DIY Home Pest Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Home Pest Control

What chemicals (liquid/powder/etc) do y’all use for controlling insects in and around your yards? And where/how do you apply (mostly asking about the powders).

I’ve used permethrin and silica gel a bit but just applying to the exterior perimeter of the house and shed.

I've used Demon in the past, but it seems to be weaker than it used to be. In for answers on what actually works these days.

Comment

We use diatomaceous earth around our house.

Comment

In another post from a week or so ago, it seemed most people used Ortho Home Defense

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
          We use diatomaceous earth around our house.

I read that DE doesn’t work after it gets wet... anybody know if this is true?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
            In another post from a week or so ago, it seemed most people used Ortho Home Defense

Thanks. Looks like it uses bifenthrin.

Wonder if that’s more potent than permethrin. I always have a bunch of that around since I use it on my hiking clothes for chiggers, ticks, etc.

Comment

I spray the house once a month with bifen xts.. spray the yard with demon or spectracide on the hose for fleas and ants.. Bifen kills ants well so I'll spray any mounds with it..

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                Thanks. Looks like it uses bifenthrin.

Wonder if that’s more potent than permethrin. I always have a bunch of that around since I use it on my hiking clothes for chiggers, ticks, etc.

This might be a good choice for general insects like bugs, ants, spiders but if you are targeting potential termite activity then this is not as effective as it will act as a repellent in most cases. Best use for termites is termidor that is non odor & they can’t detect it and it works as a transfer kill effect mechanism & is much more effective

Comment

I alternate Bifen and Demon. Bifen in the yard is great for mosquitoes.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                    This might be a good choice for general insects like bugs, ants, spiders but if you are targeting potential termite activity then this is not as effective as it will act as a repellent in most cases. Best use for termites is termidor that is non odor & they can’t detect it and it works as a transfer kill effect mechanism & is much more effective

Thanks. Any idea if this is a termite? We had a small infestation in our kitchen and I believe these are ants.

Comment

Three distinct body segments looks to be an ant. I don’t believe termites have that distinction. Others with more knowledge & experience should be able to help identify as well

Comment

As a PCO I say call a pro.
                        As a regular dude, that does as much DIY as possible, I say go to domyown.com and read the labels.
                        Demand CS for general pests, Onslaught fastcap for spiders/scorpions.
                        for termites, fleas, german roaches (if you can't keep your place clean) and bed bugs, call a pro. you will wish you did if you dont. lol

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                          Thanks. Any idea if this is a termite? We had a small infestation in our kitchen and I believe these are ants.

not a termite.

Comment

I apply a gradual to the yard as directed 3-4 times a year. I will spear a heavy application around the foundation of the house when I do this as well. Every time, I use a different mfg. as I was told by our local lawn/garden shop, it will keep from building up any tolerance to particular brand.

Comment

I had a pest control company come out and spray for fleas once and here is the list of chemicals they used, the guy said to go to Do My Own Pest Control or Do It Yourself Pest Control and get the chemicals myself and would save a ton of money. This was from my notes on my phone so I'm not positive on how it was mixed or sprayed.

A lot of the stuff at box stores is the same chemical but heavily diluted.

Talstar P (0.008%); 25 gallon
                              Bifen LP Insecticide Granules (0.2%); 8lbs
                              Prentox ExciteR (66%); 25 gallon
                              NyGard IGR (0.001%); 25 gallon
                              Ultracid Flea IGR (0.88%); 25 oz

Comment

Working...
                              X