No announcement yet.

Best 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The gas will do just fine for what you are doing.

Comment

I just spent the last year looking and asking and praying.

I was in your same boat.

I ended up with F250 Diesel. Bought it in December and have wondered why I never went this way before. Pulling is awesome. Ride is awesome.
      The only negative I have found is the payment. I hate payments but other wise.

Love it.

Comment

Don't buy a gas. Resale value and fuel mileage is terrible. Stick with Ford or dodge. Dodge is cheaper, and generally gets better MPG. Ford has much more power and better resale value. Overall, the new fords are better trucks.

I wouldn't touch a 19-20 ram Cummins. They switched to CP4 and have had nothing but problems. It's so bad, that they actually admitted it was a mistake and are going back to a CP3 in 2021.

If you buy a Dodge, get the high output with the Aisin transmission.

Honestly, if you need a diesel, you probably need a 1 ton. 3/4 ton guys always end up putting air bags on the rear. The new 3/4 springs in all trucks are too soft.
        Last edited by Arrowthreat; 01-22-2021, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Have y’all had much trouble with the Def in the first 80k miles? That’s about the time I trade them in. The added cost for maintenance as far as oil changes and things of such isn’t a big deal for me. I just don’t want to be stranded and having to deal with a def issue. My last diesel was used & deleted it right off the back & has been great, but I’m not deleting this one due to warranty. The def is my biggest hold up. I’ve heard good things about the 7.3, but comparing stats online it really doesn’t have that much more than the 6.2 or at least from what I’ve seen.
          Ram is a serious consideration just don’t know much about them and need to drive it.

Comment

Cummins or nothing for me.

You will get your money(or most of it) back on resale of a diesel.

Those saying the new gas burners have a lot of power, they have less than half the torque of the new diesels.

You pull with torque.

Comment

I just got a 2019 3/4 ton diesel Ram. its my first diesel to own and i plan to never go back to gas. it has fantastic torque power for steep hills and fuel miles to make an even comparison to gas truck that diesel is better. highway i get 21-23 mpg unloaded. 13-16 mpg loaded. same goes with Chevy. a buddy of mine has a Chevy diesel and they are pretty close on performance besides Chevy is faster off the line. just depends on what you want the interior to look and feel like.

Comment

I have yet to see a gas anything hold a candle to a diesel. Now if your just occasianally pulling a boat and light stuff in the 3-10K range. Then it may be ok.

But I pull 10-20K regularly and there is NO comparison.

Comment

I have a 2020 megacab 6.4 hemi on 35 inch tires. Everyday driving I average 13.5 to 14 mpg. Pulling my tractor (8K lbs or so) I get between 8 and 10 mpg. Has plenty of power and fantastic interior. Came out of a 2018 cummins dually which got 15.5 mpg unloaded and about 11 pulling. Gas is the way to go unless you pull over about 12K lbs often and more than a few hundred miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
                    Have y’all had much trouble with the Def in the first 80k miles? That’s about the time I trade them in. The added cost for maintenance as far as oil changes and things of such isn’t a big deal for me. I just don’t want to be stranded and having to deal with a def issue. My last diesel was used & deleted it right off the back & has been great, but I’m not deleting this one due to warranty. The def is my biggest hold up. I’ve heard good things about the 7.3, but comparing stats online it really doesn’t have that much more than the 6.2 or at least from what I’ve seen.
                    Ram is a serious consideration just don’t know much about them and need to drive it.
                    I am on 83k in a 16 Powerstroke with all the emissions intact. I haven't had one issue out of the truck.

Comment

I had a 2019 F250 diesel and with black ice and some dumb luck I totaled it. Just picked up a 2021 F250 diesel. I looked at all three both times and still ended up with the Ford. Chevy’s back seat room was horrible and I hated the huge hole in the console. Dodge just didn’t impress me, can’t really point to any one thing.

I don’t tow a lot, just recreational towing of boat and bringing stuff to and from the lease such as vehicles, loads of corn, etc. I will say the diesel, while more out of the box, will hold their value much better than the gas engine.

Comment

I bought the 2020 F250 4x4 7.3 gasser with 3.55 gears. I got out of my 2004 chevy 3500 diesel 4x4. My camper isn't a big camper and I'm not hauling animals anymore, my boat is not big so I triple tow with camper and boat. The 7.3 has a lot of power and is comfortable to drive...all this from a CHEVY GUY!! I'm very happy with my choice, the only thing I might change later is the gears, I will probably change them out to 3.73, couldn't find the truck on the lot anywhere with 3.73 when I needed to get this one. Mileage now with 6600 miles on the truck is 15.7-16.3 unloaded (hand calculated) and 10.3-11.1 towing.

Comment

I drive a 2017 Ford F350 CCSB 4x4 with the 6.2 gas. Extremely happy with it.

I chuckle a little at the gas/diesel comparisons. Its apples to oranges so very hard to compare the two.

Probably the biggest factor for me in going with the gas engine was the up front cost differential and then just the peace of mind in driving a vehicle with a highly reliable engine.

The towing experience is completely different between the two but each one is very capable, just different.

I doubt I will ever own another diesel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not much help but curious on others experience. I've got a '20 Chevy 2500 Duramax with 17,000 miles. It's a heck of a grocery getter and has some get up and go. The only heavy thing I've hauled was an 8200 lb bumper pull travel trailer and it did as you'd expect having over 900ftlbs of torque (which I believe to be the lowest of the new big three's offerings).

*I drove 4 different Fords with the 6.2 in it when working in the field. Not a bad motor, but the diesel can do a lot more, if you feel it's worth the cost.*

Comment

I have never owned a diesel but recently bought a 2020 Chevy 2500 HD with the 6.6 gas engine. I am getting about 14 MPG pulling our 41 ' , 11000 LB fifth wheel and it has plenty of power for that . I have always owned chevy's and the only one I have not liked was the 2019 1500 Silverado that I traded in. It was a dog for power , it had issues pulling a 26' bumper pull camper. My only complaint about my new truck is the seats are uncomfortable , I cut up a mattress topper and put that under my seat covers and it fixed the comfort issue.

Comment

I work in a shop that has ford, gm, and ram, both with gas and diesels in the 3/4-1 ton class of trucks. I have driven them all and really feel they will all do what you need them to do. Personally, I am partial to Ford and purchased a 2020 f250 with the 6.2 and it is great for what I do. After driving them all I can agree the diesel are by far more fun to drive and are flat out hot rods nowadays. That all comes at a price, they all have regen issues. Our trucks idle a lot and they all have issues related to regen. From an unbiased standpoint Cummins is the least problematic followed by ford and gm with a close tie. As far as warranty work Ford and Cummins really try to help you out more on the warranty side. As far as what we have done with gm everything is somehow due to the lack of maintenance or excessive idle time. They really don’t seem to want to help with the warranty side of things, maybe due to the dealers we work with, who knows. As far as the gas vs diesel debate, the gas engines have the power of diesels 20 yrs ago. Back then everyone got done whatever they had to. Just something to keep in mind even though they don’t burn the tires like the diesels do, they are still pretty practical. Just my opinion and experience with the different makes, buy what you like, they are all too expensive anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X