Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roguecraft101 View Post
    So sorry to hear this. =( Glad you and your wife pulled through.
    I'm also sorry to hear this and glad you and your wife get the chance to try again.

Comment

holy cow!!! i think that i am very blessed now after reading all of this!!!

Comment

When I was 15 me and some buddies were bow fishing on the Canadian river, The gates were open and the water was really rolling. we were walking the bank watchin for gar. I stopped to take a shot and the bank gave way, and in I went. I tried to grab everything I could. But the roots and limbs just pulled outa the bank. Friends looked like they were in a track meet running along the bank. Finally one got ahead of me, he hung onto a tree, leaned out over the water and stretched out holding his bow out. I managed to grab it and they hauled me out.
        Second time was during my Jr. yr. of HS. I was on the HS rodeo team, calf roped, bull dogged, and rode bare back bronc. I was up at a rodeo in Antlers Ok. Loaded up on bare back bronc, gave em a nod, chute gate swung open. Horse blew up, reared up coming outa the chute, flipped over backwards pinning me against the back of the chute, then wallerd around on me like I was a futon. My dad was in the stands, but when they got the horse off me he was nealing down by me and telling me I was gonna be alright, still dont know how he got there so quick. We found out later that the stock contractor hot shotted the horse when the gate opened.

Comment

When i was 36 i had a stroke and flat lined in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
            Was working for UPS at the hub by Harry Hines in Dallas.
            I broke the unload record that week so the supervisor bought us a case of beer on that Friday (memorial day weekend). I had a car and had 5 that rode with me to work so we used to go to a park across the street on Friday to have a beer and wait for others to get off work so I could take em home. A guy on my crew was sitting on the hood of his car when some dudes threw a beer bottle that missed him and broke his windshield. There was 4 of them and when he went over he asked for help and the idiot I was went with him. Well, this 4 turned into probably 14 (mexican motorcycle gang)as there were a bunch hiding out.
            There were probably 30 or more UPS guys there, some were real tough from the way they talked in the break room. So as 3 (another guy helped that I did not know at that time) of us were trying to fight our way from 14 or so kicking our arse the break room tough guys were running away. Anyway, I took a 7 inch blade in the side while fighting 3 of them, punctured my colon.
            I was supposed to go to Arkansas that night and after all was said and done still planned on going even though blood was pumping out of that wound like it was being pushed by a water pump, though it didnt hurt.
            Police and paramedics came and made me go with them, dang good thing cause it wasnt long until my gut swelled up like crazy and all that poison got into my system and I was in real pain. Would have died for sure if I would not have went. One of the other 3 that helped got popped in the back with the same knife twice and we went to Dedman (great name for a hospital) in the same ambulance. All the medical staff was freakin out over him and not me, maybe cause he was whining quite a bit and though I was in pain didnt think it was a life or death situation. They asked us to pee in a cup and when the other dude couldnt they gave him a catheter, after hearing him hollering I made sure to pee in that cup which made the blood really flow from my side. My sweats were soaked in blood. Doc finally came in and looked at him (getting all the attention) and me and told all he was worried about me. I did not freak out till he grabbed one of those 6 inch q-tips and stuck it all the way inside my wound. At that point the blood loss was getting to me and was hard to stay awake but very peaceful. Doc told me to call my folks to say tell them what was going on and say goodbye just in case. My dad answered the phone and when I told him what happened he said 'g-dangit Richard, I told you would never live to see 21..talk to your mother'. LOL Next thing I knew I woke up with in unbelievable pain and my folks were there by my side. Had a morphine machine which was nice unless you push the button too many times which caused a backoff algorithm to take hold.
            Anyway, that is my story. One thing for sure is I always thought getting stabbed would really hurt, I didnt feel a thing. Only way I knew was (after I broke the stabbers nose) I felt something running down my leg and thought I peed myself, reached down to feel it and it was thicker than pee..then it triggered in my mind what had just happened.
            There was a time when I was going to kill that dude out of revenge.

But nowdays I think he might have saved my life.

Guy who saved my life (the doctor that is) is named Dr. Fox. If you are on here Dr. Fox get a hold of me, would love to buy you a beer and a giant steak.
            Wow, what a story. Glad you made it.

Not sure why but your story reminded me of the Hunger Games. Maybe it's the way you wrote the story or the mention of morphine.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Originally posted by TxTyler View Post
                Wow, what a story. Glad you made it.

Not sure why but your story reminded me of the Hunger Games. Maybe it's the way you wrote the story or the mention of morphine.
                LOL, glad you enjoyed it.

I smile every day now. I lived a pretty rough life and my kids think I was something from the book outsiders. LOL

I was a bit ashamed of my scars on my body, but a bit proud also now. They are real tattoees.

I used to love to fight, like Alzado who said he never met a man he didnt want to fight. Well, that was all cool till that one night that changed my world. Praise the Lord. And may God bless Louis Randalll Hernandez.****head is lucky if he is still alive, I had friends after his ***.

Comment

16 yrs old, spending the summer in Houston withy dad. Was out with my older cousins playing basketball at a "rough" park. Had been thr for a couple hours, when in the middle of our game, a guy walked onto the court, pulled his gun and shot the guy guarding me twice on the chest. Now I grew up in the country, town of 1500, so I had never seen anyone get shot. Let alone murdered. The guy who fired the gun was behind so it all scared me crapless. Everyone scattered and I just froze. My cousins were screaming run but I couldn't move. After about 5 secs I came back to earth and turned on the jets.

Have never been closer than that. That guy could've shot me too. For just standing there or anything. Never played ball there again!!!

Comment

Was in a head on wreck on Boerne stage rd back in 1986 , I had just left a buddy's house and had only traveled about 100 yards heading towards I-10 , I woke up 10 days later in intensive care & they told me I was dead when life flight landed with me , suffered intense head trauma. I thank the good lord every day for giving me a second chance !!

Comment

Ttt

Comment

1997 had an exwife try to poison me , 2004 steped backward on a rattle snake in south texas , god saved me both times.

Comment

Almost was killed by a tornado. And I don’t mean just seeing the twister from a distance either. It dropped down so fast and I had no way of seeing it coming. By the time I heard it all I could do was try to run. Tall Trees had prevented me from seeing it coming as it dropped low. It took everything I had to hang onto a stationary object for dear life to keep from becoming airborne. Then flying debris nearly got me in the end. It took a few days for everything to sink in. It happened so fast.

Comment

Wow, some scary stuff on this one. Was at the lake with my family and friends daughter was 7 at the time it was really windy and I had a few to many beers.They were playing with a little inflatable ball and it got away from them, no problem I swam after it as it flew across the lake in the wind finally caught up to it and swam on back. Soon as I give it back to the kids 5 minutes later it’s taking off again. So being my cocky drunken self I take off after it again. This time I had gotten way out there chasing it down and started to wear down rapidly. I was starting to sink from not having the energy to swim any more so I paddle my tail off to stay afloat. This totally gassed me was starting to black out and breath in water, all I could think of was my daughter is fixing to watch me die.the thought of that and god put one more burst of energy in me. The ball was only 10 Feet away at this time. I closed my eyes and swam as hard as I could finally get to the ball and floated on it throwing up the water I swallowed. While thanking the good lord As I floated back. Probably doesn’t sound like much compared to the other posted here but I thought I was a dead man still randomly think about the fear I felt that day.
                            Last edited by Jcjohnson; 09-12-2018, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by COPPERHEAD View Post
                              I was surveying in the mountains of Utah back in 2007. Had some shell rock give away and lost my footing. I slid a good 50 feet down into a canyon. Had a 50lb gps backpack on my back. On my slide down I tore my dome cable up on my pack. Thats what communicated with the satelites. No way to tell where I was. I tried crawling back up several times and wasnt possible. I couldnt get nobody on a two way radio. They flew us in and dropped us off in the mornings and would pick us up in the afternoons. I mean litetaly in the middle of nowhere. There were prarrie rattlers, mountain lion, and bears on this job. I dang sure didnt want to be walking down that brushy winding canyon. I was easy prey. I finaly headed in the direction I felt best. The brushy trees were nearly impossible to crawl through with the bulky gps pack on my back. As im on my journey I notice something white underneath a rock overhang on the side of the canyon walls. As I ease up there I notice it was a recently killed antelope. Thats when my mind and addrenaline got the best of me. I got on the move super pronto!! I have never been spooked so bad in my life. I walked several miles before I came to a place to crawl back up to the top. Finaly got radio waves and called for help. It was a happy sound hearing the helicopter coming. I spent 7 hours trapped in that canyon. I watched my step extra careful after that. It was a miracle the fall didnt break my neck. The pilot said the weight of the gps pack on my back was the only think that saved me from rolling all the way down. Seing that freshly killed antelope scared me worse than the fall. I also hit a full grown angus bull running 70 mph in the fog. Totaled the truck and bull. I walked out without a scratch. Share your stories
                              I don't know how you found that job, but that sounds like a dream job for me. I would love to be dropped off in the middle of nowhere all day, for a job.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Working...
                                X