No announcement yet.

neck shots with gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot my first buck in the neck when I was 5 with a 22 hornet. I have probably shot 30-40 dear this way in my lifetime. All of those but one have dropped right where they stood. Middle of the white spot while the deer is looking at you...deadly.

Comment

All of the deer I shoot on our ranch or at buddies places all get neck shots with my .223. At our ranch and friends places all shots are under 200 yards. Having said that there has been numerous places I have hunted that I shot deer with my .270 behind the shoulder because most shots are over 200 yards. It all depends on situation, just happens more often than not I’m in a situation in a blind with deer feeding allowing for a shot with zero marginal error.

When I take neck shots I’ll shoot for about 4-6in past base of the head/neck centered between top and bottom. Does I will ear hole or between eye and ear. But again I don’t do this every where I go, just places where I’m 100% positive I can make that shot no problem.

Comment

I have had success with neck shots. Usually aim a little below the head/ear on a broadside shot. just hit where you aim and she will drop where she stands.

Comment

I always shoot animals with a rifle just below the ear as I was taught as a kid growing up. My German Grandparents always said its a waste of good meat shooting in the shoulder. I've never had an issue with anything running off as they always drop in their tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
            I always shoot animals with a rifle just below the ear as I was taught as a kid growing up. My German Grandparents always said its a waste of good meat shooting in the shoulder. I've never had an issue with anything running off as they always drop in their tracks.
            I like the fact that you was taught that growing up and to me make perfect since about not wasting meat.

Comment

There’s much more/better meat in the neck than the shoulder. I don’t buy the argument/excuse of neck shooting instead of lung/shoulder shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                There’s much more/better meat in the neck than the shoulder. I don’t buy the argument/excuse of neck shooting instead of lung/shoulder shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                That's a fact especially on bucks.

Comment

I like a good neck roast over front shoulders. Once you see a few pictures of deer with their jaws blown off walking around trying eat and drink and slowing dying, it should encourage you to stick to where you have been shooting them.

Comment

For doe I shoot neck half way up..

Comment

Originally posted by Fightinaggies View Post
                      I prefer them looking right at me and putting it right in the throat patch
                      This..................

Comment

I've never shot one in the neck. I like the neck meat. I have shot one right between the eyes with my 7 mag. It makes for a real short tracking job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it's me, I am going here 95% of the time. Buck or doe, unless I want the buck mounted. The back/underside of the ear is generally my aiming point, I will go a little farther back if they are at distance just to provide some room for error. From my experience, this shot allows for little to no chance of jaw blowoff, unless you are not confident in your shot/lack shot skill.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Right in the center. . .
                            Attached Files

Comment

Not sure how a missed neck shot blows the jaw up- sounds like head shots to me. Neck shots I take are 15 inches from jaw

Comment

When a deer is walking straight at me I will take the neck shot. If you wait they will raise their head and look left or right. Wait for them to raise their head and look sideways and take them about halfway between the jaw and shoulder. The higher the better.

Comment

Working...
                                X