and High School senior year.

Comment

Those of you worried about arm injuries, a cheap investment in my opinion is a new development called Motus. It tracks every throw you make and lets you know how many you should be throwing and when you should be throwing. It is very cheap in my opinion, $150, for the technology it brings to the table. The biggest factor is use common sense though. I am a HS coach and I still do not teach a kid a breaking ball until he is shaving or allow my freshman go over 75 pitches in a week. I don’t believe breaking balls are a big cause of arm injuries, but if one is not taught correctly it an let to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you talking about that sleeve?
                          I saw that ..its pretty cool.. but youth pitchers cant wear sleeves....or they arent supposed to anyway.
                          Still a really cool product... i dont know about its accuracy or anything but great idea.

Comment

Brock and the 11s got 3 good games in yesterday, went 1 and 2 with both losses by 1 run. He swung the bat ok and played good at catcher but got LIT UP on the mound lol. It was a little humbling because he was throwing hard and throwing strikes, the other team was just tee'ing off, granted they are a great team and ended up going 5-0 on the weekend, it was still tough to watch. When we got in the truck, I said, "well..." And he said, "dad coach tells us to throw strikes and let the defense work, WELL THAT DONT WORK!"

I may have mentioned this before, but looking at the big picture, I can really see the benefit of having a "pitcher" on the coaching staff at the games that may be able to see some of the minor adjustments that may need to be made in game.

Logan and the 8s played awesome, going 6-0 on the weekend playing up in 9u and brought home the gold. Our pitcher threw a no hitter in the championship against a good bandits team. They have 1 CP more tournament before we go to gulf shores and say goodbye to CP.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome!!
                              Heard that same testimony about coaches telling the kids to throw strikes.. then the defense takes the night off...

Comment

Alternative

My son was 12 when i bought his current glove. I ended up going with a 44 Pro Glove. It was fully customizable and less expensive than the A2K/2000 or the HOHs. Been very pleased with the glove, it is 2 1/2 years old and has held up very well. Quite pleased with the purchase. He loves the glove, and still cares for it like it is new. Goes in his glove bag, sets it correctly down on the ground, doesnt let others try it on...

I did tell him once he got to HS that I would be more willing to entertain spending the A2K/2000 / HOH type money.

25 likes, 1 comments - Trenton Jones (@jones_baseball) on Instagram

Last edited by seeing reds; 05-28-2019, 07:55 AM. Reason: link

Comment

Working...
                                X