Middle of North Texas Annual Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
    Here’s the best buck I have on camera so far. I usually end up killing one that I’ve never seen before so I’m hopeful there’s better. Good luck to everyone this weekend. I’ll be sitting this opener out.

That's a nice one. We never get ours on camera either.

Comment

Good luck this weekend ladies, gents and any munchkins out and about. I haven't gotten excited about it yet for some reason. Lots of golf scheduled during October. It might be awhile for me.
      Let's see some LDPs!

Comment

Hard to believe that no one in our fine area went out this weekend? Not even a bad report? Surely someone saw sumthin?

Comment

I saw a bunch of deer, just nothin to write home about. Weather was sure nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven’t even hunted yet. Grandkids had baseball games this weekend so that’s a priority for me. Besides, I’m retired and I can go any day. I’ll be hunting in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
              Hard to believe that no one in our fine area went out this weekend? Not even a bad report? Surely someone saw sumthin?
              Oh, i got a bad report for you. I went out this weekend with no real expectations. I got to the stand i intended to hunt and checked the camera card and put out some corn on Friday late afternoon. I checked the camera card Friday evening. Not one good buck on camera for two weeks. The reason? Two hogs, each around 250 lbs each (or more), have invaded the area and are hanging around all during the night. Ugh. Oh well, maybe i can get a pig. So i'm in the quad pod early Saturday morning. I see a doe and a yearling. Meh. Then a little later, about 10 minutes before sunrise, i see a little buck slipping in. I'm look through the field glasses. To my surprise there is a big buck in front of him. He's one of our better bucks. I decided to go ahead and shoot him. The situation was PERFECT. The deer was 18 yards away, quartering away, with not a care in the world. I get the bow, experience a little adrenalin dump, and get ready to shoot. I line up the shot, and send it. I didn't do it right, i was too casual. Instead of taking a deep breath, exhaling, aiming for the smallest spot i can imagine, going full blown assassin, and releasing, i took a 'good' aim and sent the arrow. I knew immediately i hit the deer high. But he took off and rolled up a in a pile of dust 30 yards later. When the dust settled, no deer. I waited and hour and a half, trailed blood for two hours, and eventually jumped the deer. I went back to camp, ran a couple of errands, and went back to search again at 3:30 in the afternoon. After doing near hand to hand combat with a rattlesnake (we won), we found blood and continued the trail. Eventually the blood dried out, and we lost the trail. Went back and looked for three more hours this morning. Nothing. I have to hope i just flesh wounded him and he will survive. We'll see. I'm just sick. Never again will i be that casual about a shot. Dang it. This is him~

I hope i get a chance at redemption and that the coyotes didn't get him. Ugh.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by mikemorvan; 10-02-2022, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                Oh, i got a bad report for you. I went out this weekend with no real expectations. I got to the stand i intended to hunt and checked the camera card and put out some corn on Friday late afternoon. I checked the camera card Friday evening. Not one good buck on camera for two weeks. The reason? Two hogs, each around 250 lbs each (or more), have invaded the area and are hanging around all during the night. Ugh. Oh well, maybe i can get a pig. So i'm in the quad pod early Saturday morning. I see a doe and a yearling. Meh. Then a little later, about 10 minutes before sunrise, i see a little buck slipping in. I'm look through the field glasses. To my surprise there is a big buck in front of him. He's one of our better bucks. I decided to go ahead and shoot him. The situation was PERFECT. The deer was 18 yards away, quartering away, with not a care in the world. I get the bow, experience a little adrenalin dump, and get ready to shoot. I line up the shot, and send it. I didn't do it right, i was too casual. Instead of taking a deep breath, exhaling, aiming for the smallest spot i can imagine, going full blown assassin, and releasing, i took a 'good' aim and sent the arrow. I knew immediately i hit the deer high. But he took off and rolled up a in a pile of dust 30 yards later. When the dust settled, no deer. I waited and hour and a half, trailed blood for two hours, and eventually jumped the deer. I went back to camp, ran a couple of errands, and went back to search again at 3:30 in the afternoon. After doing near hand to hand combat with a rattlesnake (we won), we found blood and continued the trail. Eventually the blood dried out, and we lost the trail. Went back and looked for three more hours this morning. Nothing. I have to hope i just flesh wounded him and he will survive. We'll see. I'm just sick. Never again will i be that casual about a shot. Dang it. This is him~

Dang Mike, thats a bummer. I hope he shows back on camera soon. Take out some revenge on those worthless hogs next time.

Comment

Dang it it happens to everyone. I bet you hit him in the backstrap he will survive as long as it doesn’t get infected!

Comment

Hate to hear that. Hopefully he'll give you another chance. I shot a pig and a coon. Filled feeders and put out a couple new cameras. The boys shot a couple boxes of .22 at camp. My wife about stepped on a rattlesnake. The most exciting thing we saw was an antelope on 222 between Throckmorton and Seymour. I'd heard they were around but hadn't seen one till Saturday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Antelope.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	24693378

Comment

Wow, had not idea Antelope had moved into that area. Is this a new thing?

ac

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        This ol boy has not been feedin on my spot, but I hope the world famous cross country golf cart racer (my buddy Michael), runs one through him Saturday.

It’s supposed to be 51 Sunday morning, I may go full loin cloth, or less.

Good luck to everyone this weekend!

He killed him yesterday morning.

Comment

Great deer, great pic! Love tat flyer on the left side...congrats to Michael!

ac

Comment

Nice deer congrats!

Comment

Heck yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats to Michael!