No announcement yet.

Private Pilots License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started flying in 1978 and have never looked back. Its addictive. You'll love it.

Comment

Airline Transport Pilot
      Type Ratings: B737, BE400, CE500, DA10, DA20, LR-Jet, MU300
      Single Engine Seaplane & Certified Flight Instructor
      Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic with Inspection Authorization

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
        Looks like a guy I know, is his first name Rob ?
        Yes, Rob lives in South Lake and drives Ferrari race cars

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          Yes, Rob lives in South Lake and drives Ferrari race cars
          He has lots of hobbies. Did he quit fishing?

Comment

My dad used to fly a lot. I remember him flying the family to Possum Kingdom lake to seee my grandparents. I’m not sure what kind of plane he had then, but I do remember his 172 and flying to New Mexico to elk hunt in his Cessna 210. He moved to Kerr county and got in on. Mooney for awhile before losing his license due to medical reasons.

I’m not much on flying, even commercial. The super cub flight in the NWT in 1995 was a little scary too. But, I survived.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
              He has lots of hobbies. Did he quit fishing?
              I have no clue ... Rob posted for about 6 months in 2012 ?? and never posted again

Comment

I finished my private pilot certificate in 2011. I started with a flight school but ended up buying my own plane (65 piper Cherokee) to train in once my instructor quit the flight school. Once you find a good instructor that you like, stick with them. Now I own a 64 Cessna 210. If you ever make it down to Port Lavaca, give me a ring and I’ll take you up for a quick flight. My good friend took me flying once and I was hooked. Pm me for my number. Good luck.

Comment

I'm right up the road from you in edna. I've always been interested in flying and getting my pilots license. If you ever feel like taking someone up I might take you up on it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Got my private ticket in 2008. As others have said, get an instructor you like and feel comfortable with (and needs hours). Do it!

Comment

I got my private license from a local instructor. I liked it because I could go when I wanted... which was quite often.

It seemed to me that I had an easier time and less instruction needed because I flew several days a week. I probably averaged 4-6 lessons a week. Some people that used the same instructor maybe did 3-4 days a month. It seemed like the extra time between lessons didn’t help them. I believe that it helped me to not have to catch back up after laying off several days. I did my solo about two and a half weeks after I started. After that I did my cross countries and night flights within about three more werks and I was ready for my check ride.

I know that everyone has a different financial situation and other obligations. If at all possible, my main recommendation would be to have the money needed ready to go and the time to get on it. I was working straight night shift back then and could literally go 7 days a week. I think it requires less training if a person doesn’t drag it out over a long time and that saves money in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        We have a lot in common. I've done several 'halves' plus a bunch of shorter distance tri's and I've been passionate about aviation for a long time. The link to all the private pilot threads above is good and educational reading. Take a look. I'll repeat what I say every time I see one of these threads and that is do not stop till you get an instrument rating!!! Beyond that I can elaborate ad nauseam.

I fly into KCXO all the time. Maybe our paths will cross.
                        That's awesome!! I love the halves(Waco will be my 5th), I've done sprints, oly's, halves and a couple Full's and just feel its time to take a break and do something different for a while. I guess my passion for flying/airplanes came from my dad, he built the radio's for **** Rutan and Jeana Yeager's Voyager and was the one who took me up for the first time in a Champ. I've wanted to get my license ever since but with kids, bills, life etc just haven't brought it into reality yet.

Would love to sit and visit sometime when you come through, stay safe, Ken

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                          Looks like a guy I know, is his first name Rob ?
                          According to the registration his name is not Rob.

Edit - looks like Blake knows him. Registration may be in another name!
                          Last edited by -HIC-; 09-14-2018, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Definitely continue on to get your instrument rating once you get your PP license. For those of you looking at planes, the 150/172's will be limited on your range/alternate airport flying IFR because they do not hold enough fuel. Just something to keep in mind. For example most 172's hold about 38 usable compared to 55ish in the 182.
                            Last edited by -HIC-; 09-14-2018, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                              Definitely continue on to get your instrument rating once you get your PP license. For those of you looking at planes, the 150/172's will be limited on your range/alternate airport flying IFR because they do not hold enough fuel. Just something to keep in mind. For example most 172's hold about 38 usable compared to 55ish in the 182.
                              That's good info for sure, do you think the cost of a 150 vs 182 would be worth it though to get my IFR or would I be better off just renting a larger plane to get my rating?

Comment

Originally posted by Luckyhunter View Post
                                That's good info for sure, do you think the cost of a 150 vs 182 would be worth it though to get my IFR or would I be better off just renting a larger plane to get my rating?
                                If we are strictly talking training the 172 is probably the most popular. The 150 has about half the range of the 172 and the 182 will add almost 300 miles depending on conditions, load, etc.

I think the decision would need to be made based on intended use after training. Just throwing out three models and something to consider when flying VFR.

I guess it all comes down to funds, like most things in life! That 400 pictured above will get you close to 270 mph over ground with around 1200 mile range on 100 gallons!

Comment

Working...
                                X