IYO, Is college worth it !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That can’t be a yes or no. It just depends on the path

Medical, law, engineering, some sales, and some business would be worth it (I’m sure there’s more). Other paths it would be completely worthless and a trade school or just experience would put you well ahead of others your age. Having a degree or taking a path that requires one doesn’t automatically mean more money though

A: Some college not enough to mean anything
    B: I could have had the same job if I finished my engineering degree but would have had other options. Quite a few engineers do what I do and they don’t make anymore for their degrees
    C: Even if I had finished and took loans out for it all it would have been worth and been able to be paid off quick but as is I came out way ahead by making money while working my way to where I am.

Comment

Yes; bachelors in chemical engineering. Absolutely worth it. Will retire at 60

Comment

A. BBA- Business and Accounting
        B. 100%, couldn’t be where I am today without it
        C. Absolutely

At the end of this month I plan to apply for my Executive MBA so that I will be ready for management positions. I’m 30 y/o making the salary I set a goal for by 30 and without my degree I wouldn’t be where I am. That being said, I started working in my industry when I was 19 so I have 11 years of experience now in banking and I’m young.

My father put himself through LSU with a bachelor’s and master’s in Chemical Engineering and his MD. He was a big proponent of education as am I.

I was fortunate to have mine paid by him and I expect to do the same.

Comment

A: Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering
          B: I use it some each day, but more of my Industrial Engineering classes get used.
          C: WORTH EVERY PENNY. I spent 12 yrs with the primary contractor of the Space Shuttle Program. That paid off my Student loans. Since Leaving that world, My salary has grown considerably, and I couldn't ask for a better opportunity than that in front of me.

IF I had gone and got my MBA early in my career, I could easily be making double what I do now.

YES it is worth it, even if the 1st 10-12 yrs out of college have a monthly payment attached to it.

Comment

Every job/position I've had required a degree.

I don't have one.

Comment

1. BS Geology (Certified Petroleum Geologist)
              2. Definitely use my degree in my field
              3. You cannot put a price on education. For what it's worth it made all the difference in my life. I am so thankful for that priceless gift. Even if I did have to pay for it.

Doesn't work for everyone but it changed my life very much for the good. Don't know where I would be without being college educated.
              Last edited by quarterback; 05-03-2018, 04:41 PM.

Comment

A: BA
                B: I don't use it but it was required when I started
                C: no debt as I work my way they school.

Comment

I'm about to finish my associates in business (2 more courses to take to finish). Can't decide if I want to keep going or just stop and go get a job.

Something to add, a friend always says that your degree gets you your first job, but your first job gets you every job after that.
                  Last edited by KyleW; 05-03-2018, 04:49 PM.

Comment

BBA minor in Finance
                    Yes use at work

No debt, worked through school and locked in a tuition rate young.

For me age 18-23 was the last time in my life I had nothing to worry about and had minimal responsibility. Made life long friends etc. The college days were a blast, and I have the rest of my life to work.

My university helped me prepare for a job as well. Helped edit my resume, did mock interviews, scheduled interviews with a couple companies, introduced to companies on career days. Some of my professors posted job opportunities in their classes my senior year. Practically guaranteed a job out of school even with low GPA.

I would go again ha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

No college for me, I have done exceedingly well. I was a machinist that could weld.
                      Now VP of a large mining service company.

Most of my welders make between $80,000 to $120,000 a year.
                      There is a lot to be said for going to a trade school

Comment

A. MS, Biology
                        B. YES. Been teaching high school biology, and will start teaching Microbiology full time at a local junior college in the fall.
                        C. Completely worth it. Took out student loans for BS and have since repaid those. Paid for MS each semester. No debt.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. I can't stress the value of education enough to my students. They can take away your house, your kids, your money. But they CANNOT take away your education.
                        Last edited by BJ DUPLECHAIN; 05-03-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

A. BS in Psychology (TCU) and MBA (SMU)
                          B. I use both degrees everyday
                          C. It was worth every penny, not because of the education but because of the relationships.

College is not for everyone and it is up to employers to start reinforcing that. If employers make degrees a qualifier for employment, kids will still feel like they NEED a degree. My prediction is that you will start seeing specialized white-collar trade schools that focus on things like sales, accounting, HR, customer service, etc. If/when that happens, I think employers will jump all over the idea of hiring a kid with two years of intensive/focused education.

Comment

]

A- Ph.D.

B- Yes, sort of.

C- I had a little debt when I finished my Ph.D., but I was able to pay it off in less than three years. Yes, it was worth it. A Ph.D. isn’t necessarily required to do what I do, but it doesn’t hurt my chances of building my business in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                              No college for me, I have done exceedingly well. I was a machinist that could weld.
                              Now VP of a large mining service company.

Most of my welders make between $80,000 to $120,000 a year.
                              There is a lot to be said for going to a trade school
                              What this TBH'er said, the trades will be making the most money in the not to distant future. None of the Tide Pod, condom snorting kids want to sweat or get their hands dirty. If I was coming out of HS, TRADES is where I would go!

I have a college degree (teaching certificate with a Health & PE degree with a minor in Biology), used it for 3 years, got out of the teaching field and did other things that did not require a degree and finally came back around and got my elementary certification and Special Ed certification and am a SEBSS teacher for the last 3 years in Lubbock and did this at the ripe old age of 62!

Research and see what is going to be the high paying jobs in the close future. TRADES IS IT!

Comment

You will learn when they get to the age to goto college. You can either support them or not. Other than that they are going to make up their mind to go or not. Really does not matter what your opinion is. And they have options besides you for finances. Anyone can go rack up $200k in student loans and plenty out there dumb enough to do it. I’ll support mine in any higher education that they choose

Comment

Working...
                                X