No announcement yet.

Receiver hitch rack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd cut a piece a steel about the same size of the LP, paint it white and stencil on with flo green letters or use reflective stick on letters
    "My TX LP #ABC-123"
    Some officers get a little up set if they can't see a LP to run or give if they pull you over. This may take the edge off one of those officers.

Comment

Dimensions

I was wondering what the dimensions are for this rack? I have been looking at them for a while and want to build my own. The store bought racks are too small and to wobbly. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I don't recall exactly, but I think it's about 32" X 54"...outside to outside.

Comment

Dale, you must be one hell of a welder or you use a boat load of grinding wheels!! Dude, that is an awesome look rack!! Do you by chance have any plans for it?

Thx,
          SS

Comment

Although I'm not a welder, I had an idea for an "improvement" that could be incorporated into the design of a hitch rack. I have a store bought version and one of the problems is "wobble" side to side, since there is typically some play between the receiver hitch on the pickup and the bar that slides into it. Not a great artist rendition, but I think it will convey the idea...

Using Dales picture...

Blue= sleeve welded to rack
            Red= L shaped rod that slides inside sleeve
            Green= set bolt with T-handle to tighten L-shaped rod in any position to accomodate various distances between the top of bumper and the receiver hitch.

Of couse, there would actually be two of these; one for either side. The idea being to have a rod that can be adjusted to rest against the top of your bumper on both sides, taking all the side to side "wobble" out and (I believe) strengthening the hitch overall.

[ATTACH]10104[/ATTACH]

Just throwing the idea out there. What do you think?

Comment

Plans? Plans are for building houses!

That would certainly work David, but I can't see it in the mirror......so the wobble doesn't bother me.

Comment

We put reflector tape on the back and sides so people can see it at night, especially in a poorly lighted parking lot.

Comment

If you welded 2, small wheels and tires on it for show, could you call it a trailer? Out here, there's a limit to how far back of the original vehicle anything can extend even with putting red flags on it.

Comment

I think you are allowed 4' in Texas. I know that is how much they allow us to have sticking over the back of our flatbed delivery trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      Plans? Plans are for building houses!
                      I'm sorry....I must have forgotten who I was talking to!!

Comment

To bad it is on a chevy

Comment

Honestly, I'm not a plans guy. If I had plans I'd screw it up! Wasn't tryin to be a smart arse though, kinda looks that way reading it now.

Death From Above, it it were for anything else....I would have had to put wheels and a tongue, and a weight dist. hitch on it.

Comment

It's cool Dale, i was just wondering as it is a nice lookinig rack!

Comment

Looks good Dale.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	hitchrack3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	23819303I've been meaning to build one of those. Nice rack Dale..I like this part ....how you re-enforced the span. Nice work.
                                Darrell

Comment

Working...
                                X