Is it my string stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it my string stop?

Carbon Icon, can't get it tuned to save my life. Groups are just okay with field points, but throw a broadhead into the mix and it's anybody's guess. For the sake of full disclosure, I should come clean and admit that I allowed myself to get rusty with ther bow over the last few years. Since leaving my bow only lease and getting on one that allows rifles, I've hunted with a bow 3-4 weekends a year, then switched to guns. That said, I haven't had this much trouble since I started shooting bows 13 years ago. Not long ago, with a previous bow, i was slinging carbon into the heart of a 3d buck target at 70yards with about 90-95% hits, the remainder were in the lungs.....

Okay, now that's outta the way, this Icon won't tune. I had new strings installed and even the tech said he struggled to get it paper tuned. So, after fussing with it, ther only thing I can conver up with is the string stop, here's why I'm doubting it. The string doesn't line up on it centered, it's close, but there's a groove, and it clearly isn't in that groove. So I'm wondering it if is causing inconsistent string travel. Also, on my Black Ice (God I wish I'd never sold that bow), I added an aftermarket stop and set it up with the string actually touching the stop at rest, this one has a small gap.

Do you think adjusting my stop might help me get this rig shooting consistently? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I would guess the stop isn't the main issue. My Elite has an adjustable stop, and the below is on the Bowtech website for a Carbon Icon- https://bowtecharchery.com/bows/carbon-icon/

To increase the effectiveness
    of your string stop dampener
    you want it to maintain
    contact with the string at
    rest. If you have backed
    down the draw weight
    to set your draw to your
    comfort level you may need
    to adjust your string stop as
    your brace height may
    have increased. To do
    this, loosen the side set screw on the riser as shown (Figure 3)
    with a 1/8 hex wrench. Pull out the string stop until it makes
    contact again with the string. Verify that the string stop is
    oriented correctly and retighten the side set screw.

Comment

Have you checked cam timing, and cam lean ? Your arrows the correct spine ?

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
        Have you checked cam timing, and cam lean ?
        This is what I suspect. If the string isn't tracking straight it means the cams are off. And if they are off at rest, the lean is often exacerbated at full draw.

Comment

Yes, cams are in time and do not appear to show any lean.

Comment

Are both the cables inside the marks and both stops hitting at the same time? With new strings recently I still suspect one cable is twisted too much pulling the cam and string over. Without yokes to tune with on binary cams we are a little more limited but can still tune with the cables and/or shims.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
              Are both the cables inside the marks and both stops hitting at the same time? With new strings recently I still suspect one cable is twisted too much pulling the cam and string over. Without yokes to tune with on binary cams we are a little more limited but can still tune with the cables and/or shims.
              Yeah, both cables inside the marks, even with same alignment, not one closer to ome end of the range and the other centered or closer to the other end. That was the first thing I checked.

Comment

You want some gap at rest. 1/16” or so

I bet something else is issue

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  You want some gap at rest. 1/16” or so

I bet something else is issue
                  Not according to Bowtech.....

So I adjusted it until it lines up centered and just touches the string. Not sure if it really helped tuning because it's so windy, but it sure made the bow quieter by a long shot!

The only other thing i can think of is string stretch, my peep is still rotating ever so slightly about every 10-15 shots.

Comment

Ok. Your not saying what’s going on. Take a bare shaft. Stand 5 to 8 ft from it. Shoot the shaft through paper. What does the tear look like. This will get you started.

Comment

just some information.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                        Ok. Your not saying what’s going on. Take a bare shaft. Stand 5 to 8 ft from it. Shoot the shaft through paper. What does the tear look like. This will get you started.
                        Well that's not possible, I'm at the deer lease this weekend and it's 20mph winds.

Essentially, my broadheads refuse to hit with my field points. They'll be an inch low and 3 inches left. Make an adjustment and get them hitting closer and 5 shots later broadheads will be high and right without making another change. If Hoffy's wad open tomorrow I'd drop it off with Aaron but I don't think they are.

Comment

Just wondering: what string did you go with? PM if you want

Comment

It's been a while and i've slept, but i want to say it was Winners Choice.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                              Yeah, both cables inside the marks, even with same alignment, not one closer to ome end of the range and the other centered or closer to the other end. That was the first thing I checked.

How about the stops at full draw? Are they hitting at the same time? In time and in synch are not the same thing. It could also just be a spine or rest tuning issue. I just know from tuning some Bowtechs these are things I had to get right before I could bareshaft tune properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X