Whole home generator warnings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
    That's not what our Generac guy did. We had a survey on EXACTLY what was important to us and deciphered what we need for our [emoji537]. Have not missed a beat in 10.5 years running. Paid for itself probably the 1st year we were here. All my neighbors noticed and bought one also.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    10.5 years same machine??
    That speaks volume!

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
      I'm looking real hard at them now. My company is a generac dealer so I can get one at 6% above cost. I've been looking at the 22kw whole home guardian and running off of a propane tank. Anyone with experience with generac?
      I read that a 16kw propane whole home generac will burn approximately 1.7 gallons of propane an hour at 50% load. That would get expensive real quick and actually was a deal breaker for me. I'm going to go the big portable route with the plug/breaker switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
        Why would they intentionally sell you a cheaper unit?
        So you move forward with the purchase and they make a sell.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
          I'm looking real hard at them now. My company is a generac dealer so I can get one at 6% above cost. I've been looking at the 22kw whole home guardian and running off of a propane tank. Anyone with experience with generac?
          The reviews in general are not good. We have one at the ranch, and it has had lots of issues.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            I don't know about down there but up here most propane generators are set up to kick on every once in a while automatically for test runs. Staining a log house up here that had one and it would kick on about once a week or so and run just a bit.
            The huge backups at UW also kick on every so often to make sure they are ready when needed, they are diesel powered mostly.

Generac is the preferred brand up here for sure.
            Yes they are set up that way. We have had 2 in our family that will exercise weekly as scheduled, but wont run under a load when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
              Why would they intentionally sell you a cheaper unit?

Because so many people are simply looking for the lowest bidder

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                I read that a 16kw propane whole home generac will burn approximately 1.7 gallons of propane an hour at 50% load. That would get expensive real quick and actually was a deal breaker for me. I'm going to go the big portable route with the plug/breaker switch.

Yea, i hear that. At 50% load, a 250 gal propane tank would last about 6(ish) days if my math is correct. My only problem with gasoline is having a place to store it or it going bad over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                  Just ordered a 36kw Cummins, going to have a slab poured and insulated 20x20 small building built over it and the well. Will post pics when finished
                  What do you think the total cost for that is gonna be, including the filled propane tank?

Y'all have lots of natural disasters up that way?

Comment

Wonder how long the run on generators will last. Probably won’t see any in stores for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                      What do you think the total cost for that is gonna be, including the filled propane tank?

Idk about a 36KW, but i see a 30KW Generac from Electric Generators Direct is $9,897. So its around that ballpark. And probably another $2500 for full installation

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post

$12,000 generator
                        $2,500 install
                        $3000-5000 building

Not far from you probably 50-60 miles but lose electricity quite a bit living out in the country.

Comment

I've gone back and forth on installing a whole home generator and have decided it's just not worth the huge cost. I put in a 2500 gallon water tank that is about 20' of elevation above the house. I also put in a bypass so I go directly from the tank to my house bypassing all pumps/filters. I'll only get about 8-10psi of water pressure but it will give me water for an extended period of time without needing power for the pumps.

That leaves me needing to keep a fridge, portable heater or portable A/C depending on season, coffee pot, and microwave as items I want to run. One of the 4500 inverter types with a 100lb tank on wheels will run for quite a while. I always have at least 2 20-lb tanks for the grill (one in operation and one spare). Perhaps getting a pair of slightly smaller units that can run in parallel would make even more sense as I'd have a backup if one fails...

For cooking, a 15K BTU butane cooktop is safe for indoor cooking and will give me a burner than doesn't need electricity.

Lots of freeze dried foods already stocked up, batteries, candles, water purification, etc. and I'm good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                            Just ordered a 36kw Cummins, going to have a slab poured and insulated 20x20 small building built over it and the well. Will post pics when finished
                            This guy here knows what brand to buy. I'm not a dodge guy, but that Cummins is the way to go

Comment

Originally posted by TripleP View Post
                              Hey Brett good to see you old buddy.
                              Hey hey hey! I didn't know you were on here.

Comment

Oh yeah!! Really my only form of social media!!

Comment

Working...
                                X