Mini Split or Window Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either will work just fine.
    Window units have been used for more years than most here have been alive.. $850 is dirt cheap for a mini split that size AND installed..
    A 9,000 BTU window unit is all you need for 400 sq ft.

Comment

100% mini split. Window unit probably doesn’t have heat, mini split SHOULD.

I’m in the same boat. Will be building a 10x12 shed to be a little man cave/storage spot and will be insulating it. Window unit or mini split, and I’m pretty convinced on the mini split.

Edit: for everyone saying it’s too cheap. I had a Chigo at my old house for 4ish years. I “acquired” it from Afghanistan where I know it sat out with ZERO maintenance done to it for at least 4+ years. Looks like you can get them for around $700.
      Last edited by Chase4556; 08-23-2022, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Mini split is coming out of Mexico, I am guessing that’s why the price is so low, I’ll update you guys after I get one up and running! Thanks for the help!

Comment

Going to be doing the same thing on my shop when we get the rebuild done. Building a man cave/saferoom inside it that will be 12x30. Been looking at getting a mini split for it.

Comment

Converted my garage 425 sqft foam insulated installed a 12k btu mini split keeps it ice cold!

Mine cost 2300 installed I believe its a 19 or 20 seer rating! Also the thing is super quiet

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DHyShrGUXw"]Are Mini Split Air Conditioners Worth It? - Top 5 Pros & Cons - YouTube[/ame]

Few things to consider. Pros and cons.

Comment

Mini splits do a good job cooling, but the ones I have experience with where I work seem to require regular cleaning. We've got a high dollar unit in our server room and a couple of Amazon units in various office spaces. After a while they tend to grow some moldy junk and spit it out of the head. I've watched the HVAC contractor clean them and they treat them with a solution and spray the coils down with some type of mini pressure washer type tool; it always looks like a messy job. The HVAC guy made it sound like that's pretty common with mini splits. I'm no expert and just sharing my experience, so take it for what it's worth.

Comment

EER on mini is so much higher than window units...quieter too,,,,But the only con on minis is they AINT too Portable...and window units ARE...whatever if you wanting Heat too make sure its Heat Pump type not Heat strips..or it will cost you in E Bills

Comment

Check out Mrcool diy mini splits. I’ve heard good things about them.

Comment

for the extra 250 the mini split would be best

Comment

but i like the sound of the window units better. When it quiet it hard to sleep. But functional wise, mini split dominates, and being that you are not sleeping in your barn, go with the minisplit.

Comment

Originally posted by Codym View Post
                          Mini splits do a good job cooling, but the ones I have experience with where I work seem to require regular cleaning. We've got a high dollar unit in our server room and a couple of Amazon units in various office spaces. After a while they tend to grow some moldy junk and spit it out of the head. I've watched the HVAC contractor clean them and they treat them with a solution and spray the coils down with some type of mini pressure washer type tool; it always looks like a messy job. The HVAC guy made it sound like that's pretty common with mini splits. I'm no expert and just sharing my experience, so take it for what it's worth.
                          Just got thru cleaning mine and it was a mess. The squirrel cage was covered in built up gunk. Next time I am paying to have it cleaned. Made a huge difference in the performance of the unit.

Comment

Mini split all the way

Comment

I'm looking to cool/heat a 16x16 shack. Concrete slab with sheet metal. No windows but LO said to do whatever we want with it. Done scored some foam board insulation. And purchasing a 3400W Gen/inverter thingamajiggy. Just need to make it tolerable. This will be temporary pending a long term lease/contract.

Could just go with a normal window unit and use propane for heat I guess.

Comment

I like something framed up for a slide in window unit, I just go buy another when one breaks. I don’t like paying all of that money and then relying on someone else to service it for a hunting shack, camper, or backup system.

Comment

Working...
                                X