Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice set of bobcats

I didn't think much wanted to mess with a coon but I guess cats do

Somebody posted a pic of a mountain lion grabbing one off of a feeder in Old Mexico I think

Comment

Pretty sure the spouse was surprised by the find, bet it added a few pounds to his weight. Hair and all was inside.

Comment

Thanks for the bait info, been trying to find different baiting options to catch some coyotes/bobcats, had been set out for one week, and haven't caught anything over dirt hole sets.

Comment

For your bobcat sets try some pigeon feathers scattered in the hole and around the set, maybe hang a wing above the set too.

Comment

Well I checked my traps this afternoon and got a little dejected

2 were dug out, not sure if they felt the screen pan covers, smelled them or how but they dug them out without getting caught or throwing the trap

Other 3 were untouched so that was a little encouraging

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
              For your bobcat sets try some pigeon feathers scattered in the hole and around the set, maybe hang a wing above the set too.
              I have feathers and a wing with something shiny hanging over 2 sets, got pictures of bobcats walking through both of the sets for a week. They just haven’t got into it.

Comment

Sounds like your set are good ones Deafishunter. We get pics of bobcats, watched one myself one morning, strolling right by trap sets.
                BT I feel for you, coyotes are pretty wily.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

2 were dug out, not sure if they felt the screen pan covers, smelled them or how but they dug them out without getting caught or throwing the trap

Yeah, I had the same thing as well. 4 traps buried in dirt when they dug around them. Smart dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

BT don’t feel too bad, everyone has traps dug out from time to time. Im sure you know the reasons. It was scented trap, not properly bedded, or he just knows where your trap is in relation to your attractant. I would say that the majority of the traps I have dug are from the scent from a previous catch. In my experience if a coyote digs a trap that doesn’t trigger, he’ll dig it again. I reset the dug trap, make a new set in in front of that one with a clean trap. Nothing feels better that to outsmart the smart ones. GOOD LUCK.

Comment

I don't know what's worse, having them dug up or finding paw prints on the pan that didn't go off.
                      Maybe your snow will show some new areas to set. We look forward to a little dusting for fresh tracks.

Good luck in the coming days. We'll set again this coming Friday through Monday and may be able to leave them running through that next week, spouse is working remotely from home that week. No work at home but he'll have a little time so we can go check every morning. That week will end our season.

Comment

Went out to check traps this morning and found this one. Pretty sure a deer stepped in it, jerked out and trap landed where it was. Think if a coon or something dug it out there would be no way for the chain to end up between broom grass and burnt stick?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5701.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	24640705

So I remade set and added a little red fox pee and a dab of Minnesota Red lure.
                        Went ahead and added a little fresh bait to my pipe dream/flat set and added a little pee and lure to the other flat set

Then about lunch the white stuff started falling, maybe an inch of accumulation

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5706.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	24640706

Maybe it will help mask the traps

Sure wish someone could tell me how to correct this sideways picture crap!!!!

Comment

When I trapped back in the 70’s I always used bait mostly sardines and birds and fish we caught mostly coons and possum.
                          My little brother started trapping a few years back and he uses all scents (coyote bobcat urine) and he does pretty good especially with bobcats.
                          I had a trapper come in for predator control mainly coyotes and he uses baits and a few snares.
                          What do some of you have the best luck with?
                          Thanks

Comment

We use urine and some lures and bait. For coyotes it seems less is more to catch them. Spouse picks up turds when he sees them and uses them for scent post sets with urine.
                            Heck, bobcats will go to a shiny CD hung from a bush.
                            Trail sets on coyotes have produced well for us this year, no bait or scent just a trail set with stepping sticks.
                            Bobcats like a visual it seems, coyotes are more scent oriented up here.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
                              When I trapped back in the 70’s I always used bait mostly sardines and birds and fish we caught mostly coons and possum.
                              My little brother started trapping a few years back and he uses all scents (coyote bobcat urine) and he does pretty good especially with bobcats.
                              I had a trapper come in for predator control mainly coyotes and he uses baits and a few snares.
                              What do some of you have the best luck with?
                              Thanks
                              I think a lot of people put too much emphasis on the bait. The bait/lure is down the line in importance in my opinion to several other factors, mainly trap position in relation to the lure/bait. Just about any bait this time of the year will get a reaction. That being said, if I could only choose one bait/lure it would be Russ Carmens canine call.

Comment

Made some new sets today

Got 4 traps in the ground and 2 already there makes 6 total

Need to put some DPs out to get a few coons that are molesting my one feeder.

Comment

Working...
                                X