A frustrating thing about getting older

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A frustrating thing about getting older

I've always prided myself in being handy around the house. Maybe it is because I have been a desk-jockey work wise that I've felt the need to release my inner "blue-collar man" at home. (It also gives me an excuse to collect tools.) I've steadfastly refused to pay someone to make repairs that I can do - or figure out how to do - myself. Father Time has started tapping me on the shoulder lately to say "you're gonna have to call somebody". It started the last time I tried to get on the roof. The most recent episode was yesterday when I was going to replace the faucet fixture on a bathroom sink. Simple, right? I've done it many times. I found however that I no longer have the flexibility required to turn myself into the pretzel required to squeeze my upper body into a sink cabinet. Then while laying on my back looking up to remove the supply lines my positional vertigo kicked in, the world started spinning and I got stuck for a few minutes. When I finally extricated myself I had to go lie down to keep from throwing up. So now I am going to make some plumber's truck payment for about 30 minutes of work.
    Last edited by jerp; 07-08-2021, 09:52 AM.

Yep, me too. I found the new "me" in that respect about 7 or 8 years ago. Its a way of life now that I've gotten used to it. Good luck!

Comment

Getting older sucks. But one thing that's nice is having enough disposable income to be able to afford to hire somebody to do something I don't enjoy doing myself every now and then. When I was young, my body would allow me to do anything that needed to be done. And my bank account required me to do anything that needed to be done myself, whether I knew how and/or wanted to do it myself or not.

Comment

Been there for a while. Calling the electrician today to replace some ceiling fans........

Comment

Last time I was under the sink when I bared down to put a little extra on a stuck nut I pushed my shoulder through the bottom of the cabinet!! The particle board did not hold my weight up well!! So I got to do plumbing and wood work all in one!!!
          I guess I can blame this on old age too as I have gained weight!!!!

Comment

I hear ya! I used a chain saw too long after the first ice storm we got around December. Got ‘er done, but got tennis elbow for my trouble. I understand it usually takes a year for it to heal. Wishing now I had just paid some younger guy to come do it!!!

Comment

Toughest part of life.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

This reminds me, I need to start another thread about goin blind

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  I've always prided myself in being handy around the house. Maybe it is because I have been a desk-jockey work wise that I've felt the need to release my inner "blue-collar man" at home. (It also gives me an excuse to collect tools.) I've steadfastly refused to pay someone to make repairs that I can do - or figure out how to do - myself. Father Time has started tapping me on the shoulder lately to say "you're gonna have to call somebody". It started the last time I tried to get on the roof. The most recent episode was yesterday when I was going to replace the faucet fixture on a bathroom sink. Simple, right? I've done it many times. I found however that I no longer have the flexibility required to turn myself into the pretzel required to squeeze my upper body into a sink cabinet. Then while laying on my back looking up to remove the supply lines my positional vertigo kicked in, the world started spinning and I got stuck for a few minutes. When I finally extricated myself I had to go lie down to keep from throwing up. So now I am going to make some plumber's truck payment for about 30 minutes of work.

Moseley men are moving to the same space.

Pops - (a man than can fix everything/anything, from running and repairing every piece of equipment to mankind, multiple types of welding, electrical, plumbing...you know the kind - 79 with back, knee , shoulder and hand issues, to go with eye floaters.

Then me....

Healthy enough yet to do any of the above things...but not competent enough to do them at the speed or to the satisfaction of Pops

Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

All this is why I hatched a boy 30 years ago. He does a lot of stuff I can't do anymore. Gotta plan ahead.

Comment

... and then there are the readers to tell if it is a flat-head or phillips
                      (or a nail )

Comment

Just don't use that bathroom sink.

Should start a green screen help thread, I would rather pay someone on here then call and get ripped off.
                        Last edited by Bassdeer; 07-08-2021, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                          ... and then there are the readers to tell if it is a flat-head or phillips
                          (or a nail )
                          I can relate to this!

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            All this is why I hatched a boy 30 years ago. He does a lot of stuff I can't do anymore. Gotta plan ahead.
                            I have two of them but I think they saw it coming and moved away. I guess when I write checks now I’ll just be spending the money I’ve saved over the decades

Comment

I used to have that kind of pride! Anymore, if I can't fix it pretty easy I just call somebody. I work pretty hard in a labor-intensive job that I enjoy; when I get home at the end of the day, I'm done for the day!

Comment

Working...
                              X