Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mgperez View Post

This is a Magnus Stinger at work on my leg. Even with poor shot placement it almost killed me. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

****, explain what happened please

Guessing no pass through?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
      ****, explain what happened please

Guessing no pass through?

No pass through good blood trail though.

Hunting partner stabbed me with a nocked arrow while walking.

Comment

Originally posted by saggybows12 View Post
        My dad shoots grizzly stik’s out of his recurve. I was very impressed with them, I’m thinking about shooting them in 125 gr.

Yes sir they have some good stuff

Comment

I’m gonna stick with the 125 Grain Slick tricks 1” Diameter. Keep in mind they look small but four blades cut close to or as much as a broader 2 or 3 blade.

I’ve heard and seen some great results from the G5 Montec Carbon Steel, indestructible, (I was not a fan of sharpness and inability to replace blades but I’ve been told the CS are sharper than the other Montecs). I’ll attach some photos from a broadhead test, I haven’t tried them myself I’ve only used the Strikers.

Steel force and Magnus are two other options to explore if you don’t like slick trick. These two are commonly referred to me.

Shoot whatever you have confidence in, make good judgement, NO quartering to shots and NO MECHANICALS!!!!!

Anyone else have recommendations that have worked well on the Nilgai???

Are frontal shots off the table?

That leg wound is crazy, glad you made it through that and can joke about it now but it's a reminder of what can happen out there in the sticks. I carry a tourniquet and quick clot and a small IFAK whenever there's sharp things or bang sticks involved in case something goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            Are frontal shots off the table?

That leg wound is crazy, glad you made it through that and can joke about it now but it's a reminder of what can happen out there in the sticks. I carry a tourniquet and quick clot and a small IFAK whenever there's sharp things or bang sticks involved in case something goes away.

Correct.

Yeah for sure it was a scary time I thought I was a goner. I bled until I passed out having the longest dream of my whole life in a matter of seconds I woke up to face slaps. My friends were getting tourniquets tied and applying pressure when I collapsed. I phoned a friend when I woke up to tell him I was done I really thought so. We were a long way from the road in the mountains of Hawaii. I ended up getting flown to a better hospital then the first one I arrived at. Plenty more to the story maybe I’ll write it down someday.

Good on you for being prepared! [emoji109]

Comment

^^^^pardon me, frontal not quartering to I misread your question. Not sure on that man I’ve never tried. I’d still avoid it though just my opinion.

Comment

Correct.

Yeah for sure it was a scary time I thought I was a goner. I bled until I passed out having the longest dream of my whole life in a matter of seconds I woke up to face slaps. My friends were getting tourniquets tied and applying pressure when I collapsed. I phoned a friend when I woke up to tell him I was done I really thought so. We were a long way from the road in the mountains of Hawaii. I ended up getting flown to a better hospital then the first one I arrived at. Plenty more to the story maybe I’ll write it down someday.

Good on you for being prepared! [emoji109]

Sheeeeesssh, must have knicked an artery?

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
                  My group drew 11/4-11/8. Looking forward to getting back out there! Haven't drawn the last 2 years

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
                  Our group also drew 11/4 - 11/8. It will be our first go at Laguna.

Comment

My son and I drew for 12/16-12/20. Am really looking forward to it. This will be his first trip down there and my 6th. He drew Devils River last year and we had a blast on that hunt. I can’t wait to show him Laguna.

Comment

I’m gonna stick with the 125 Grain Slick tricks 1” Diameter. Keep in mind they look small but four blades cut close to or as much as a broader 2 or 3 blade.

I’ve heard and seen some great results from the G5 Montec Carbon Steel, indestructible, (I was not a fan of sharpness and inability to replace blades but I’ve been told the CS are sharper than the other Montecs). I’ll attach some photos from a broadhead test, I haven’t tried them myself I’ve only used the Strikers.

Steel force and Magnus are two other options to explore if you don’t like slick trick. These two are commonly referred to me.

Shoot whatever you have confidence in, make good judgement, NO quartering to shots and NO MECHANICALS!!!!!

Anyone else have recommendations that have worked well on the Nilgai???

Good to know Slick trick 125 gr magnums work well on nilgai. That has been my go to broadhead for many years. I have taken some 200 plus pound hogs with them but never a nilgai.

In my opinion I feel that mechanicals are only good for soft animals like whitetail. The hide and thickness on nilgai and big pigs are another story.

Comment

Anyone know if the Legend got drawn this year? I know he's on this site but I'm not sure of his username.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                          Anyone know if the Legend got drawn this year? I know he's on this site but I'm not sure of his username.
                          Think your referring to Mr Public

Try to reach out and ask him, but I know that if he drew he will likely get it done out there once again

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                            Think your referring to Mr Public

Try to reach out and ask him, but I know that if he drew he will likely get it done out there once again
                            No, that's not who I'm talking about. The "Laguna Legend" doesnt post here much but he knows more about lanwr than probably anyone alive. He taught Mr Public a few things about lanwr.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                              No, that's not who I'm talking about. The "Laguna Legend" doesnt post here much but he knows more about lanwr than probably anyone alive. He taught Mr Public a few things about lanwr.

Really, then I'm wondering and very curious who you are talking about-- would be nice if he would post tips on here

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
                                Good to know Slick trick 125 gr magnums work well on nilgai. That has been my go to broadhead for many years. I have taken some 200 plus pound hogs with them but never a nilgai.

In my opinion I feel that mechanicals are only good for soft animals like whitetail. The hide and thickness on nilgai and big pigs are another story.
                                I put a rage extreme thru a 200lb plus boar hog several years ago. Zipped thru him like it did on every deer I shot with them. Maybe I can find a picture.
                                I guess I’m one of the crazy Bowhunters out there. I have always carried rage extremes and adding in Iron Wills this year to my Laguna quiver. I won’t hesitate to grab either arrow and send it!

Comment

Working...
                                X