Middle of North Texas Annual Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
    We filled all the feeders a couple weeks ago ( I say we, all I did was pay for the feed, the boys did the rest ) got a few pictures of some 2-3 year olds, they look pretty good, we have recovered from the horrible draught we went through, last year we finally had age groups up to 5-6 year olds. Boys are there now, no dove, they paid to hunt over by Holiday this morning, using dry creek outfitters, he has a bunch of dove from what i am told. They are going to check our other place in Foard County this evening, usually some birds there to shoot at.
    Did they have a good hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
      All and Any are Welcome here!
      Even okies with no bucks.

Comment

If you were going to do a small throw and grow plot what would you toss out? Thinking of gulf rye and maybe just mix a bag or two of the no till mix.

I’ve got a few areas with bare dirt and should be able to find something to drag it with before and after.

What would you mix and throw out? 2-3 acres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
            If you were going to do a small throw and grow plot what would you toss out? Thinking of gulf rye and maybe just mix a bag or two of the no till mix.

I’ve got a few areas with bare dirt and should be able to find something to drag it with before and after.

What would you mix and throw out? 2-3 acres.

Ryan,
            At our place we have two landowners owners and our property is divided by a farm to market road.
            We have 300 acres of wheat on our 1800 acre side. One field is 45 acres and directly across the FM road from our 600 acre side and a 80 acre oat field.
            Our observations have been in early season they like them both equally. Later on when it gets cold, the pasture is dead and the rut is over they prefer the oats.
            We have tried rye grass in 1-2 acre spots way in the back away from our other fields and it never came up.

I would go oats on a 2-3 acre spot

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
              Even okies with no bucks.
              You have some monsta's up there!

Comment

I’ve found that deer don’t eat rye, but cattle do.

Comment

In my experience Rye will come up pretty easy and look good but the deer don't care for it too much.

Comment

Stonewall county....A reminder of wetter times.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                      Ryan,
                      At our place we have two landowners owners and our property is divided by a farm to market road.
                      We have 300 acres of wheat on our 1800 acre side. One field is 45 acres and directly across the FM road from our 600 acre side and a 80 acre oat field.
                      Our observations have been in early season they like them both equally. Later on when it gets cold, the pasture is dead and the rut is over they prefer the oats.
                      We have tried rye grass in 1-2 acre spots way in the back away from our other fields and it never came up.

I would go oats on a 2-3 acre spot

Will oats come up good on a spot that’s not disced? The place I have in mind is a field that used to be planted every year by the folks that leased for cattle except for the last 2 years. There’s a few spots that doesn’t have much grass/weeds and I think I can get a decent stand up. It’s about 12 acres total but I’m not spending the time or money without anyone helping for the whole field.

I wanted to do some rye cause I know it will come up. I know it’s not the best for deer but also don’t want to spend alot of money on something that won’t come up without much fertilizer or preparation. Not much rain in the forecast and I’m limited on what dates I can get seed out. Probably 2nd weekend of October.

Cattle folks pulled their herd off this summer so no fighting them this year. It doesn’t look like they will be putting any cows back on either with our solar farm moving in. Good for this year but not sure what to think going forward if they find new folks to lease it. We’ve had a good relationship for several years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
                        Will oats come up good on a spot that’s not disced? The place I have in mind is a field that used to be planted every year by the folks that leased for cattle except for the last 2 years. There’s a few spots that doesn’t have much grass/weeds and I think I can get a decent stand up. It’s about 12 acres total but I’m not spending the time or money without anyone helping for the whole field.

I wanted to do some rye cause I know it will come up. I know it’s not the best for deer but also don’t want to spend alot of money on something that won’t come up without much fertilizer or preparation. Not much rain in the forecast and I’m limited on what dates I can get seed out. Probably 2nd weekend of October.

Cattle folks pulled their herd off this summer so no fighting them this year. It doesn’t look like they will be putting any cows back on either with our solar farm moving in. Good for this year but not sure what to think going forward if they find new folks to lease it. We’ve had a good relationship for several years.

They disc all ours every year. Rye just never came up for us. We didn't try very hard to make it good. One of our baseball guys brought an old drag he had made years ago. We just threw it on top of what we had drug.
                        It might work for you thou.
                        Best of luck with it.

Comment

Here’s the best buck I have on camera so far. I usually end up killing one that I’ve never seen before so I’m hopeful there’s better. Good luck to everyone this weekend. I’ll be sitting this opener out.

Comment

This ol boy has not been feedin on my spot, but I hope the world famous cross country golf cart racer (my buddy Michael), runs one through him Saturday.

It’s supposed to be 51 Sunday morning, I may go full loin cloth, or less.

Good luck to everyone this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              This ol boy has not been feedin on my spot, but I hope the world famous cross country golf cart racer (my buddy Michael), runs one through him Saturday.

That is a nice one, looks plenty mature and fat, hope y'all get him.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Dang Dale, if ya get him on the ground your feed bill will be cut in half!

Comment

Working...
                                X