No announcement yet.

Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic stuff Booner! Headed up to my place tomorrow to get some much needed mowing done. Been a while since I’ve been there. Having a baby puts things on hold. Definitely interested to see how your sanctuary’s go! I’ve been wanting to do that, but once you cut there’s no going back. Just haven’t nailed down a plan yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very cool! Looking forward to more updates

Comment

Really great thread!!! Keep it up!!!

Comment

While we were up last weekend we cycled the Trophy Rock Cedar Pop camera. The cedar post is getting pretty slick!

If you haven’t tried the Trophy Rock on a post, give it a try. I’ve been impressed.

Comment

Although we are on a ridge a couple hundred feet above the valley floor you wouldn’t believe how much mud materializes with every rain! On our last trip we had our first load of rock delivered. I know it isn’t sexy but I can tell you that I’m excited to start the process of rocking the high traffic areas!

3” rock will be a great base but it will wear you out. Got it spread with the box blade but heavy raked the edges until the heavy rake quit on me. This is the first of five or six loads that we will need. For those that don’t recognize the barn, that’s because it’s actually junk free for the first time (likely ever). I spent a few hours cleaning it out.

While at the Nashoba lease I loaded up the shooting bench that Dad built 25 years ago. For those who know me know that refurbishing the late Mr. Hunt’s handiwork will be a labor of love.

More to come on this.

Comment

Congrats! Always something to do, But SO SATIFYING when you step back & look when you get through!
              Your piece of heaven is lookin great!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                Congrats! Always something to do, But SO SATIFYING when you step back & look when you get through!
                Your piece of heaven is lookin great!

Thank you, Sir. Indeed! ALWAYS something else to do, which is the fun of it.

It’s a journey...

Comment

During our last outing it became clear that we need to have dedicated, comfortable campfire chairs. Sitting around in bag chairs just isn’t going to cut it.

We have two older Adirondack chairs there so I figure I’d try my hand at building a few more. Having a matching set is the goal.

Lord only knows how old this one is.

At this point I had a thought that this could get expensive if I cannot build these! [emoji15]

Home Depot had what I needed. I bought furring strips for much of this rather than common boards.

Using the existing pieces as my pattern, the chop saw and jig saw made quick work to this point.

Not a perfect copy but close enough! There will be minor modifications to the next ones.

Now it’s time to make two more.

Comment

Great job!
                    I may have to try the mineral rock post idea. I didn’t have much luck with trophy Rick at my place but willing to give this another chance. Is it a cedar tree you cut off and trimmed up or just a cedar post you buried. How did you attach the rock to the top?

Comment

Booner, I check in on this thread every now and then and catch up. Amazing ! I’ve bought and improved a couple places in my life. It’s satisfying work. If I were younger, I’d be your neighbor !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Booner, I check in on this thread every now and then and catch up. Amazing ! I’ve bought and improved a couple places in my life. It’s satisfying work. If I were younger, I’d be your neighbor !
                        I’d be glad to have you as a neighbor any time!

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                        Great job!
                        I may have to try the mineral rock post idea. I didn’t have much luck with trophy Rick at my place but willing to give this another chance. Is it a cedar tree you cut off and trimmed up or just a cedar post you buried. How did you attach the rock to the top?
                        The Trophy Rock Cedar Pop idea was a suggestion from Darton. He did this on his place with good results. Not sure if he holds the patent but that’s where I got it from.

This is a live cedar tree that I cut off. I screwed three inch decking screws two inches from
                        the top and used electric fence wire to keep the rock in place. Every couple of months I tighten down the wire to keep it in place. It’s been there since last year. Doing so keeps the mineral in place, not allowing the deer to push the mineral out of camera range.

It’s also in a perfect shooting lane from my Millennium hang on! [emoji2955]

Comment

Gonna have to give it a try

Comment

With the assistance of Molly and Mr. Hunt we got the last three chairs constructed. This was his first real usage of the chop saw and jig saw. All in all a good first effort!

Next stop will be the campfire test!

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post

With the assistance of Molly and Mr. Hunt we got the last three chairs constructed. This was his first real usage of the chop saw and jig saw. All in all a good first effort!

Next stop will be the campfire test!
                              I'm super impressed!! You've got skills!

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                                I'm super impressed!! You've got skills!

Getting the kids to participate and cut the build time by ~30% was the biggest feat! [emoji12]

Comment

Working...
                                X