Squirrel Hunting 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doug View Post
    Were you just squirrel hunting or bowhunting? I'm anxious to get out there and chase them but at the same time dont want to mess anybodys deer hunt up. Is that generally a problem out there? Are small game hunters "frowned" upon? I guess i shouldnt worry about it to much but i've always had a deer lease and pretty specific spots to hunt. I recently retired so now have the time to spend enjoying the woods. Killing some bushytails will just be a bonus! Thanks for any thoughts
    They have ruined many of my deer and hogs hunts out there back when I used to hunt it...but I understand that is part of hunting in the National Forest. I am the minority and I'm sure most others you come across will let you know there thoughts verbally if you go stomping through their hunt looking for tree rats. Its sucks unfortunately.

Comment

Great thread idea. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
        Were you just squirrel hunting or bowhunting? I'm anxious to get out there and chase them but at the same time dont want to mess anybodys deer hunt up. Is that generally a problem out there? Are small game hunters "frowned" upon? I guess i shouldnt worry about it to much but i've always had a deer lease and pretty specific spots to hunt. I recently retired so now have the time to spend enjoying the woods. Killing some bushytails will just be a bonus! Thanks for any thoughts
        All hunters pay the same APH price to hunt there. The forest belongs to everyone, including non hunters. I once had a group of scouts pass by at 80yds during gun season. If you stay away from the main roads(like 1375) ,aren't afraid to outwalk the parking area hunters, and avoid the first two weeks of deer season you can usually have the place somewhat to yourself. A lot of guys bike in to get away from the crowds...it's a big place.

I had good success sticking to certain areas, and never needed to walk all around. Sit. Stay quiet. shoot the squirrel. repeat. I usually got enough in a 75yd radius. There was a lot, and clearly they were underhunted.
        Obvioulsy, be respectful of others. If you see someone else hunting/in a tree Blaze Orange is required even for bowhunting, back away and go somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
          All hunters pay the same APH price to hunt there. The forest belongs to everyone, including non hunters. I once had a group of scouts pass by at 80yds during gun season. If you stay away from the main roads(like 1375) ,aren't afraid to outwalk the parking area hunters, and avoid the first two weeks of deer season you can usually have the place somewhat to yourself. A lot of guys bike in to get away from the crowds...it's a big place.

I had good success sticking to certain areas, and never needed to walk all around. Sit. Stay quiet. shoot the squirrel. repeat. I usually got enough in a 75yd radius. There was a lot, and clearly they were underhunted.
          Obvioulsy, be respectful of others. If you see someone else hunting/in a tree Blaze Orange is required even for bowhunting, back away and go somewhere else.
          I will probably stick to weekdays and see what happens. I definately dont mind getting off the beaten path. A bike might be a good idea! A little exercise and a hunt wouldnt be a bad day at all. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Italianxbowuser View Post

Mind if I ask where you are doing this in the SHNF? I have not had such luck in my dozen or so times out there. I will trade you information on where they aren't!

Comment

I had a couple of squirrel dogs (border collies) when I was a kid. Trained them by playing tug-of-war with a squirrel skin, and dragging it around for them to find. They always got excited to see me wearing camo or holding a gun. Was nothing to bag a limit of squirrels in a short time and more fun than sitting and waiting. Good times!!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                Mind if I ask where you are doing this in the SHNF? I have not had such luck in my dozen or so times out there. I will trade you information on where they aren't!
                Took me about 3 years to figure out the forest and kill deer consistently. I found the squirrel spots during that process. There is a SHNF thread every year on here in public hunting section which was also very helpful

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got some at my lease and have wanted to shoot a few but don't know anything about cooking them.

Comment

I grew up squirrel hunting. I was raised by folks from the “Great Depression” they said if it weren’t for squirrel, rabbit and greens they would have staved. Show me a good squirrel hunter... I’ll show you a great hunter and woodsman.

Comment

Believe I'll be doing some this year as well. The rancher cleared a chunk of creek bottom leaving the oaks and pecans and allowing me to move through what was impassable.

Comment

Last year. First hunt with the new Reign 6.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X